Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Build you own gas piston AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
CJx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Build you own gas piston AR

If you go to http://www.ar15builder.com/ you can put together your own AR, but I don't see anything on any of the parts that specifies if it is gas piston... can gas piston ARs be custom built and put together at home or must they be manufactured? Are any of the parts on that website gas piston?

You might be a libertarian if you wonder why the definition of liberal contradicts with their views.

There is no left vs. right, no "liberal" vs. "conservative." It's greed for a few vs. prosperity for all, which side are you on?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #2

Liked 1976 Times on 1174 Posts
Likes Given: 424

There are piston kits that the home builder can use.

I think the AR works pretty darn well with the DI gas system though. Some if the puston kits bring their own set of problems to the AR.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 88 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post

I think the AR works pretty darn well with the DI gas system though. Some if the puston kits bring their own set of problems to the AR.
Plus if something ever happens and TSHTF or they ban new purchases of AR's the parts will be a lot harder to get and you have less options as far as replacing parts.

Old 10-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #4

Liked 572 Times on 304 Posts

I agree with them, stay away. It's overpriced , they do fail, and some don't have replacement parts or rebuild kits for them. So your out $300-400 a pop.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If u have to get piston. Spend the money on Adams arms. Stay away from cmmg. Only thing I don't like about my Adams arms is it isn't pinned

Old 10-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #6

Liked 210 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 269

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post

The piston kits add about the weight of a roll of pennies to the AR, depending on which brand, and if you don't have enough mechanical skill to install one, can create more problems than they help. I think I have installed more piston kits than anyone on this forum. I have installed 3 brands; (a) ARES (b) Osprey (c) TNW. All presented their own unique challenges. Some common factors are:
They don't eliminate carbon. They just push it to an easier to get to place.
I don't recommend you use them as a shortcut to troubleshooting or solving a malfunction. In most occasions, spending time with your AR on a table or workbench is better than throwing money at an easily fixed solution. When I install a piston system, I do it as a part of a build, and as a result every aspect of the build I am thinking of how it will work with the piston.
I usually get slickside uppers, as the need for a forward assist is eliminated by removal of the gas rings.
Sometimes when shooters start talking of putting a piston system in, they have an AR that someone or factory did a half assed build on, and they are frustrated that their knowledge is not sufficient to resolve an issue, and people who are supposedly knowledgeable give them bad advice. Unlike what my Drill Sergeants were preaching in basic, you cannot always clean your gun into a repair. If the barrel nut wasn't perfectly straight when the barrel is installed, the gas tube will be at an angle, and you lose gas pressure to cycle the bolt carrier group. If you can hold the bolt face and shake the BCG a little and the carrier drops down a little, your gas rings are worn and need to be replaced. If you buy your gas rings at Brownell's in bulk, you can usually get them for an average of $1 to $1.25 a set. Much cheaper than a piston. You can learn to install a barrel and only cost you the cost of the AR wrench, the barrel, and the gas tube roll pin.
I am one of the biggest piston proponents, but I think before you invest in a piston system, you should get to know your AR and how and why things work on it.
I have a DI 20" AR, and it functions just fine. If your AR is not cycling properly, I suggest you trouble shoot the problem. You might just find you can make it into a highly reliable firearm for not much money with a little effort.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

People Like This 
Old 10-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #7

Liked 210 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 269

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-15-cycling-operation-discussion-35134/
Here is a thread in which most of the issues with piston v. DI were covered at length.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

SSGN_Doc Likes This 
Old 10-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #8
CJx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 View Post
I agree with them, stay away. It's overpriced , they do fail, and some don't have replacement parts or rebuild kits for them. So your out $300-400 a pop.
AK-47s are gas piston, and their reputation for failing hardly sees the light of day. Putting together your own gas piston AR I could see how that would create problems, but a gas piston AR that was build from the ground up to be a gas piston AR by a manufacturer like HK, that's another thing completely I would assume.

I know I was talking about building your own, but just wanted to bring up the point.

You might be a libertarian if you wonder why the definition of liberal contradicts with their views.

There is no left vs. right, no "liberal" vs. "conservative." It's greed for a few vs. prosperity for all, which side are you on?

Old 10-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20037 Times on 11395 Posts
Likes Given: 50556

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJx View Post
AK-47s are gas piston, and their reputation for failing hardly sees the light of day. Putting together your own gas piston AR I could see how that would create problems, but a gas piston AR that was build from the ground up to be a gas piston AR by a manufacturer like HK, that's another thing completely I would assume.

I know I was talking about building your own, but just wanted to bring up the point.
part of the problem with using a gas piston driven system in an AR is that many times the piston parts are proprietary, so replacement parts have to come from that particular manufacterer. with the DI system as long as you are using Mil-Spec parts, you have a much broader range of brands available for use as replacement parts.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
CJx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
part of the problem with using a gas piston driven system in an AR is that many times the piston parts are proprietary, so replacement parts have to come from that particular manufacterer. with the DI system as long as you are using Mil-Spec parts, you have a much broader range of brands available for use as replacement parts.
That is one of the biggest problems I can see with a piston AR. I wouldn't be able to repair a DI or piston AR myself anyway though...