Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Build an upper from 'scratch' ? (AR-15 upper by parts)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1579 Times on 873 Posts
Likes Given: 4802

Default Build an upper from 'scratch' ? (AR-15 upper by parts)

I have had some difficulty finding an upper I like.
(I am also having problems finding an upper I don't like )

Any expericence in building from parts?
Fit Problems with various manufacturer. Other mismatch problems.

I am willing to spring (and borrow) the tools. No problem there.
Just a parts question....

(With my luck I'll never find the LAST PART!)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-27-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Stick to high quality mil-spec parts and you shouldn't have any worries.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Precision AR15 For Sale
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=404850293
fsted2a Likes This 
Old 04-27-2013, 01:38 AM   #3

Liked 1733 Times on 1044 Posts
Likes Given: 366

I've built a few uppers. Not difficult with the right tools. lets me build each upper for the purpose I want with the exact parts I want.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #4

Liked 152 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Might I suggest you stay away from polymers? Some are OK, the ones that aren't are not something to be close to your face at the cyclic rate of 750 or so rounds per minute.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1809 Times on 928 Posts
Likes Given: 974

KG71IL.

Not a problem as you said having the tools. A receiver block to hold the upper receiver while you are torquing the barrel nut to a minimum of 35 Ft. Lbs. (No Less!) A Torque Wrench and a Barrel Nut Tool. And the Head Space Cheked. Sometimes today with the parts crunch being what it is. I may be cheaper to buy a complete upper with checked, complete bolt carrier group with it. The manufacturers of the uppers are sometimes today refusing to sell sepaerate parts due to the fact bolt carriers are somewhat hard to come by at a decent price today. And they are selling a complete unit You may find the upper and the barrel easier to come by. But good carriers are bringing a premium. If you need a good upper complete pm me and I can put you in touch with people who have complete uppers in stock. Most are Rock River Arms Uppers. From 5.56 to 458 SOCOM. Good luck on your build!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 04-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #6

Liked 152 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
KG71IL.

Not a problem as you said having the tools. A receiver block to hold the upper receiver while you are torquing the barrel nut to a minimum of 35 Ft. Lbs. (No Less!) A Torque Wrench and a Barrel Nut Tool. And the Head Space Cheked. Sometimes today with the parts crunch being what it is. I may be cheaper to buy a complete upper with checked, complete bolt carrier group with it. The manufacturers of the uppers are sometimes today refusing to sell sepaerate parts due to the fact bolt carriers are somewhat hard to come by at a decent price today. And they are selling a complete unit You may find the upper and the barrel easier to come by. But good carriers are bringing a premium. If you need a good upper complete pm me and I can put you in touch with people who have complete uppers in stock. Most are Rock River Arms Uppers. From 5.56 to 458 SOCOM. Good luck on your build!

Kinda funny you mentioned 458 SOCOM. Sons of Guns is going on about how Red Jacket is about to lose their order because they were shorted 10 barrels

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4483 Times on 2365 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Kinda funny you mentioned 458 SOCOM. Sons of Guns is going on about how Red Jacket is about to lose their order because they were shorted 10 barrels
Made for tv.

Most likely the "order" itself is fictitous to begin with

Building an upper is easy and as others said stick with milspec and you got no real issues. The only thing you need to watch for is there is no such thing as milspec when it comes to picatinny gasblocks. The only milspec gas block are the fixed ones that pin in place with taper pins

If your going to use flip up front and rear the gas block needs to be level left/right for cant with the upper rail. If its canted its nevergoing to zero or track for windage correctly on elevation adjustments

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 04-29-2013 at 03:13 PM.
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 04-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #8

Liked 731 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 699

I agree with what's been said that building an upper isn't difficult if you're handy with tools. The main issue whether building or buying complete is to know exactly how you want the upper configured. That's the most common mistake with ARs, people don't have the specs ironed out first before they buy/build.

I would recommend that if you can find what you want already assembled then it might be wise to go that route, especially since the price likely will be close.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 985 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

To add to what Quentin said . The tools arent going to be cheap to build it with . Took me about 3 builds to pay for the tools . Not that big of deal for me considering I have put 18 uppers together since Oct of last year

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
Quentin Likes This 
Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #10

Liked 731 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 699

As Havoc said the proper tools to build an upper aren't cheap so they don't make sense for just one or two uppers. I go for fairly common configurations so haven't had trouble finding exactly the upper I want already assembled by a name I have confidence in. The lowers I do assemble myself and then consider the resulting rifle "my build" since I chose every last part that went into it!

I've helped buddies put together uppers so know I could borrow the tools and do it myself, just haven't had the need to do so yet though just might pick up a QD billet stripped upper to match the QD US Army Edition billet lower I have. I don't like the complete QD uppers offered so would go with their stripped upper and finish it my way.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

purehavoc Likes This