Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Build so far

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 4

I've a Palmetto upper and I'm super-pleased with it. I got mine with the optional MBUS (site) and the MOE handguard. It's a MIDdy and is chrome-lined. The upper I got is top shelf, and affordable money. I pinned it to a $50 stripped lower (also from Palmetto) and a RRA parts kit with a 2-stage trigger for $120. All in for $600ish. Then I got an EoTech and my budget went out the window. First time out with my new Zombie Killer (the PSA home-build) I smoked 325 rounds through it and it barely got hot. My colt stainless barrel was almost glowing after about 100rnds. The best part (as pointed out) is that I had all the stuff I needed in 10 days. I'll go back to PSA.

Built AR-15, 5.56 & .300 AAC Blackout tops
Yugoslavian AK-47
Remington 1100 Tactical Shotgun
Remington 1100 Shotgun
Crosman 760 pump gun <smirk>
M1 Garand .30-06
M1903 Springfield Sporter .30-06
Sig Sauer P250 Sub Compact 9mm
Sig Sauer TacOps 1911

Old 11-17-2011, 02:28 AM   #32

great info on the lengths guys! This def helped me decide that i want a mid length

Old 11-17-2011, 02:53 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by drclaw5
great info on the lengths guys! This def helped me decide that i want a mid length
Thanks guys. You guys have helped me out also I have made up my mind also I am also going with a mid. I just don't know if I should go with the light weight or the standard profile barrel. What would you guys recommend?

High angle hell. Death and destruction from above.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #34

Well here it is guys, after alot of research and price checking I finally have my build lined up. Again let me know what you all think:

-Del-Ton 16” Lightweight midlength custom upper-
Flat top upper w/ YHM 4 rail light weight free float tube, YHM single rail gas block, 1:9 chrome lined barrel, charging handle with badger tac latch.
Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 16" Mid-Length Light Weight Custom Upper

-Palmetto State Armory MOE Plus LPK (Black)-
Palmetto State Armory Gen 2 MOE LPK

-Spikes Tactical Stripped lower-
Stripped Lowers : Spikes Tactical

-DSA Complete Buffer tube kit-
DSA Complete Buffer Tube kit

It's going to cost me just a tiny bit more than I originally wanted to spend, but I figure I am getting EXACTLY what I want for a very reasonable price, and I'm going to buy a stock from a local shop I found here in town that deals in tactical arms, so that will save me a few bucks. I will probably pick up a red dot too. Now I just have to wait for the money to roll in and I will get started on this bad boy!

Oh also, I don't have a workbench in the garage, there is a huge cardboard/garbage/unused crap monster in there and I haven't conquered him yet. Can anyone recommend a vise I can just set on the table and work on? I saw a video a while back of a guy using a vise that had suction cups on it, anyone have any experience with these?

Old 11-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #35

Is there a reason you didn't go with the del-ton complete rifle kit? I have found for the price it looks like the best way to go. You can still get all the custom options you are looking for. And the only other thing you have to buy is your stripped lower

High angle hell. Death and destruction from above.

Old 11-17-2011, 09:39 PM   #36

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirtRIPPA View Post
Well here it is guys, after alot of research and price checking I finally have my build lined up. Again let me know what you all think:

-Del-Ton 16” Lightweight midlength custom upper-
Flat top upper w/ YHM 4 rail light weight free float tube, YHM single rail gas block, 1:9 chrome lined barrel, charging handle with badger tac latch.
Del-Ton, Inc. AR-15 16" Mid-Length Light Weight Custom Upper

-Palmetto State Armory MOE Plus LPK (Black)-
Palmetto State Armory Gen 2 MOE LPK

-Spikes Tactical Stripped lower-
Stripped Lowers : Spikes Tactical

-DSA Complete Buffer tube kit-
DSA Complete Buffer Tube kit

It's going to cost me just a tiny bit more than I originally wanted to spend, but I figure I am getting EXACTLY what I want for a very reasonable price, and I'm going to buy a stock from a local shop I found here in town that deals in tactical arms, so that will save me a few bucks. I will probably pick up a red dot too. Now I just have to wait for the money to roll in and I will get started on this bad boy!

Oh also, I don't have a workbench in the garage, there is a huge cardboard/garbage/unused crap monster in there and I haven't conquered him yet. Can anyone recommend a vise I can just set on the table and work on? I saw a video a while back of a guy using a vise that had suction cups on it, anyone have any experience with these?
I use one that clamps to my Black & Decker Workmate's top while doing gun work in my man cave. I used it recently to put together my AR lower. It's probably not strong enough for torqueing a barrel nut on the upper though. I just went with a complete upper, so I didn't need the big sturdy vise.

Here's a link to what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/SE-Universal-Aluminium-Table-Vise/dp/B000SR0R7G/ref=pd_sim_sbs_misc_8

Last edited by Snakedriver; 11-17-2011 at 09:44 PM.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #37

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Have you taken a look at this? Spikes Tactical 14.5" Lightweight 5.56/.223 DynaComp Upper Receiver

Higher quality, better muzzle device, MOE h/g, much better BCG, and a great buffer. If you add it all up it's probably less expensive than the lower quality Delton. And most important you don't have to wait almost 2 months for it to arrive. Aims ships fast. You'll have it at your door in a few days.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
I use one that clamps to my Black & Decker Workmate's top while doing gun work in my man cave. I used it recently to put together my AR lower. It's probably not strong enough for torqueing a barrel nut on the upper though. I just went with a complete upper, so I didn't need the big sturdy vise.

Here's a link to what I use:

Amazon.com: SE 3" Universal Aluminium Table Vise: Home Improvement
I have this tools as well

Old 12-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #39

Oh thats a neat looking vise, I will have to add that to my Christmas wish list

Old 12-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #40

So I've been looking at a BCM upper (BCM 16" BFH Mid Length Upper Receiver Group with Daniel Defense Lite12) for my build, but it doesn't come with a BCG or charging handle...

If I decide to go with this upper vs. the Del-Ton upper, I will obviously need to purchase a BCG and charging handle, so I was wondering, based on everyones experiences, who makes a quality yet affordable BCG/charging handle? What sort of things should I look for when shopping for a BCG? Would it be a "drop in" type of installation? Should I just go with the COMPLETE Del-Ton upper or go for the BCM and purchase a BCG/Charging handle?

Thanks again guys