Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Build so far

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

CMV = Chrome Molly Vanadium, it addresses the grade of 4150 steel used in the barrel construction. You'll have to Google it because it's just too complicated to try and explain here.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #12

Ok so thanks for clearing that up for me whale. Ok so here is the upper I have been thinking about getting:

Palmetto State Armory 16" M4A1 Upper

So correct me if I'm wrong but it looks to me like it has the BCG and everything else needed. I am going to get it with the Magpul handguards and the MBUS.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:47 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

it has the bcg ang ch.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:06 AM   #14

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 929

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhaleNoises View Post
Ok now I know the MOE and MBUS, but I don't know the other. The 2 I know are both a term for stuff made by Magpul. MOE stands for Magpul Original Equipment, and its used for the handguard, trigger guard, the but stock, stuff like that. The MBUS stands for Magpul Back Up Sight. The CMV I think stand for the way the barrel is made or the make up of the barrel. The CM is Chrome Molly I think, and that mean the make up of the barrel its chrome lined and molly is short for some kind of mettle but I don't know what the V stands for.
The CMV is Chrome Molly Vanadium like Snake said. But when it's touted in an ad you can almost bet a paycheck that means the barrel and bore are NOT chrome lined.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirtRIPPA View Post
Ok so thanks for clearing that up for me whale. Ok so here is the upper I have been thinking about getting:

Palmetto State Armory 16" M4A1 Upper

So correct me if I'm wrong but it looks to me like it has the BCG and everything else needed. I am going to get it with the Magpul handguards and the MBUS.
Great price on that PSA upper. Have you considered their midlength instead?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #16

This one here Quentin?

Palmetto State Armory 16'' 4150 CMV, Chrome-lined, Mid-length Upper

So now I have another question, they are both 16" barrels, but why is one considered "midlength"? Does it have something to do with the location of the gas block/gas return?

By the way thanks for all the help again everyone, I'm getting so excited to build this thing I'm starting to lose sleep...well I do anyway because I'm up till midnight every night reading and watching videos about the platform lol.

Last edited by ShirtRIPPA; 11-15-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #17

That one is a good choice though I tend to like the lightweight profile better. The one you linked seems to be the government profile so is 6-8 oz heavier than a pencil barrel.

You're right that we're talking the length of the gas system, the midlength is 2" longer than carbine length and is softer shooting in a 16" barrel. Remember, either system works well so go with what you like not what I like.

______

Old 11-16-2011, 12:00 AM   #18

I also just found a Del-Ton 16" custom lightweight upper

http://www.del-ton.com/Custom_Upper_p/cu108.htm

the base rate for it with just the basic stuff is $395.

Here are some of the add-ons I thought about getting, let me know what you guys think I should keep/get rid of, or if this is even a good value

YHM 4 Rail free float tube
YHM single rail gas block
DTI 16" 1:9 Light weight mid-length chrome lined barrel

=$585

Last edited by ShirtRIPPA; 11-16-2011 at 12:09 AM.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:04 AM   #19

Also Quentin, or whoever wants to answer this question, what are the benefits of having a mid-length gas system? less fouling?

Old 11-16-2011, 12:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
That one is a good choice though I tend to like the lightweight profile better. The one you linked seems to be the government profile so is 6-8 oz heavier than a pencil barrel.

You're right that we're talking the length of the gas system, the midlength is 2" longer than carbine length and is softer shooting in a 16" barrel. Remember, either system works well so go with what you like not what I like.
I held a rifle at my lgs that was a 14.7, lightweight barrel with the Troy TRX Extreme. It was unbelievable how light it was. It really makes me want to build one.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"