Build so far
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Build so far

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 05:04 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Build so far

So with a lot of help from all of you guys, you know who you are, this is what I have come up with so far please let me know if I missed anything or fudged up...

-Palmetto State Armory CTR stock kit
$120.00
-Spikes Tactical stripped lower
$99.00
-Palmetto State Armory MOE Plus LPK
$63.50
-Surplus Ammo & Arms 16" HBAR upper 1:9 twist
$400.00

Total cost=$682.00 ballpark plus shipping here and there.

How does it sound guys?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-12-2011, 06:06 AM   #2

Liked 1002 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Got more info on the upper? Like what gas length, BCG, etc. Also do you really want HBAR? I'd spend a little more on the upper myself, pretty hard to get a good one for $400 unless it doesn't come with the BCG and charging handle. Does this one come with them?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #3

Right I guess I should have read more about the upper, now that I know what HBAR is I think I will shop around for a different one. There just doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info about uppers out there, unless I missed something right in front of my face. Can you tell me what I need to look at when choosing an upper? I've been told to get one with a free floating fore end for accuracy, how can I tell if it does or not? Thanks again.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Looks like you're off to a good start with a good list of parts.

I recently got a complete upper from Rock River Arms (RRA) that is a 16" Mid-length A4 flat-top type. It has a medium heavy profile on the barrel and is plenty solid. The true HBAR profiles are really quite heavy, you may want to re-think your choice on the upper.

Here's a link to what what I got. Prices start at $475 for the A4 models and it took 5-weeks for delivery from the factory. Free shipping too!

Rock River Arms: Mid-Length Upper Half

Last edited by Snakedriver; 11-12-2011 at 02:36 PM.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Palmetto has had a decent amount of good press and won't take over a month to get. If your anything like me faster is better.

They make kits w/ everything minus the stripped lower and complete uppers w/ different barrels options.

I personally am a fan of Lightweight or Standard non-M4 profile barrels w/ midlength gas systems.

Links:
AR Complete Uppers

AR Rifle Kits

Spikes makes a great lower but if you're going Palmetto you might want to look at their stripped lowers for $20 less.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:07 PM   #6

Liked 1002 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

I'm also a fan of the lightweight midlength upper and PSA has some attractive prices on all AR parts. I have two 16" midlength uppers, a 0.750" ArmaLite and a 0.625" Daniel Defense and there is about a pound difference in weight which is very noticeable as you end up with a 6.5 pound vs. 7.5 pound carbine.

As far as your question about free floating, what kind of accuracy do you need. Most of us are happy with 2 MOA so don't need FF. If you want 1 MOA or sub then FF and an HBAR are something to consider but understand you do have to pay for it.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #7

Ok so I have been shopping around for an upper and it looks like PSA has some pretty decent prices, however I came across a couple of terms that have left me scratching my head...CMV, MOE, and MBUS, help me out here guys...

Old 11-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

$745.00
http://www.gandrtactical.com/
BCM flat top upper,16" government profile mid length BFH barrel 1:7 twist, BCM M16 BCG, BCM Gunfighter mod5 charging handle, MOE Handguard, A2 Flash supperesser

$175.97+$13.49*X
https://www.sawtac.com/index.php?dispatch=checkout.cart
Daniel Defense LPK, AR-15 Stock Conversion Kit, Magpul MOE, + PMAG.

$14.99
World's Largest Supplier of Gun Parts, Gunsmith Tools & Shooting Accessories - Brownells
Zombie Hunter Dust Cover.

$80.00
https://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=391
Aero Precision AR15 Stripped Lower Receiver.

total with 1 mag $1014.46

This is my first build so far. I still need a back up sight, I think I want a Troy industries but I'm still shopping. For the most part the Troy sight is around $100. That totals not counting shipping, one of the stores is down the road so I don't need to order it online.

Last edited by WhaleNoises; 11-14-2011 at 07:01 PM.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirtRIPPA View Post
Ok so I have been shopping around for an upper and it looks like PSA has some pretty decent prices, however I came across a couple of terms that have left me scratching my head...CMV, MOE, and MBUS, help me out here guys...
Ok now I know the MOE and MBUS, but I don't know the other. The 2 I know are both a term for stuff made by Magpul. MOE stands for Magpul Original Equipment, and its used for the handguard, trigger guard, the but stock, stuff like that. The MBUS stands for Magpul Back Up Sight. The CMV I think stand for the way the barrel is made or the make up of the barrel. The CM is Chrome Molly I think, and that mean the make up of the barrel its chrome lined and molly is short for some kind of mettle but I don't know what the V stands for.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Like Quentin said earlier it doesn't sound like you have a BCG ( Bolt Carrier Group) yet, that is the internal working parts of the upper receiver, or a charging handle. If you goto G&R Tactical they have drop downs so you can see all the parts required to make an upper receiver. Thats what helped me in figuring out what I needed. the upper Im using from them starts at $399, but after the BCG, Charging handle, handguard, and Flash suppresser it comes to $745 but I also am getting the barrel cold hammer forged for and additional $90 thats included in the $745 and the charging handle I'm getting is a more expensive one. So you could get away with some less expensive parts I'm just using mine as an example.

Last edited by WhaleNoises; 11-14-2011 at 06:33 PM.