Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   build or S&W M/P 15 sport? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/build-s-w-m-p-15-sport-77002/)

tomykay12 11-24-2012 08:09 PM

build or S&W M/P 15 sport?

Hi. I just started researching an AR build, and am enjoying the learning process. Funny timing; the Turner's Outdoors holiday flyer just showed up, and it is flaunting the Smith and Wesson M/P 15 sport for 649.99, plus tax, dros, etc here in Southern California. Can I build a decent AR for that price? Seems like a quality complete upper alone is 500.00 or more. BTW, they also have the M/P stripped receiver advertised as well for 129.00. I don't need an ultimate high end rifle here; simple, light and dependable will do for my needs. Buy or build? Thanx for seasoned advice, tk

okdonk 11-24-2012 09:53 PM

I'd rather get PSA complete rifle for $700 than the M&P Sport. I just don't like having it without Forward Assist and Dust Cover. Eventhough some of us never really need those 2 i mentioned but to me it looks incomplete :).

kryptar19 11-24-2012 10:04 PM

Go for the Smith & Wesson. I've got one and it is very accurate and reliable. Don't worry about the forward assist, it is pretty much useless. That's a decent price for the Smith, and it's gonna be hard to build one that good for less money.

FullautoUSA 11-24-2012 10:59 PM

I would build, go for a Colt or a Smith and Wesson lower and a VLTOR upper.

kytowboater 11-24-2012 11:22 PM

I have $645 total in mine. I will be changing things around, like putting a better stock on it.

Quentin 11-25-2012 04:51 AM

I agree with okdonk, I'd rather pay a little more for the PSA. But the Sport does offer a pretty good rifle for the money if you'd rather buy off the rack instead of buy online.

hendo9 11-25-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomykay12
Hi. I just started researching an AR build, and am enjoying the learning process. Funny timing; the Turner's Outdoors holiday flyer just showed up, and it is flaunting the Smith and Wesson M/P 15 sport for 649.99, plus tax, dros, etc here in Southern California. Can I build a decent AR for that price? Seems like a quality complete upper alone is 500.00 or more. BTW, they also have the M/P stripped receiver advertised as well for 129.00. I don't need an ultimate high end rifle here; simple, light and dependable will do for my needs. Buy or build? Thanx for seasoned advice, tk

I think that would b the least u could build for,It's a good price,Plus it's ready to shoot.Unless U just wanna build 1

jwalsh66 11-25-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin
I agree with okdonk, I'd rather pay a little more for the PSA. But the Sport does offer a pretty good rifle for the money if you'd rather buy off the rack instead of buy online.

I agree with both of you guys. Living in south carolina I have had plenty of chance to shoot/own psa products and for the money they are hard to beat. Even if you want to build one you can get the stripped lower from psa for $99. Their lower parts kits are good too from what I hear. The one thing you will notice about building one is that you will get more rifle for your money. I have about $350 into my lower including buying some tools I needed for assembly and a book that walks you through it. Every part i have on that lower is upgraded except for the trigger group. I figure ill have just under $1000 without optics in it when all said and done and will be comparable to a rifle worth about 1200-1500. The best part about it is it will be exactly how you want it.

SigArmored 11-25-2012 04:22 PM

I have a S&W M&P 15 Sport and I love it.Mine cost me $679 altogether so you're getting a good price for it.You can always build you're own upper down the road if that's what you wanna do.I've made a few mods to my M&P over the last year.Like a monolithic quad rail forgrip ,pistol grip and bipod .I've also bought two scopes one a red dot the other a 3x9x40 and I have both on QD 3/4 risers.The only issue is it comes with very few extras a big plus is it's lifetime warranty.All in all you're call.

kryptar19 11-25-2012 05:13 PM

As far as accuracy and reliability go, I'd put my S&W Sport up against any PSA, Stag, Colt, etc. No jams or problems yet. It shoots 1/4" group at 100yds, and about a 1" group at 200yds.