Build Pre-plan
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Build Pre-plan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Build Pre-plan

I am in the planning stages for my first build. This will be done over time as money allows. I am trying to make it a high quality build to exactly what I want. Please give me you opinions - anything I should change, better options, etc.
LOWER - Would like a Colt if possible
UPPER - BCM 14.5" mid-length with MI T12G2 12" hand guard, permanently installed BCM Gunfighter Comp Mod 1
BCG - Spikes Nickel Boron HPT/MPI M16
TRIGGER - RRA 2 Stage National Match
Need recommendations for quality LPK
Magpul MBUS front and rear - EOTech optic

UP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky17 View Post
I am in the planning stages for my first build. This will be done over time as money allows. I am trying to make it a high quality build to exactly what I want. Please give me you opinions - anything I should change, better options, etc.
LOWER - Would like a Colt if possible
UPPER - BCM 14.5" mid-length with MI T12G2 12" hand guard, permanently installed BCM Gunfighter Comp Mod 1
BCG - Spikes Nickel Boron HPT/MPI M16
TRIGGER - RRA 2 Stage National Match
Magpul MBUS front and rear - EOTech optic
colt doesnt sell stripped lowers or even assembled lowers. you would have to find a used one and pay full gun prices most liekly.

my opinion and what i would do and did do:

LOWER - BCM complete lower without buttstock eliminates need to find a LPK. RRA is a great second choice.
UPPER - BCM midlength 16" BFH lightweight im using a surefire muzzlebrake atm going to switch to a surefire flash hider
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-light-weight-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw%20bfh.htm currently in stock atm.
BCG - BCM BCG as i think a proper phosphate finish is a much better solotution on a 100% inspected and peened BCG than a coating on a non 100% inspected peened BCG
TRIGGER - im using the stock trigger but i like the rra 2 stage a lot its a great trigger. my wife is using a giesselle SSA trigger im in lust for that trigger group
Sights- i prefer the fixed front sight with matech rear and trijicon ACOG for the optic.
im also using a magpul ACS-L buttstock and blueforce two point sling.
handguards on mine are magpul MOE midlength

reason i went 16" is i dont like the idea of pinning or welding ANYTHING near the crown. that can easily screw up a good barrel. i dont think you gain any advantage by going 14.5 then having to weld a chunk of metal on the end to get to 16 anyway. either SBR it or go 16" getting a 14.5 and permafixing a adapter or comp doesnt make a bit of sense to me.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 06-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #3

Liked 1153 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

Jons right the 14.5" isnt that much shorter than the 16" and it allows F/H , comp changes down the road but if the person pinning and welding the pin is a good tig welder and knows what they are doing it should never get hot enough to make any heat transfer to the barrel all your doing is welding the top of the pin hole closed so it cant be removed easily . If you are having it done and they intend on welding the brake to the barrel find someone else that knows what they are doing .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 06-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1236 Times on 859 Posts
Likes Given: 1281

Like Jon, I got a BCM lightweight profile midlength upper last summer and am pleased with it. I also went 16" to avoid the hassle of pinning a muzzle device just to shorten the barrel less than 1.5". I went with the standard A2 birdcage FH and the standard A2 FSB then added a Magpul MBUS2 flip up in the rear. I went with the Bushnell TRS-25 clone of the Aimpoint Micro RDS, wasn't sure if it'd work out but I now have two that are working out very well. I also got the standard BCM phosphated BCG, you really can't beat it.

A Colt stripped lower would be a nice touch but hard to find. The BCM lowers are GTG but I went with a Valkyrie stripped lower that I found at a LGS. It's made by JD Machine and finished nicely, including a flared magwell. Any proper milspec lower should do the job so look for a rollmark you like. I used a Daniel Defense LPK and kept its milspec trigger since it was ok. I've used Stag LPKs from BCM that were acceptable too. I finished the lower with a BCM receiver extension, spring and H buffer then added a Magpul CTR.

I'm pleased how this rifle turned out and haven't had any trouble with it. I doubt many will if they go with a BCM upper and BCG, that eliminates a lot of problems. BCM knows what they're doing and they aren't ashamed of their specs so prominently display them for all to see. You don't get that information from many other vendors.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 06-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #5

With this build I want to go with something different from what I have now. I have a 16" standard front sight AR. I like the looks of the 14.5" barrel with the 12" handguard. The flash hider would be ordered already welded by BCM. If I wanted to go shorter how big of a hassel is it to get the SBR paperwork? I'm imagining dealing with the BATFE is a slow process. I thought the Colt lower would be tough. Q's advice sounds good - find a roll mark I like from a guality maker and go with that.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #6

Liked 340 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 51

High quality LPKs are available from Daniel Defense or White Oaks. I usually use PSA (who claim to source their parts from FN's suppliers). Stay away from Delton or DPMS or no name brands if you can help it

If you are having the muzzle device welded on first, be careful that you have the correct gas block and handguard and requisite mounting hardware in order before having the barrel pined and welded.

I don't recommend you get a 14" the first time out. How about a 16" with a 13" hand guard? I personally like my 16" with 15" handguards. Having the ability to change out muzzle devices or handguards or gas blocks whenever i so desire outweighs the 1.5" or 3 or so ounces I could have saved by going shorter.

14.5" build I would honestly reserve for your 2nd or 3rd build (believe you me there will be more) because by that point you should have a clear understanding of what you want and expect from your build. Pinned is welding your barrel should be considered a permanent change, because its a major pain in the @ss to undue, even if you have the correct tools, its costly to undo then redo and finally its not pretty.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 06-06-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #7

Liked 1153 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky17 View Post
With this build I want to go with something different from what I have now. I have a 16" standard front sight AR. I like the looks of the 14.5" barrel with the 12" handguard. The flash hider would be ordered already welded by BCM. If I wanted to go shorter how big of a hassel is it to get the SBR paperwork? I'm imagining dealing with the BATFE is a slow process. I thought the Colt lower would be tough. Q's advice sounds good - find a roll mark I like from a guality maker and go with that.
There are 2 way to do it , you can do a individual form 4 , or you can do it as a trust . The individual you must have your local Chief LEO sign off on the paperwork, get fingerprinted, photographed and then send that stuff in with $200 . The trusts are usually expensive $250-$500 depending on the lawyer plus the $200 tax stamp fee , but they do not require that your CLEO knows about it , no photos or fingerprints. Wait times are the same for either right now depending on what state you live in 6-8 months wait before you can even legally own all the parts let alone have it built . Owning the parts without even putting it together is intent unless you already own a SBR and are just building another upper . You also need to check your local laws I know there are a few states that you cannot legally own a SBR

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 06-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #8

I believe SBRs are legal here in Colorado. My local sheriff is great, he has joined the lawsuit with other sheriffs to stop the crazy laws that were recently passed and is offering free CCW classes. Sounds like the best thing to do is start with the lower and think about the options for the upper. I know most of you trust BCM, are there any others you trust if I want to go with the shorter barrel. I would buy a complete upper.