The build has begun! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > The build has begun!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quentin nailed it. I was telling myself I needed to wait until I could buy a vice, but a coffee table, small hammer, punches, rubber kneeling mat and a small towel did the trick

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 12-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk
Can someone post a link to a checklist of all the tools and parts needed to build an AR?

I would greatly appreciate it.
Oh, I have some great videos and links also, in my spreadsheet there is a section labeled Tools. There should be some nice vids that talk about anything and everything you might want or need.

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Quentin Likes This 
Old 12-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #13

Liked 1098 Times on 773 Posts
Likes Given: 1114

I have to say the video links in your spreadsheet is a great idea. I could see this concept turning into a sticky if done right. Most build stickies get dated fast so are less and less helpful as time marches on but a link to a living, breathing spreadsheet that is updated could stay fresher.

Anyway, the important thing now is to stay on track for YOUR build, monteros!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

monteros Likes This 
Old 12-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #14

Liked 336 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

If you are open to suggestions.

I'd hold off on the Phase 5 EBRv2 bolt release, and the RRA NM trigger for your first AR. Honestly they are easy to upgrade later and you might not even like them. You can save a lot of time and headache.

The Trigger is more of a match, precision oriented build, too light for defence work. I always say start with a milspec and go from there.

The Magpul BAD or Troy bad is an easily removeable upgrade for half the price of the Phase 5 unit. I personally like BAD levers, but you may find that you don't like them. In the event you find that you do like them, its a relatively easy upgrade to do later down the road.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #15

Good stuff, yeah I just don't think the $50 bucks for the phase 5 is worth it either. I installed the standard last night.

I'm right there with yah on the trigger, not sure what to do... Historically, I have liked light triggers, but this gun is being designed to function tactically, SHTF, home defense and plinking. Or, at least that is my hope

I am totally open to suggestions, so what trigger would you go with and why? If there's more detail to provide

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 12-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #16

Liked 336 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Start with a milspec. I've shot with shooters that do amazing things with a milspec trigger at 300 yards.

monteros Likes This 
Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #17

Fair enough. Thanks for the info

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 12-12-2012, 12:19 AM   #18

Liked 1098 Times on 773 Posts
Likes Given: 1114

I've kept milspec triggers in my four builds, counting my son-in-law's.

I have gone through seven LPKs to get the best triggers though.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

monteros Likes This 
Old 12-12-2012, 02:58 AM   #19

7? awesome lol. Yeah, I think this is going to be a right of passage really All the research, reading, posting, talking to you all, and watching vids, can get me so far, but honestly the parts themselves that show up, and hitting the range for the experience is the only way to "really" learn the feel, learn how this build will feel and shoot etc. Nothing is the same, if I have learned one thing in life, "you dont know till you flip those cards over!" hehe.

Honestly, I am focusing atm on trying to pick a decent mil-spec trigger. Haven't started looking just yet... Probably after I post this. I know Nutnfancy reviewed RRA's two stage triggers and loved them on his 'run an guns' - we'll see....

I totally hear what Agent was saying regarding, he's seen some people do some amazing things with mil-spec triggers. I have to think good shooting is a true partnership between the weapon system, amo, Mother Nature, and the shooter.

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by monteros
How freaking exciting! I have been researching for around 2 months now, and getting more and more excited. I have never owned an AR and decided that I wanted to understand the gun inside and out, so I opted to build it.

Totally worth it.

I found an FFL near me about a month ago, and he was able to get me a Rock River Arms 5.56 lower. Shortly thereafter I ordered my roll pin punch set and a crosstac armorers block. I have been staring at it thinking about getting started on the build, and the lower parts kit and grip finally arived tonight.

So, I broke out the punches, and after watching so many youtube's on building the lower, and reading, I put everything together that I could since I don't have the trigger group yet, nor the buffer, stock and spring. It was almost like second nature hehe, aside from having to review the bolt catch spring and plunger setup

One step at a time!

Even still, knowing I have a ways to go, I am really fired up about this, and damn proud! Did I mention excited!?! hehe.

Have a look...
Good luck with the rest of your build man! I'm almost done with my first build myself. Just waiting on the buffer tube kit to get here....been waiting a couple weeks now for it and its killing me!!!!!