Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   The build has begun! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/build-has-begun-78195/)

monteros 12-10-2012 11:49 PM

The build has begun!

1 Attachment(s)
How freaking exciting! I have been researching for around 2 months now, and getting more and more excited. I have never owned an AR and decided that I wanted to understand the gun inside and out, so I opted to build it.

Totally worth it.

I found an FFL near me about a month ago, and he was able to get me a Rock River Arms 5.56 lower. Shortly thereafter I ordered my roll pin punch set and a crosstac armorers block. I have been staring at it thinking about getting started on the build, and the lower parts kit and grip finally arived tonight.

So, I broke out the punches, and after watching so many youtube's on building the lower, and reading, I put everything together that I could since I don't have the trigger group yet, nor the buffer, stock and spring. It was almost like second nature hehe, aside from having to review the bolt catch spring and plunger setup :cool:

One step at a time!

Even still, knowing I have a ways to go, I am really fired up about this, and damn proud! Did I mention excited!?! hehe.

Have a look...

Quentin 12-10-2012 11:56 PM

You're the type of guy we love to hear from, monteros! Lots of research and then careful attention to the build. Get a good upper and you're home free!

... Until the next build... :D

monteros 12-11-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 1047098)
You're the type of guy we love to hear from, monteros! Lots of research and then careful attention to the build. Get a good upper and you're home free!

... Until the next build... :D

I am ALREADY planning my next build roflmao, going to build one with and for my wife haha, and then me... and then.... and then... and then... roflmao

Quentin 12-11-2012 12:24 AM

BTW, I like the spreadsheet idea. I did the same for my first build.

FullautoUSA 12-11-2012 12:28 AM

RRA nice choice!

monteros 12-11-2012 12:48 AM

Quentin, yeah, it was the only way with so little experience that I felt I would be able to track it all, wish list, etc etc. :) Thanks.

FullAutoUSA, I totally agree. :)

2tone0311 12-11-2012 02:19 AM

Its great when you build your own rifle you appreciate it more and you will tend to brag that you built it. Enjoy your masterpiece

Squawk 12-11-2012 03:08 AM

Can someone post a link to a checklist of all the tools and parts needed to build an AR?

I would greatly appreciate it.

monteros 12-11-2012 03:09 AM

I hear yeah :) I am already lol... So much fun, and the more you plan, the more you find and spend..... Oye, the wifey is gonna love me :)

Quentin 12-11-2012 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squawk (Post 1047364)
Can someone post a link to a checklist of all the tools and parts needed to build an AR?

I would greatly appreciate it.

Keep watching monteros' spreadsheet for updates! :p

There are plenty of build threads in the forum to get you up to speed on the parts needed. As far as tools, as few or as many as you need depending on how much of the build you plan to do. You can assemble a lower with common tools around the house, that's what I did.