Build or buy upper??? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Build or buy upper???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

If you can build the lower you can do the upper. It's not like you have to headspace it or anything. It's easy.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA
I'm working on my first lower build (No, the Plum Crazy didn't break. Just wanting to build one.)

I'm fairly new to AR's (about 11 months). I'm more comfortable with building the lower right now than I am the upper. I would recommend build the lower first and see if you want to start building the upper, or buy the upper and get to shooting.
Yes I am definitely building the lower myself

Old 11-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
If you can build the lower you can do the upper. It's not like you have to headspace it or anything. It's easy.
What would be an example of a build that requires you to check the headspacing? Just curious

Old 11-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaiePoi

What would be an example of a build that requires you to check the headspacing? Just curious
Just about any other rifle where you have to attach the barrel. On an AR it is set when they manufacture the barrel.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:35 AM   #15
Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 626 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 1111

I would build the upper, gives you more options to choose from.

[COLOR="Blue"]See my pellet guns here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/groups/ftf%20pellet%20gunners/air%20gun%20picture%20thread-149/

RESIDENT AIR GUN GUY

Old 11-24-2012, 05:24 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaiePoi View Post
... Do you know anything about the quality of the Noveske BCG vs. the BCM BCG?
Well I have two BCMs and they're as good as a BCG gets.

I don't know first hand about the Noveske BCG but it should be good. Looking at three year old data from the old M4 Chart, Noveske at the time didn't high pressure test the bolt but did do magnetic particle testing. Also the extractor spring insert wasn't the desired black but that's a small thing (since an upgrade spring and insert is cheap and easy to replace). Otherwise the bolt was shot peened and came with the desired M16 style carrier. The gas key was properly staked.

Hopefully someone can chime in with current info but I wouldn't be worried about a Noveske BCG today.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Last edited by Quentin; 11-24-2012 at 05:35 AM.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:51 AM   #17

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Noveske BCGs are only marked MP. With that said, those who usually buy Noveske, generally run their rifles pretty hard, so you should not have any problems with their BCG.

Edit to add: Noveske does not just blindly throw BCGs into their rifles and uppers. They actually test fire each 5.56mm rifle and upper with Black Hills Ammunition before it leaves their factory.

Their is a relatively new company making rifles and components that has all the bells and whistles to their BCG, that may interest you. SIONICS Weapon Systems is based out of Arizona and they are bringing to market some high quality stuff at pretty reasonable prices. You can check them out at http://www.sionicsweaponsystems.com/

here are the BCG details:

100% HPT & MPI
Shot Peened
Heavy Extractor Spring
Black Insert and O-Ring
Nickel PTFE Carrier

SIONICS bolts are made by a current defense contractor from Carpenter 158 Steel. The bolts are 100% high pressure tested and magnetic particle inspected. Each bolt is shot peened and comes with a heavy extractor spring, black spring insert and O-Ring.

SIONICS bolt carriers are also manufactured by a current defense contractor. Only M16 bolt carriers are used. The keys are checked for a flat fit before being installed and the bolts are side staked.

Each carrier assembly is treated with a durable Nickel/PTFE plating which creates a permanently lubricious surface which eliminates the need for grease, oil or any wet lubrication.

Visit www.rogtac.com for quality AR-platform parts and accessories.

Forum members use coupon code, FT5, to save 5% on most products.

Last edited by X-mark; 11-24-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullautoUSA
I would build the upper, gives you more options to choose from.
That's what I originally planned on doing but then I came across a complete configuration with basically all the parts I had on my list and it turns out that buying it professionally assembled by Noveske (with a 7% off coupon code) only costs $90 more than buying the parts separate and assembling it myself. Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me

Old 11-25-2012, 04:43 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaiePoi View Post
That's what I originally planned on doing but then I came across a complete configuration with basically all the parts I had on my list and it turns out that buying it professionally assembled by Noveske (with a 7% off coupon code) only costs $90 more than buying the parts separate and assembling it myself. Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me
Yeah it's worth it to have Noveske do it. - That $90 could shrink fast especially if you're getting the parts from multiple sources and have to pay shipping for each order.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 11-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

Yeah it's worth it to have Noveske do it. - That $90 could shrink fast especially if you're getting the parts from multiple sources and have to pay shipping for each order.
Good call! Never even factored that in