Build or Buy? Which do you prefer?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Build or Buy? Which do you prefer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2015, 01:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Build or Buy? Which do you prefer?

Personally I enjoy building, I like the process of finding my favorite parts / companies and mushing them all together to create the ideal rifle, but what do you prefer? Would you rather build or buy a Daniel Defense, BCM, Noveske, Larue, etc.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-15-2015, 01:31 AM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 48

build. that way i get exactly what i want and dont end up with a box full of parts. plus, it's usually cheaper if you wait for deals/sales. i've built 3 AR15s this way and one LR308.
Savage FV64 - .22
EAA Witness P - 9mm
S&W M&P Shield - 9mm
AR15 - 5.56/.223 16"
AR15 - 5.56/.223 16"
AR15 - .223 Wylde 10.5" Pistol
LR308 - 7.62x51
Savage 93R17 - .17 HMR

Old 07-15-2015, 01:52 AM   #3

Liked 294 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Build. Just because it's fun.

Old 07-15-2015, 01:54 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4668 Times on 3144 Posts
Likes Given: 2353

In the used market, a home-built AR usually has a low resale value, compared to what was invested in it.

Depends on how much time you have on your hands. When youre building you ain't shooting

Old 07-15-2015, 02:01 AM   #5
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 567 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 1721

I would rather build its very satisfying when you have completed the perfect rifle.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:45 AM   #6

Liked 134 Times on 86 Posts

I'm torn between the 2 options. But ultimately I'd rather buy a high quality factory built AR. Throw a douglas barrel on it and a trigger and call it good.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:27 AM   #7

Liked 767 Times on 409 Posts

I prefer to build. I don't really care about resale value, I will be buried with my collection if possible! I've found that unless your buying top shelf factory built AR's ( 2k+) lots of manufacturers use subpar parts and rely on their brand recognition to slap a price tag on it. I've worked on and repaired many AR's for friend s and fellow vets at the VFW. As well as helped a buddy out who owns a shop specializing in AR's.I was surprised to see how many really have issues and surprised at some of the manufacturing flaws on the components. Most of them were $900-1200 range , but some to my surprise were higher end as well. I feel that you have better quality control over the components when you research and buy the parts. I realize this can happen to any manufacturer regardless of price. As an example , I've worked on a Daniel Defense that the gas block shattered in pieces after 100 rounds. Looked at the gas block and it was Chinese made crap, pot metal. Big surprise to me. What some people don't realize is that some of these manufactured sub out for parts that they feel are cheaper to have made for them than directly manufacture them. Another example is that Noveske ( a company everyone loves and thinks is top notch, had their lower and upper receivers made by J.D Machine out of San Diego until about 3 -4 years ago. ) I'm sure there are exceptions to this with some manufacturers, but you don't always know on a production rifle , what is truly made by them and the quality of the parts on the rifle. I prefer to buy every part my self based on research, materials, testing, and quality control. This way I know what I'm getting and not hoping that the manufacturer didn't try to save a buck in production and slapped on a half ass part.

Old 07-15-2015, 03:49 PM   #8

Liked 60 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I guess i'm in the minority. I like the higher end AR's like Noveske, LWRC, LaRue, POF and LMT. Plus I don't think I could build one as capable as the above.

Old 07-15-2015, 04:33 PM   #9

Liked 134 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 View Post
I prefer to build. I don't really care about resale value, I will be buried with my collection if possible! I've found that unless your buying top shelf factory built AR's ( 2k+) lots of manufacturers use subpar parts and rely on their brand recognition to slap a price tag on it. I've worked on and repaired many AR's for friend s and fellow vets at the VFW. As well as helped a buddy out who owns a shop specializing in AR's.I was surprised to see how many really have issues and surprised at some of the manufacturing flaws on the components. Most of them were $900-1200 range , but some to my surprise were higher end as well. I feel that you have better quality control over the components when you research and buy the parts. I realize this can happen to any manufacturer regardless of price. As an example , I've worked on a Daniel Defense that the gas block shattered in pieces after 100 rounds. Looked at the gas block and it was Chinese made crap, pot metal. Big surprise to me. What some people don't realize is that some of these manufactured sub out for parts that they feel are cheaper to have made for them than directly manufacture them. Another example is that Noveske ( a company everyone loves and thinks is top notch, had their lower and upper receivers made by J.D Machine out of San Diego until about 3 -4 years ago. ) I'm sure there are exceptions to this with some manufacturers, but you don't always know on a production rifle , what is truly made by them and the quality of the parts on the rifle. I prefer to buy every part my self based on research, materials, testing, and quality control. This way I know what I'm getting and not hoping that the manufacturer didn't try to save a buck in production and slapped on a half ass part.
Daniel defense manufacturer's every part in house. So I think maybe someone put that gas block on there. Even Chinese crap I have never seen a gas block explode. ...

Old 07-15-2015, 05:44 PM   #10

Liked 767 Times on 409 Posts

It was a factory built rifle. My guess is it was made during the panic, and they must have subbed out. I like Daniel Defense, but I was surprised to see the gas block shatter. Not talking bad about specific brands, it happens, but happens more with the run of the mill brands and all the new start up brands.