Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Build an AR cheap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
Darin, what kind of problems have you been having with your Doublestar upper? I have one on my rifle and love it. Is it an older upper? I swear by their components whole heartedly. Maybe this is something that can be fixed. I hate to hear of an AR just sitting in the safe and not gettin shot.
Well it is actually going to a smith here before too long. I think the headspacing is wrong. Different ammo acts different in it. Some cases FTE and I have to use a rod to BEAT the case out, while others when in battery sound like they are almost rattling around. Not to mention the different ammos have completely different accuracy. however at the same time, the different ammos are consistent enough in my other AR that I can't tell that big of a difference.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-07-2011, 04:36 PM   #12

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Yeah, that sounds like a gunsmith type issue to me. If some cases have to be beat out, but others seem to rattle around, I think your chamber might be a tad bit off.

Stock barrel? Or a custom?

Old 01-07-2011, 04:38 PM   #13
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Seriously, you should check out Del-Ton. I built one a few months ago for my boy and it's a really nice unit.

You can buy the individual components or a complete rifle kit (less the stripped lower). Their kits run $465 and $485 and are upgradable if change out a component or two.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #14

Plum Crazy lowers, about $100 COMPLETE. I have no personal experience with them but they have received good reviews at predatormasters.com.

Plumcrazy lower AR-15 Complete lower Plum crazy : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Model 1 Sales 16 upper with BCG is $450. I have built half a dozen rifles with M1 uppers and had no problems.

Model 1 Sales: 5.56/.223 C.A.R. Upper

You said cheap... But as JD and Quentin stated, you will likely end up swapping stuff out later. The above will get you a rifle that functions though.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 01-07-2011, 06:25 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Im interested in trying a Cav Arms MKII composite lower. At around $90 it appears to be a decent deal.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't understand buying a composite lower for the same price as you would pay for a forged lower. I wouldn't be worried about the strength, but build quality of the lower itself and wouldn't it look cheesy pinned to the upper receiver?

Old 01-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #17

MJ- I had a Cav Arms lower, worked just fine. The buffer spring retaining pin has to be held in with a cross pin though. It also uses special pivot and take down pins which came with the receiver

The Plum Crazy lowers are not the same price as an aluminum lower. The Plum Crazy lowers are complete: stock, FCG, whole nine yards. A $100 aluminum lower will be just a lower, no parts.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 01-08-2011 at 04:15 PM.