Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Build an AR cheap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Build an AR cheap?

Cheap to me is $400-500. Id love to have one but buying one new, even an Olympic arms is kinda out of the question. What is the cheapest, least labor intensive option(if it works like that), for an affordable kit build. Any advise is appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2011, 04:26 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Your best bet, I would think, is to buy a stripped lower, about a hundred bucks, and look online for a 16" barreled Carbine kit. I have seen complete kits go for as low as 600.00. You may be able to find it cheaper, but I would be willing to bet the least amount you are going to spend is around 700.00. Check out J and T Distributing online for some pric ing ideas. You will have to assemble the rifle yourself, but it's relatively simple.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Though I dont have experience w/ DelTon kits they are inexpensive. Maybe some of these guys can comment on them. Not including FFL fees you can get a lower for $69. You can also look for a used unit.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

everyone I know that has Delton says they love them

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #5

Might want to pick up a copy of the, (latest) Jan. 10th 2011 issue of the Shotgun News magazine.

David Fortier has an article titled "Building an ultra-affordable AR". He builds one for $419.00 and then does a range test.

He uses the Plumcrazy composite, complete lower assembly and a pre assembled Weapons Systems International upper. This would be a basic pin together build, very simple.

Don't know if I would go this route, but you said "cheap"

Good luck! Ken

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 01-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #6

Liked 730 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 699

In the end most people will be disappointed in a $400-500 AR. My advice is to do the free part first - weeks of research. Then make a decision on what you want and proceed from there.

Building is a great way to stretch out the cost over time (weeks/months) and end up with a rifle you'll be proud of. Also you can use the "divide and conquer" technique and hone your research on the parts you're about to buy now. Of course have an overall plan but zero in on the parts you're buying next.

If you buy a stripped lower receiver as Squirrel_Slayer suggested above then buy the parts kit and stock kit you'll have $250-300 invested. Throw in a magazine too, you'll need one later and can test your lower for proper function with it now. If a friend will loan you his upper you can really test it out.

Then save up for a complete upper receiver as you research what's available. Think about the sights/optics/accessories you'll want but you can buy them later after a few more paychecks.

Nah, pretty hard to make a good $500 AR. Odds are you'll rebuild it later and have crappy parts in the closet or for sale.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
In the end most people will be disappointed in a $400-500 AR. My advice is to do the free part first - weeks of research. Then make a decision on what you want and proceed from there.

Building is a great way to stretch out the cost over time (weeks/months) and end up with a rifle you'll be proud of. Also you can use the "divide and conquer" technique and hone your research on the parts you're about to buy now. Of course have an overall plan but zero in on the parts you're buying next.

If you buy a stripped lower receiver as Squirrel_Slayer suggested above then buy the parts kit and stock kit you'll have $250-300 invested. Throw in a magazine too, you'll need one later and can test your lower for proper function with it now. If a friend will loan you his upper you can really test it out.

Then save up for a complete upper receiver as you research what's available. Think about the sights/optics/accessories you'll want but you can buy them later after a few more paychecks.

Nah, pretty hard to make a good $500 AR. Odds are you'll rebuild it later and have crappy parts in the closet or for sale.
+100% on Quentin's advice. 3 or 4 years ago you could probably have gotten a decent build done for $500, not including optics, but these days the prices have risen across the board and $500 really isn't THAT much in the AR world I am afraid to say.

Research is the key and I recommend everyone build their own to learn how it works, what needs cleaning, what moves, what should not, etc. This is just plain good knowledge to have stuff.

I always recommend starting with the lower and then shop for a lower parts kit, a stock you want, and from there follow Quentin's advice. See if a buddy has an upper you can try out. Or research the hell out of uppers until you find one that is going to make you happy in the long run.

I think everyone who is honest that went out and bought a "basic" AR, ended up changing stuff out after awhile anyways. It's the nature of the beautiful platform that is the AR.

JD

Old 01-06-2011, 05:58 PM   #8

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
+100% on Quentin's advice. 3 or 4 years ago you could probably have gotten a decent build done for $500, not including optics, but these days the prices have risen across the board and $500 really isn't THAT much in the AR world I am afraid to say.

Research is the key and I recommend everyone build their own to learn how it works, what needs cleaning, what moves, what should not, etc. This is just plain good knowledge to have stuff.

I always recommend starting with the lower and then shop for a lower parts kit, a stock you want, and from there follow Quentin's advice. See if a buddy has an upper you can try out. Or research the hell out of uppers until you find one that is going to make you happy in the long run.

I think everyone who is honest that went out and bought a "basic" AR, ended up changing stuff out after awhile anyways. It's the nature of the beautiful platform that is the AR.

JD
Yep one of mine is a good lower but I threw a double star upper on it and now it pretty much sits in the safe because of problems and accuracy issues. But there is a huge difference when speaking of affordable vs cheap and from what I know, double star is cheap...Delton is affordable.

Lol, but you can never go wrong with Noveske, VLTOR and the like.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
Yep one of mine is a good lower but I threw a double star upper on it and now it pretty much sits in the safe because of problems and accuracy issues. But there is a huge difference when speaking of affordable vs cheap and from what I know, double star is cheap...Delton is affordable.

Lol, but you can never go wrong with Noveske, VLTOR and the like.
Darin, what kind of problems have you been having with your Doublestar upper? I have one on my rifle and love it. Is it an older upper? I swear by their components whole heartedly. Maybe this is something that can be fixed. I hate to hear of an AR just sitting in the safe and not gettin shot.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default thanks guys, and another question

It definately seems like this is something Ill take my time with. Ill get a 7.62x39 in a month or two and then maybe after that start pinchin pennies. What about olympic arms? I know I can find one of then in the 600-700 category. Whats really the difference between and olympic ar and one that costs $2000?