Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Build an AR cheap? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/build-ar-cheap-36505/)

Pjj342 01-06-2011 04:19 PM

Build an AR cheap?

Cheap to me is $400-500. Id love to have one but buying one new, even an Olympic arms is kinda out of the question. What is the cheapest, least labor intensive option(if it works like that), for an affordable kit build. Any advise is appreciated.

Squirrel_Slayer 01-06-2011 04:26 PM

Your best bet, I would think, is to buy a stripped lower, about a hundred bucks, and look online for a 16" barreled Carbine kit. I have seen complete kits go for as low as 600.00. You may be able to find it cheaper, but I would be willing to bet the least amount you are going to spend is around 700.00. Check out J and T Distributing online for some pric ing ideas. You will have to assemble the rifle yourself, but it's relatively simple.

mjkeat 01-06-2011 04:38 PM

Though I dont have experience w/ DelTon kits they are inexpensive. Maybe some of these guys can comment on them. Not including FFL fees you can get a lower for $69. You can also look for a used unit.

DarinCraft 01-06-2011 04:41 PM

everyone I know that has Delton says they love them

kenhesr 01-06-2011 04:52 PM

Might want to pick up a copy of the, (latest) Jan. 10th 2011 issue of the Shotgun News magazine.

David Fortier has an article titled "Building an ultra-affordable AR". He builds one for $419.00 and then does a range test.

He uses the Plumcrazy composite, complete lower assembly and a pre assembled Weapons Systems International upper. This would be a basic pin together build, very simple.

Don't know if I would go this route, but you said "cheap":)

Good luck! Ken

Quentin 01-06-2011 05:27 PM

In the end most people will be disappointed in a $400-500 AR. My advice is to do the free part first - weeks of research. Then make a decision on what you want and proceed from there.

Building is a great way to stretch out the cost over time (weeks/months) and end up with a rifle you'll be proud of. Also you can use the "divide and conquer" technique and hone your research on the parts you're about to buy now. Of course have an overall plan but zero in on the parts you're buying next.

If you buy a stripped lower receiver as Squirrel_Slayer suggested above then buy the parts kit and stock kit you'll have $250-300 invested. Throw in a magazine too, you'll need one later and can test your lower for proper function with it now. If a friend will loan you his upper you can really test it out.

Then save up for a complete upper receiver as you research what's available. Think about the sights/optics/accessories you'll want but you can buy them later after a few more paychecks.

Nah, pretty hard to make a good $500 AR. Odds are you'll rebuild it later and have crappy parts in the closet or for sale.

Dillinger 01-06-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 416375)
In the end most people will be disappointed in a $400-500 AR. My advice is to do the free part first - weeks of research. Then make a decision on what you want and proceed from there.

Building is a great way to stretch out the cost over time (weeks/months) and end up with a rifle you'll be proud of. Also you can use the "divide and conquer" technique and hone your research on the parts you're about to buy now. Of course have an overall plan but zero in on the parts you're buying next.

If you buy a stripped lower receiver as Squirrel_Slayer suggested above then buy the parts kit and stock kit you'll have $250-300 invested. Throw in a magazine too, you'll need one later and can test your lower for proper function with it now. If a friend will loan you his upper you can really test it out.

Then save up for a complete upper receiver as you research what's available. Think about the sights/optics/accessories you'll want but you can buy them later after a few more paychecks.

Nah, pretty hard to make a good $500 AR. Odds are you'll rebuild it later and have crappy parts in the closet or for sale.

+100% on Quentin's advice. 3 or 4 years ago you could probably have gotten a decent build done for $500, not including optics, but these days the prices have risen across the board and $500 really isn't THAT much in the AR world I am afraid to say.

Research is the key and I recommend everyone build their own to learn how it works, what needs cleaning, what moves, what should not, etc. This is just plain good knowledge to have stuff.

I always recommend starting with the lower and then shop for a lower parts kit, a stock you want, and from there follow Quentin's advice. See if a buddy has an upper you can try out. Or research the hell out of uppers until you find one that is going to make you happy in the long run.

I think everyone who is honest that went out and bought a "basic" AR, ended up changing stuff out after awhile anyways. :cool: It's the nature of the beautiful platform that is the AR.

JD

DarinCraft 01-06-2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 416379)
+100% on Quentin's advice. 3 or 4 years ago you could probably have gotten a decent build done for $500, not including optics, but these days the prices have risen across the board and $500 really isn't THAT much in the AR world I am afraid to say.

Research is the key and I recommend everyone build their own to learn how it works, what needs cleaning, what moves, what should not, etc. This is just plain good knowledge to have stuff.

I always recommend starting with the lower and then shop for a lower parts kit, a stock you want, and from there follow Quentin's advice. See if a buddy has an upper you can try out. Or research the hell out of uppers until you find one that is going to make you happy in the long run.

I think everyone who is honest that went out and bought a "basic" AR, ended up changing stuff out after awhile anyways. :cool: It's the nature of the beautiful platform that is the AR.

JD

Yep one of mine is a good lower but I threw a double star upper on it and now it pretty much sits in the safe because of problems and accuracy issues. But there is a huge difference when speaking of affordable vs cheap and from what I know, double star is cheap...Delton is affordable.

Lol, but you can never go wrong with Noveske, VLTOR and the like.

Squirrel_Slayer 01-06-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarinCraft (Post 416394)
Yep one of mine is a good lower but I threw a double star upper on it and now it pretty much sits in the safe because of problems and accuracy issues. But there is a huge difference when speaking of affordable vs cheap and from what I know, double star is cheap...Delton is affordable.

Lol, but you can never go wrong with Noveske, VLTOR and the like.

Darin, what kind of problems have you been having with your Doublestar upper? I have one on my rifle and love it. Is it an older upper? I swear by their components whole heartedly. Maybe this is something that can be fixed. I hate to hear of an AR just sitting in the safe and not gettin shot.

Pjj342 01-07-2011 03:49 PM

thanks guys, and another question

It definately seems like this is something Ill take my time with. Ill get a 7.62x39 in a month or two and then maybe after that start pinchin pennies. What about olympic arms? I know I can find one of then in the 600-700 category. Whats really the difference between and olympic ar and one that costs $2000?