Build 2, shopping for uppers, opinions wanted - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Build 2, shopping for uppers, opinions wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPrecision View Post
AR for Defense is where it's at IMO. I have kids so I can't keep mine within reach at night due to safety, but I have a biolocked .45 if i'm worried about the 6 feet and the 30 seconds it'll take me to get to my AR being dangerous. it has an IR light and a pushbutton laser that work great with the IR style NV scope I have on it. Nothing like being completely invisible in a house and being able to see everything(note it's expensive)
O O O

I don't mean to highjack this thread but....I just started looking into IR scopes, what make/model do you have? And what are your thoughts on your setup?

Old 02-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #22

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 985

Quote:
AR for Defense is where it's at IMO. I have kids so I can't keep mine within reach at night due to safety, but I have a biolocked .45 if i'm worried about the 6 feet and the 30 seconds it'll take me to get to my AR being dangerous. it has an IR light and a pushbutton laser that work great with the IR style NV scope I have on it. Nothing like being completely invisible in a house and being able to see everything(note it's expensive)
Great setup and certainly no argument here that the AR is an excellent defensive weapon in the house. But I feel real good with my Glock 22 with night sights and it does give you the option of exceptional manueverablity in confined spaces plus easy one-handed operation if necessary. (For 35 years it was a Colt 45ACP Series '70 that I still have.) For CCW it's a Glock 27 or sometimes my G23. Most of us here are NOT undergunned!

Sorry Zombie, off topic here...

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 02-18-2012 at 09:15 PM.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
O O O

I don't mean to highjack this thread but....I just started looking into IR scopes, what make/model do you have? And what are your thoughts on your setup?
Trying to think of how to put this..my "scope" is a TacticalPrecision Special, I took an IR NV cam and made a new housing for it's internals that would let me mount it and maintain reasonable accuracy(the battery for it isn't even in the housing there is a power cord running from it to my handrail and there is a makeshift battery module up there, it is bulky considering how it was made and the parts used to make it. other scopes that exist probably are way better and more reliable, but my investment was literally less than 100 bucks to make it since I did the machine work myself. Getting something like this made instead of buying one nowadays would be rediculous but I did this..well I was in college so like..7 years agoish?

My Thoughts on it...it works, rather well and you can use it for checking around outside at night too. I'd like to buy a new one that's more streamlined and reliable, I've looked around at some, they are FAR better than what I did, but even the couple hundred bucks for a nice one is out of my price range atm.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:30 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
at the 200-300 yard range you really dont need a 18-20"+ barrel , If you intend on going that route a 16-18" barrel is just fine .if you have intentions of a 500 yard gun then I suggest a 1:7-1:8 twist in a 20" as stated above . Looks like you looking at spending around $700+ on a upper by what your currently looking at . Also what kind of glass and power are you using for your distance?
if your stuck on a longer barrel I would suggest the first link if your wanting a stainless barrel and only have intentions of 300 yards max I will suggest the second link . You can get any of these configurations with differnt handguards at a extra cost so keep in mind you dont ahve to go with the standard handguards. PSA is good quality stuff so dont let that be a burden to your choice and it will leave you some extra cash for ammo or better optics

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-20-hammer-forged-cl-mp-a2-upper.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-16-223-wylde-stainless-steel-upper.html
+1 on that. You can also check out ar15performance. They have excellent uppers.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:55 AM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I prefer a FF tube regardless of range. I don't even remember the last time I shot past 100 yards. Though slight you can put pressure on a barrel w/ a sling or when putting a lot of force on a non free floated HG. 12"-13" FF tubes are by far my favorite because I can get out over the barrel fairly close to the muzzle devise.
Agreed! Hence the reason i ditched the vert grip and went with the magpul AFG. I get my off hand as far forward as possible and use the AFG to pull into my shoulder, it's worked wonders for me. Only thing stopping me from free floating my current set-up is having start all over again and regaining proficiency with a slightly different set-up. I'm proficient with it as is and have a strong belief that if it works, leave it alone.

I've come to the conclusion to put the new project on the back burner for now before i make an impulse buy and end up regretting it.

No worries about going off topic fellas, i'm not the "stay on topic" nazi by any means

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 02-19-2012, 05:18 AM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Some of my favorite buys have been impulse buys, like my S&W M&P45 I saw it sitting there at a gunshow and was like..Oh I have to have this..right now, like I picked it up and just held onto it just to make sure everyone knew..this one is taken, back the eff off.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Some of my favorite buys have been impulse buys, like my S&W M&P45 I saw it sitting there at a gunshow and was like..Oh I have to have this..right now, like I picked it up and just held onto it just to make sure everyone knew..this one is taken, back the eff off.
LOL, I do that too. Last gun show I ended up with a Plum Crazy lower. $120.00, couldnt pass it up!