Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Build 2, shopping for uppers, opinions wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKiller83
I gotta say Tikki, your advice is always solid and to the point and i dig that about ya. The current rifle i have is a 16" BCM LW midlength, hammer forged, 1:7 with a red dot set-up. I thought about free floating it but one thing i've learned in my profession is, if it works and works well, don't screw with it haha. That rifle shoots 1 moa groups at 100 yds with a standard milspec trigger so yeah i'm keeping her as is

My whole idea with this rifle is to blow my tax return on a solid, free floated ar with a scope for some longer distance shooting fun. My current rifle can no doubt connect at longer ranges (shot it out to 200 yds at a human silhouette target. five shots all hits but the grouping was nothing to brag about not that i really care as a hits a hit IMO ). Any who just dont feel like swapping between scopes and constantly having to re-zero so figure what the hell, tax time rifle build.
You could get a Larue QD mount for the scope and not have to worry about rezeroing each time

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-18-2012, 03:47 AM   #12

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
You could get a Larue QD mount for the scope and not have to worry about rezeroing each time
+1 on MJ. LaRue's are super nice, and really consistent. Expensive but worth it.

If you can manage 3" groups at 300 yards consitently, I'd say you'd be ready to upgrade your gear.

But for now why not just shave your front sight (you don't even have to remove it) put a FF handguard/rail and put some glass on it. You maybe even able to get sub moa groups with the right ammo. The best thing is if you invest in some good glass, you'll be able to transfer it to a future upper.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:02 AM   #13

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

aaaaaaaa The tax return, its like, hitting a mini lotto, or a good day in Vegas.........

until you get married, have kids, inlaws move in, get a mortgage.. but enough of all that shiznets. I'd shave my front sight base (free, but like 10 minutes with a dremel) , and free float a Samson Evolution 12" ($175), and put some a Troy BUIS ($100), on your bad boy, then spend the rest on good glass and match ammo. I bet you can get sub MOA with some nice 69 or 75 bullets at 300 yards.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm agreeing with what most everyone says.

Under 300 yards I wouldn't even worry about free-floating, it's not really far enough to make a difference, it's when you get out there and the bullet is flying for a few seconds that you really notice the difference of a floated barrel. I'd say honestly your long term goals for the gun should echo in your parts choices, if you want to turn it into a 600+ gun then buy the stuff to do that, if you have no intentions of it, better to build it for what you're going to use it for.

Example - If you buy an quad rail free float and never put a vg or light/laser etc on it..then it's all wasted money. That's why modular options have become more popular as people can change the gun as their money and situations change with little cost.

Example 2 - On the same token if you build a gun incapable of all that and then decide later to make the changes you're generally stuck with parts that no one else wants and some wasted money.

So as with all the people doing builds that come here asking for advice and have an "idea" of what they want to do I pose the simple request back unto you.. - Make the decision on what you want YOUR Rifle to be able to do and trust in the wisdom of the forum on what you -need- and then decide what you - WANT - and let us know the plans for the gun in the future; or if you're like most of us and have a gun for plinking, a gun for long range, a SHTF gun, a personal defense gun, and that startling realization that you have 6 guns that look very much alike but all are distinctly different enough to make you feel like you need to have all 6.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I prefer a FF tube regardless of range. I don't even remember the last time I shot past 100 yards. Though slight you can put pressure on a barrel w/ a sling or when putting a lot of force on a non free floated HG. 12"-13" FF tubes are by far my favorite because I can get out over the barrel fairly close to the muzzle devise.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with you mj, I prefere the freefloats aswell, but I can't list a free float as a requirement for a 200-300 yard gun for the average plinker. It would be different if it was for tactical shoots, or 3 gun or something of that nature, but the average plinker gun is going to be standing/crouching/supported and there won't be much need for such a setup.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I can see your point.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 02-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #18

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 948

Honestly I have to say I haven't felt the need for a free float barrel for my shooting which is not at as high a level as some others here. Almost everything is 100 yards or less for me and at my age I really don't drive the rifle like the operators. I am a good shot and always have been so just get out there and put quite a lot of rounds down range to keep up my confidence, decent skill and have fun. I don't worry that I'm only around 2-3MOA. My ARs are of good quality but pretty basic, definitely not tricked up in any way. I do try to keep my handgun skills at a higher level as I'm more likely to need that in a defensive situation (urban, concealed).

Always interesting to see what you guys are doing though! Always something new to learn.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

AR for Defense is where it's at IMO. I have kids so I can't keep mine within reach at night due to safety, but I have a biolocked .45 if i'm worried about the 6 feet and the 30 seconds it'll take me to get to my AR being dangerous. it has an IR light and a pushbutton laser that work great with the IR style NV scope I have on it. Nothing like being completely invisible in a house and being able to see everything(note it's expensive)

Old 02-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPrecision
AR for Defense is where it's at IMO. I have kids so I can't keep mine within reach at night due to safety, but I have a biolocked .45 if i'm worried about the 6 feet and the 30 seconds it'll take me to get to my AR being dangerous. it has an IR light and a pushbutton laser that work great with the IR style NV scope I have on it. Nothing like being completely invisible in a house and being able to see everything(note it's expensive)
A lot of people would agree, myself included.

-John Ruskin

Quote: