Build 2, shopping for uppers, opinions wanted
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Build 2, shopping for uppers, opinions wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Build 2, shopping for uppers, opinions wanted

Got my lower about 90% put together tonight, holding off on the stock/buffer as i'm not sure what gas system i will end up with at this time.

A little background on this build and what i'm going for is as follows: Looking to go .223 Wylde chamber with a 1:8 twist and i would like to go with a free float rail set-up for maximum real estate up top. Have a BNIB long range scope thats been sitting and i want to put it to good use. I'm focusing on long range accuracy on this rifle (like 2-300 yds). Was originally gonna pick up a bolt gun for the scope but kinda realized i have 0 use/enthusiasm for a bolt gun. Main uses will be plinking at the outdoor range. I know some will say go .308 but i'm just not ready to build a .308 yet Also i don't have a vice so i would like it to be a complete upper if possible.

Anywho it's a Rock River lower so i looked into a RRA upper and found these ones
http://www.pkfirearms.com/Rock_River_Arms_Custom_Uppers/85/c
The two i'm looking at are at the very bottom of the page, i'd direct link but their site does not allow me too haha

And then i found this one at AIM, heard their lowers were decent but no idea on their uppers. This one has a Lothar Walther SS barrel and from what i found in my searches was they were decent and people who own them seem to dig em.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMLW18&name=AIM+18%22+SS+LW50+ .223%2f5.56+Upper+Receiver&groupid=368

If anyone has any other recommendations please throw em out here. I'm not in a hurry on this one so looking into all options. BTW Stainless barrel is NOT a requirement, it just so happens the ones i found had em. Thanks for any and all opinions but please keep the bickering out of it

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #2

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

For you intended ranges, you don't really need a Wylde chamber, a chrome lined barrel will be great for increased longevity and will offer great precision at your intended ranges.

What kind of magnification do you have on your scope? What brand and model?

Most people consider 300-499 yards as mid range and consider 500+ yards long range.

You can, and should build a 500+ yard gun, then learn and practice at 200 yards and work your way up.

Most 1x8 barrels are gonna be stainless. For a 200-300 yard gun 1x7 or 1x9 is good too. For a 500+ go 1x7 or 1x8.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 02-17-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I agree. Build for further or you'll end up doing it again. I liked my 18" WOA barrel but would look at something from them in 1:8. The Loather barrel is nice too. Have one on my LWRC.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #4

Liked 1132 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

at the 200-300 yard range you really dont need a 18-20"+ barrel , If you intend on going that route a 16-18" barrel is just fine .if you have intentions of a 500 yard gun then I suggest a 1:7-1:8 twist in a 20" as stated above . Looks like you looking at spending around $700+ on a upper by what your currently looking at . Also what kind of glass and power are you using for your distance?
if your stuck on a longer barrel I would suggest the first link if your wanting a stainless barrel and only have intentions of 300 yards max I will suggest the second link . You can get any of these configurations with differnt handguards at a extra cost so keep in mind you dont ahve to go with the standard handguards. PSA is good quality stuff so dont let that be a burden to your choice and it will leave you some extra cash for ammo or better optics

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-20-hammer-forged-cl-mp-a2-upper.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-16-223-wylde-stainless-steel-upper.html

Old 02-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Not sure if this is the exact one but it's very close to the specs of the scope i have. I got it as a buy a spotting scope get a rifle scope free package. Can upgrade to better glass if need be
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Barska_AO_Varmint_Riflescope_6_2 4_x_50_Matte&i=401185&r=view&from=grid

The outdoor range maxes out at 300 yds so that was the guideline i set. Solid info guys thanks.

Hmmmmm haha
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SS410-18-Rifle-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-18%20ss410%20vtrx13.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SPR-Mk-12-Mod-0-Bravo-BLACK-p/bcm-urg-mk12-0%20pri%20black.htm

Out of stock at the moment but definately has what i want
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-SPR-Mk-12-Mod-Bravo4-p/bcm-urg-mk12-4%20vis12.htm

At the moment i'm working with a 900.00 upper budget but can certainly wait and save for a better upper

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

Last edited by ZombieKiller83; 02-17-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

With your budget you have many options. Do your research and take your time.

Look into the militarys SRR. There's a real good account of it's abilities. They even did a documentary about it.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #7

Liked 1132 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Nothing against your free scope so dont take this the wrong way and because you dont have any money in it ,but thats kind of a slap in the face putting that on a $900 -$1200 upper . There is cheap glass , good glass , superb glass which I cannot afford LOL . and then junk . I will let you figure out what you have . If I were in your shoes and having used PSA stuff and knowing the quality you get heres my route if i had $900 to spend , I would sell that scope you have for what ever you can get out of it and use that towards a handguard of your choice, buy a PSA 20" rifle length for $509 since you keep linking to longer barrels and buy the bushnell elite 5-15X40 for $399 or save some more cash and go bigger 6-24X50 elite tactical for $729 and a decent mount for the scope that will put you about $960 with a decent mount and now you have glass that will last you your entire lifetime , If you dont like the scope you can send it back to bushnell for 100% refund including your tax and shipping back to them . Thats just what I would do, its your money do as you will though

Last edited by purehavoc; 02-17-2012 at 06:44 PM.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #8

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I really think $900 is a lot for your upper! That's plenty for good stuff.

What you really want to do is save for some good glass. Good Glass is Scary expensive.

If i were in your position, I would probably not even get a precision upper.

What kind of barrel and upper are you running right now?

If you have a decent barrel, why not just spend your money on good glass and LOTS AND LOTS match grade ammo.

I'm pretty sure that your current rig will probably outshoot you at least for a while. Once you skills exceed your gear, I think you'll have a better understanding of what you want and expect from your gear.

Case in point. I take my 7.5 AR pistol to 200 and 300 yards all the time at the range. I have a aimpoint micro 4 moa dot on it and love hiting 10" steel plates. I know its not precision, but damn my pistol can hit it! With PMC .223 and M193!

Your 14.5 or 16" will do more than fine at 300 yards. Get proficient, then get your gear to suit your needs and abilities.

Last edited by AgentTikki; 02-17-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:25 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Nothing against your free scope so dont take this the wrong way and because you dont have any money in it ,but thats kind of a slap in the face putting that on a $900 -$1200 upper . There is cheap glass , good glass , superb glass which I cannot afford LOL . and then junk . I will let you figure out what you have . If I were in your shoes and having used PSA stuff and knowing the quality you get heres my route if i had $900 to spend , I would sell that scope you have for what ever you can get out of it and use that towards a handguard of your choice, buy a PSA 20" rifle length for $509 since you keep linking to longer barrels and buy the bushnell elite 5-15X40 for $399 or save some more cash and go bigger 6-24X50 elite tactical for $729 and a decent mount for the scope that will put you about $960 with a decent mount and now you have glass that will last you your entire lifetime , If you dont like the scope you can send it back to bushnell for 100% refund including your tax and shipping back to them . Thats just what I would do, its your money do as you will though
Oh i know where the scope stands quality wise haha. 80.00 after mail in rebate for a spotters scope and a rifle scope, you really can't expect much out of it haha. My buddy bought the same deal and runs his scope on a 30-06 bolt gun and it's been holding up just fine. But the idea of better glass does sound good and i have some CT 1911 grips i can sell and put towards some nice glass

Old 02-18-2012, 02:37 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
I really think $900 is a lot for your upper! That's plenty for good stuff.

What you really want to do is save for some good glass. Good Glass is Scary expensive.

If i were in your position, I would probably not even get a precision upper.

What kind of barrel and upper are you running right now?

If you have a decent barrel, why not just spend your money on good glass and LOTS AND LOTS match grade ammo.

I'm pretty sure that your current rig will probably outshoot you at least for a while. Once you skills exceed your gear, I think you'll have a better understanding of what you want and expect from your gear.

Case in point. I take my 7.5 AR pistol to 200 and 300 yards all the time at the range. I have a aimpoint micro 4 moa dot on it and love hiting 10" steel plates. I know its not precision, but damn my pistol can hit it! With PMC .223 and M193!

Your 14.5 or 16" will do more than fine at 300 yards. Get proficient, then get your gear to suit your needs and abilities.
I gotta say Tikki, your advice is always solid and to the point and i dig that about ya. The current rifle i have is a 16" BCM LW midlength, hammer forged, 1:7 with a red dot set-up. I thought about free floating it but one thing i've learned in my profession is, if it works and works well, don't screw with it haha. That rifle shoots 1 moa groups at 100 yds with a standard milspec trigger so yeah i'm keeping her as is

My whole idea with this rifle is to blow my tax return on a solid, free floated ar with a scope for some longer distance shooting fun. My current rifle can no doubt connect at longer ranges (shot it out to 200 yds at a human silhouette target. five shots all hits but the grouping was nothing to brag about not that i really care as a hits a hit IMO ). Any who just dont feel like swapping between scopes and constantly having to re-zero so figure what the hell, tax time rifle build.