Buffer, Tube and Stock? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Buffer, Tube and Stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

In my experience it's not a common issue to get a buffer tube that doesn't fit, though no doubt the cheaper you go, the more likely to find a sewer rat. I've used two each of BCM and PSA with no problem. The LMT should be fine too. I've helped buddies with DTI and Bushamster commercials and they fit as well though I could never recommend them.

The guy that had trouble with the upper to lower receiver extension contact may have screwed it in one too many turns.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 12-14-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:59 AM   #12

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Decided to do some research tonight on buffers, what, why etc on them. Found this video:

http://youtu.be/pRn68HwZf34
Found it while reading this article:

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2010/07/28/ar15function/

Really awesome, connected the dots on why it can make a big difference over the life of the weapon system

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 12-15-2012, 05:13 AM   #13

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Bolt bounce is more of an issue with full auto weapons.

Just ask the guys with race guns running lw bcgs and buffers.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #14

Default Possible Parts List

So, I am planning my buffer and tail end buy for my build, and here is what I am thinking. Would you mind having a look and giving me your thoughts?

Thanks!

Buffer Spring:
Spike's Mil-Spec 17-7 Buffer Spring
Cost: $9.95
http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/lower-parts-spikes-milspec-177-buffer-spring-p-414.html

This is the same high quality carbine buffer spring that’s found in our complete rifles, complete lowers, and in our various stock kits that we have on the site. It’s a Mil-Spec 17-7 stainless steel buffer spring that features an electro polish finish to give it a smoother quality look and feel. If you need a replacement buffer spring or just need one to finish a build, look no further. Get one today!

------

Buffer:
Lower Parts - Spike's ST-T2 Heavy Buffer
Cost: $32.95
http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/lower-parts-spikes-stt2-heavy-buffer-p-201.html

Each ST-T2 buffer is filled with HDTP which is short for "High Density Tungsten Powder" and topped off with a Mil-Spec bumper.

------

Castle Nut:
Lower Parts - Mil-Spec Castle Nut
Cost: $6.95
http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/lower-parts-milspec-castle-nut-p-412.html

The Spike’s Tactical Mil-Spec Castle Nut is machined from high carbon Chromoly steel for extra strength, it’s properly heat treated, and topped off with a Mil-Spec phosphate finish for durability. Our Castle Nut has been machined so that the notches are cut to accept a properly staked latch plate to make sure it doesn’t work its way loose under fire.

------

Buffer Tube: (Note: was looking at LMT, but couldn't locate sites with inventory)
BCM Milspec Receiver Extension (Buffer Tube) 6 Position
Cost: $36.95
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Milspec-Receiver-Extension-Buffer-Tube-p/bcm%20milspec%20receiver%20extension.htm

For your AR15, M16, M4. Carbine receiver extension (buffer tube) machined from 7075T6 and manufactured to Mil-Spec dimensions and specifications. Mil-Spec receiver extentions have a slightly smaller dimension where the stock slides on. Hard Coat Anodized per Mil-A-8625F, Type III, Class 2

------

Latch Plate:
Receiver Latch Plate
Cost: $3.95
http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/lower-parts-milspec-receiver-latch-plate-p-413.html

The Spike’s Tactical Mil-Spec Latch Plate is cut to the proper thickness from high carbon Chromoly steel for extra strength and to allow proper staking of the latch plate to keep the castle nut from working its way loose while under fire. Our Mil-Spec Latch Plate is also properly heat treated and is finished off with a Mil-Spec phosphate finish for durability.

--------------------------
TOTAL COST: $90.75

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 12-16-2012, 02:16 AM   #15

I'd skip Spikes, and go all BCM for about the same money. With the H buffer ($12 upgrade over standard weight) the price is about the same as what you listed plus you get an M4 stock to put in your parts box. I'm not a fan of Spikes powder weight buffer and buying from two places will double the shipping costs.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/M4-Stock-Milspec-p/stock%20m4%20milspec%20black%20-%20gen2.htm

Or see if PSA has their kits in stock. I like theirs too and you'll save money.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I'd skip Spikes, and go all BCM for about the same money. With the H buffer ($12 upgrade over standard weight) the price is about the same as what you listed plus you get an M4 stock to put in your parts box. I'm not a fan of Spikes powder weight buffer and buying from two places will double the shipping costs.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/M4-Stock-Milspec-p/stock%20m4%20milspec%20black%20-%20gen2.htm

Or see if PSA has their kits in stock. I like theirs too and you'll save money.
Good stuff man, Thanks Quentin! I was thinking of going with the auto BCG and 16" Barrel, would you go with H2 knowing that? I am doing some more research atm, and looks like what Im finding is the "H" should be great... So much info out there roflmao. Going back to my original question, I haven't found info regarding full auto BCG. Back to reading...

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Last edited by monteros; 12-16-2012 at 03:01 AM.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by monteros View Post
Good stuff man, Thanks Quentin! I was thinking of going with the auto BCG, would you go with H2 knowing that?
Which upper are you going with? I suggested H since I assumed 16" midlength. H2 probably would work with 16" mid and certainly would with carbine length gas.

And of course it depends on the loads you're normally going to use. Light loads might be trouble with 16" mid and H2.

______

Old 12-16-2012, 03:11 AM   #18

Well, I am going to scratch build it, and right now planning 16", lower profile gas block. I haven't settled on who's stripped upper yet or barrel... by the way, thanks man. And thanks everyone, I really appreciate the time you take answering questions.

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 12-22-2012, 01:21 AM   #19

I updated my build doc with the buffer and tail end of my AR lower. I ended up taking your advice Quentin, I picked a bunch of BCM parts. I am still going to piece it out as I can afford to buy etc, will be fun

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 12-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #20

Hard to go wrong with BCM! High quality and excellent customer service. The problem lately is finding what you want in stock.

______