Buffer, Tube and Stock?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Buffer, Tube and Stock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 02:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default Buffer, Tube and Stock?

Hey folks,

My build is progressing, and I am getting ready to purchase my buffer, buffer tube and stock. I have read a bunch, watched a bunch etc, and basically from what I have seen, the jury is still out on "if" one needs to get a mil-spec tube and buffer... I am inclined to just get it to have the peace of mind regarding quality etc.

That being said, I am open to your thoughts and opinions.

What I am looking for are recommendations for me to either research or buy for the tail end of this lower build.

Keep in mind, it's my first build, the intended uses for this rifle are as follows:
1. SHTF & Home Defense
2. Plinking and Range time with the family and friends
3. Tactical training and our course work
4. maybe more? ... hehe

Thank you as always for any thoughts and pointers! This is clearly part of my advancing severe case of BRD... just say'in.

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-14-2012, 03:10 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 814 Times on 419 Posts

I just researched to the point of analysis paralysis and finally ordered from Bravo Company. I think others will back me up here that going with Bravo Company will guarantee you the very best in quality, fast shipping and standard pricing (hey two out of three ain't bad). Without looking it up, I think your looking at about $130 for a complete kit with a CTR stock with shipping, price may go up depending on buffer weight. You could shop around and save $10 and possibly get lower quality or much slower shipping, I vote for top rate quality and getting it this year for the extra $10, but it's your call.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:52 AM   #3

I hear yah. Totally understand the "analysis paralysis" amen to that. I also am on board with the pay a bit more for faster better What buffer weight did you go with?

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 12-14-2012, 03:55 AM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MGCTRSTOCKKITBLK.aspx

Milspec ctr packge. My only demand is filthy dirty pron in high definition.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:57 AM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Go milspec. Commercial is the same price and inherently weaker. Its a win win, no downside.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:59 AM   #6

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

There's a local guy selling a complete A2 butt stock set up for 50 bucks, CMMG. I will hook you up if you want. At cost plus shipping. Stock, buffer, spring, tube.

Last edited by trip286; 12-14-2012 at 04:01 AM.

Old 12-14-2012, 05:37 AM   #7

Liked 1070 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 1075

The jury isn't out, in fact it came in long ago, sometime around 1995, with a unanimous decision for the milspec receiver extension. The commercial versions crawled out of the sewer after that and we've been trying to swat them down like cockroaches ever since. There is absolutely no reason to buy the commercial diameter when the milspec version is stronger, more compatible and roughly the same price. PSA has a kit on sale for $80 with the stock, tube/end plate/castle nut, buffer, spring and LPK though it's out of stock at the moment. BCM has a fine M4 receiver extension kit too.

I'd recommend the H buffer if you can upgrade.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #8

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Go mil-spec. My first recommendation for receiver extensions is LMT for the simple fact that they are the only ones with a "cutout" that better retains the buffer retainer pin over all other receiver extensions. For second choice, take your pick from everyone else...BCM, DD, Vltor, Spike's, etc.

ROG Tactical
Corona, CA
sales@rogtac.com

Visit www.rogtac.com for quality AR-platform parts and accessories.

Forum members use coupon code, FT5, to save 5% on most products.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #9

I'm on board with mil-spec. I would never mount anything to this weapon system that "craweled out of the sewer." hehe, well Said Quentin. Going to do some more reading, want to understand the H buffer and I know I have seen H2, H2. This is what I love about building my AR, even when I thought I was totally ready to finish this thing off, I realize there is more and more and more roflmao. Good stuff though.

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Old 12-14-2012, 02:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-mark View Post
Go mil-spec. My first recommendation for receiver extensions is LMT for the simple fact that they are the only ones with a "cutout" that better retains the buffer retainer pin over all other receiver extensions...
Ok, I like the sound of the LMT, then I read this...

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=577090

I was trying to find pictures of the LMT to understand what you were refering to. Looks nice, but basically the below article talks about problems with the mil-spec buffers needing filing to make them work properly. I am sure this could be caused by many things, one potential cause could be the lower, he said it was a Rock River Lower, which if I recall when I bought mine, it had good reviews but isn't mil-spec... anyway, now its got me wondering if I am going to run into this exact issue roflmao. Doesn't look like it's hard to fix should I.

Question about the above article for those that might have time to scan it: is this a common issue? How often does something like this occur? From the build reads and video builds I have watched etc, the first tube looks like it was fine - everything I have seen basicaly indicates that all you want is the turn that just barely covers the retention detent. I thought it didn't take much to hold that dentent and spring down.

Thanks in advance, fun fun fun

monteros
~Build Planning Document
~Build Thread
~Build Photo Album

Last edited by monteros; 12-14-2012 at 02:14 PM.