Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Buffer, Tube and Stock? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/buffer-tube-stock-78405/)

monteros 12-14-2012 01:35 AM

Buffer, Tube and Stock?

Hey folks,

My build is progressing, and I am getting ready to purchase my buffer, buffer tube and stock. I have read a bunch, watched a bunch etc, and basically from what I have seen, the jury is still out on "if" one needs to get a mil-spec tube and buffer... I am inclined to just get it to have the peace of mind regarding quality etc.

That being said, I am open to your thoughts and opinions.

What I am looking for are recommendations for me to either research or buy for the tail end of this lower build.

Keep in mind, it's my first build, the intended uses for this rifle are as follows:
1. SHTF & Home Defense
2. Plinking and Range time with the family and friends
3. Tactical training and our course work
4. maybe more? ... hehe

Thank you as always for any thoughts and pointers! This is clearly part of my advancing severe case of BRD... just say'in.

TankTop 12-14-2012 02:10 AM

I just researched to the point of analysis paralysis and finally ordered from Bravo Company. I think others will back me up here that going with Bravo Company will guarantee you the very best in quality, fast shipping and standard pricing (hey two out of three ain't bad). Without looking it up, I think your looking at about $130 for a complete kit with a CTR stock with shipping, price may go up depending on buffer weight. You could shop around and save $10 and possibly get lower quality or much slower shipping, I vote for top rate quality and getting it this year for the extra $10, but it's your call.

monteros 12-14-2012 02:52 AM

I hear yah. Totally understand the "analysis paralysis" amen to that. I also am on board with the pay a bit more for faster better :) What buffer weight did you go with?

AgentTikki 12-14-2012 02:55 AM

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MGCTRSTOCKKITBLK.aspx

Milspec ctr packge. My only demand is filthy dirty pron in high definition.

AgentTikki 12-14-2012 02:57 AM

Go milspec. Commercial is the same price and inherently weaker. Its a win win, no downside.

trip286 12-14-2012 02:59 AM

There's a local guy selling a complete A2 butt stock set up for 50 bucks, CMMG. I will hook you up if you want. At cost plus shipping. Stock, buffer, spring, tube.

Quentin 12-14-2012 04:37 AM

The jury isn't out, in fact it came in long ago, sometime around 1995, with a unanimous decision for the milspec receiver extension. The commercial versions crawled out of the sewer after that and we've been trying to swat them down like cockroaches ever since. There is absolutely no reason to buy the commercial diameter when the milspec version is stronger, more compatible and roughly the same price. PSA has a kit on sale for $80 with the stock, tube/end plate/castle nut, buffer, spring and LPK though it's out of stock at the moment. BCM has a fine M4 receiver extension kit too.

I'd recommend the H buffer if you can upgrade.

X-mark 12-14-2012 08:02 AM

Go mil-spec. My first recommendation for receiver extensions is LMT for the simple fact that they are the only ones with a "cutout" that better retains the buffer retainer pin over all other receiver extensions. For second choice, take your pick from everyone else...BCM, DD, Vltor, Spike's, etc.

monteros 12-14-2012 12:58 PM

I'm on board with mil-spec. I would never mount anything to this weapon system that "craweled out of the sewer." :) hehe, well Said Quentin. Going to do some more reading, want to understand the H buffer and I know I have seen H2, H2. This is what I love about building my AR, even when I thought I was totally ready to finish this thing off, I realize there is more and more and more roflmao. Good stuff though.

monteros 12-14-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X-mark (Post 1051043)
Go mil-spec. My first recommendation for receiver extensions is LMT for the simple fact that they are the only ones with a "cutout" that better retains the buffer retainer pin over all other receiver extensions...

Ok, I like the sound of the LMT, then I read this...

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=577090

I was trying to find pictures of the LMT to understand what you were refering to. Looks nice, but basically the below article talks about problems with the mil-spec buffers needing filing to make them work properly. I am sure this could be caused by many things, one potential cause could be the lower, he said it was a Rock River Lower, which if I recall when I bought mine, it had good reviews but isn't mil-spec... anyway, now its got me wondering if I am going to run into this exact issue roflmao. Doesn't look like it's hard to fix should I.

Question about the above article for those that might have time to scan it: is this a common issue? How often does something like this occur? From the build reads and video builds I have watched etc, the first tube looks like it was fine - everything I have seen basicaly indicates that all you want is the turn that just barely covers the retention detent. I thought it didn't take much to hold that dentent and spring down.

Thanks in advance, fun fun fun :rolleyes: