Buffer spring making noise
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Buffer spring making noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2014, 03:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Buffer spring making noise

Today I had my Colt 6920 socom at the range and every time I fired I could hear the buffer spring making a "boing" noise as it cycled back & forth. Is this normal? I tend to think its not, since none of my other AR's make that sound. I think it could benefit from a little grease on the buffer spring, what do you guys think. Maybe some shooters with a little more experience could chime in? Thanks

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk HD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-15-2014, 03:21 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5982 Times on 3130 Posts
Likes Given: 426

They all do that to some degree. Its totally normal. Its one of the things I love best about it as it makes a very distinctive sound when firing at the enemy...

Some stocks transmit the sound better than others. Spend anytime with an a2 rifle stock and you can tell by the sound and feel if the gun is running right. I like the feedback as its an instant cue if something is wrong.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-15-2014 at 03:24 AM.
Tackleberry1 Likes This 
Old 01-15-2014, 03:28 AM   #3

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Your Colt goes boing when you shoot it??

I go boing when I shoot my Colt!!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
People Like This 
Old 01-15-2014, 03:37 AM   #4

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

It's also instant feedback for when you fire that last round.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:38 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

I agree it is normal. You can add a bit of lube to the spring, but be careful you do not over do it as any lube will attract dust/grit/fouling. Take a shotgun swab to the tube when you clean the gun, wipe down the spring and reapply the lube

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

People Like This 
Old 01-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #6

Liked 279 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 31

With my limited ar knowledge I think I can say changing bolts from the lighter bolts to a m16 both slows the cycle speed a little and changes the spring sound. Changing to a lighter or heavier buffers will take that one step farther , maybe to the point its not noticeable to most

Old 01-15-2014, 09:42 PM   #7

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

EXILE MACHINE TWANG DANG SWEET RECOIL SOUND AMPLIFIER
$179.99
AR-15 Buffer replacement amplifies the twang for our customers who can't get enough of the sweet sound of the recoil spring Twang.
Just replace your existing buffer with the TWANG DANG, and you will experience an 85dbA increase in twang sound pressure level (SPL). (Dang! it's loud!)
The sound is transmitted directly to your bluetooth-enabled electronic muffs (or similarly-enabled hearing aids) via bluetooth wireless connection.
For customers who do not use electronic muffs or hearing aids, we have an optional bluetooth cassette tape boombox adapter so you can set your boombox on your bench so everyone else can hear the amplified twang too.
The TWANG DANG is also perfectly matched to our ROKK STOKK 300W STEREO amplified A2 stock.
In live fire tests of our prototypes, we found a marked improvement in the ability of the shooter to hear the twang.
(Use of boombox not recommended at a public range. Nearby shooters may confuse your amplified twang with the unamplified twang of their own weapons.)
People Like This 
Old 01-15-2014, 11:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
With my limited ar knowledge I think I can say changing bolts from the lighter bolts to a m16 both slows the cycle speed a little and changes the spring sound. Changing to a lighter or heavier buffers will take that one step farther , maybe to the point its not noticeable to most

I already have an M-16 BCG in there. The spring & buffer are standard from Colt. And the buffer tube is only 4 position adjustable. I'm considering upgrading it to Spikes Tactical buffer & spring (I have very good experience with that one in my 1st build.) And I'll get a Magpul STR stock for it.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post

EXILE MACHINE TWANG DANG SWEET RECOIL SOUND AMPLIFIER

$179.99

AR-15 Buffer replacement amplifies the twang for our customers who can't get enough of the sweet sound of the recoil spring Twang.

Just replace your existing buffer with the TWANG DANG, and you will experience an 85dbA increase in twang sound pressure level (SPL). (Dang! it's loud!)

The sound is transmitted directly to your bluetooth-enabled electronic muffs (or similarly-enabled hearing aids) via bluetooth wireless connection.

For customers who do not use electronic muffs or hearing aids, we have an optional bluetooth cassette tape boombox adapter so you can set your boombox on your bench so everyone else can hear the amplified twang too.

The TWANG DANG is also perfectly matched to our ROKK STOKK 300W STEREO amplified A2 stock.

In live fire tests of our prototypes, we found a marked improvement in the ability of the shooter to hear the twang.

(Use of boombox not recommended at a public range. Nearby shooters may confuse your amplified twang with the unamplified twang of their own weapons.)

DANG, Agent!! I never thought there would be shooters who WANT the boing sound louder!! LOL!!

Old 01-16-2014, 01:58 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I always hang the action spring up and give it a good spray of lithium grease and that seems to dampen the boing some. Before I put together my 1st lower I read the book "The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide" by Walt Kuleck with Clint McKee and they said "If you liberally grease (using Tetra Grease or a similar modern hi-tech, hi-temp grease) the buffer spring before you insert it, you will greatly reduce the boing sound caused by the buffer spring on cycling.)

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis