Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Buffer - barrel length - gas system length compatibility

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Buffer - barrel length - gas system length compatibility

I have been searching on here and other forums looking for some sort of definitive answer and haven't been able to find one. I just bought a 20" barrel with a rifle length gas system. I already have a lower built up with a collapsible ACS-L stock and carbine buffer/tube setup. Am I able to use these two together successfully or will I need to change the stock to a rifle length tube and buffer? Or will just a different weight buffer suffice? Any helpful comments appreciated.

Ruger SR-22, Browning Buckmark Camper URX, Sig P250 2Sum 9mm, Beretta Nano, Winchester 101 Trap, CZ 512 Mossberg 500 Flex, Carbine MForgery, and soon a rifle length MForgery........and counting. Damn this is fun

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I'm in the same place you are.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 984 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

Just use the buffer , tube and spring you have , at most you may need to go to a heavier buffer but it will still run with the carbine buffer .
If you need to go to a heavier buffer a H buffer should be fine

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
People Like This 
Old 03-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

purehavoc, thanks for the reply. That was what I was thinking/hoping would be the case but I hadn't seen anybody actually say it. Having read that a rifle had less felt recoil I couldn't wrap my head around how that would be if the gas had longer to travel in the barrel and build more pressure unless the gas system had a larger port and heavier buffer, along with the heavier barrel to counter act all that. You just never stop learning!

Ruger SR-22, Browning Buckmark Camper URX, Sig P250 2Sum 9mm, Beretta Nano, Winchester 101 Trap, CZ 512 Mossberg 500 Flex, Carbine MForgery, and soon a rifle length MForgery........and counting. Damn this is fun

Old 03-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #5

Liked 731 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 699

I agree with Havoc, you should be fine with the ACS and carbine receiver extension. You also can use a rifle stock kit on a carbine length barrel.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 984 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 1778

Its all personal preference you just need to make sure that if you are using a rifle length buffer tube you use a rifle length buffer and spring , Cabine tube carbine length buffer and spring

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
Quentin Likes This 
Old 03-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #7

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoots2little View Post
purehavoc, thanks for the reply. That was what I was thinking/hoping would be the case but I hadn't seen anybody actually say it. Having read that a rifle had less felt recoil I couldn't wrap my head around how that would be if the gas had longer to travel in the barrel and build more pressure unless the gas system had a larger port and heavier buffer, along with the heavier barrel to counter act all that. You just never stop learning!
The gas remains in the barrel longer due to the longer distance between the chamber and the gas port but the volume also increases allowing some pressure reduction. In Stoner's original design the bullet clears the port at the bottom of the pressure curve...hence the reduced felt recoil in the rifle length gas system. Any standard buffer setup, either rifle or carbine should work fine.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #8

Liked 333 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Its kind of weird, considering a rifle buffer is heavier, and designed for a rifle gas system. IIRC the spring rates are different so it balances it out.

But long story short, so long as you don't mix and match components, a complete carbine buffer assembly should work for any gas length. Conversely, a rifle buffer assembly should work with any gas length.

I have a 18" rifle gas that works nicely with a carbine h1 buffer assembly.

AS ALWAYS, thoroughly test your firearm (be it shotgun, pistol or rifle) before you consider putting on "duty". Range toys need not apply.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

JPyle, thanks for the expanded explanation.

Tikki, thanks for all your posts and your 'Primer'. I have scoured that repeatedly looking for that info in there but no luck. Perhaps adding that tidbit in there might be good?

That thread was what pushed me over the edge last year to build my first carbine.

Once again this forum rules!!

Old 03-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #10

Liked 731 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoots2little View Post
JPyle, thanks for the expanded explanation.

Tikki, thanks for all your posts and your 'Primer'. I have scoured that repeatedly looking for that info in there but no luck. Perhaps adding that tidbit in there might be good?

That thread was what pushed me over the edge last year to build my first carbine.

Once again this forum rules!!
Yeah AT sells almost as many ARs as BHO!

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

purehavoc Likes This