Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Buffer - barrel length - gas system length compatibility (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/buffer-barrel-length-gas-system-length-compatibility-86842/)

Shoots2little 03-18-2013 03:37 PM

Buffer - barrel length - gas system length compatibility

I have been searching on here and other forums looking for some sort of definitive answer and haven't been able to find one. I just bought a 20" barrel with a rifle length gas system. I already have a lower built up with a collapsible ACS-L stock and carbine buffer/tube setup. Am I able to use these two together successfully or will I need to change the stock to a rifle length tube and buffer? Or will just a different weight buffer suffice? Any helpful comments appreciated.

e43jimmy409 03-18-2013 04:28 PM

I'm in the same place you are.

purehavoc 03-18-2013 04:42 PM

Just use the buffer , tube and spring you have , at most you may need to go to a heavier buffer but it will still run with the carbine buffer .
If you need to go to a heavier buffer a H buffer should be fine

Shoots2little 03-18-2013 04:47 PM

purehavoc, thanks for the reply. That was what I was thinking/hoping would be the case but I hadn't seen anybody actually say it. Having read that a rifle had less felt recoil I couldn't wrap my head around how that would be if the gas had longer to travel in the barrel and build more pressure unless the gas system had a larger port and heavier buffer, along with the heavier barrel to counter act all that. You just never stop learning!

Quentin 03-18-2013 05:11 PM

I agree with Havoc, you should be fine with the ACS and carbine receiver extension. You also can use a rifle stock kit on a carbine length barrel.

purehavoc 03-18-2013 05:23 PM

Its all personal preference you just need to make sure that if you are using a rifle length buffer tube you use a rifle length buffer and spring , Cabine tube carbine length buffer and spring

Jpyle 03-18-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoots2little (Post 1181033)
purehavoc, thanks for the reply. That was what I was thinking/hoping would be the case but I hadn't seen anybody actually say it. Having read that a rifle had less felt recoil I couldn't wrap my head around how that would be if the gas had longer to travel in the barrel and build more pressure unless the gas system had a larger port and heavier buffer, along with the heavier barrel to counter act all that. You just never stop learning!

The gas remains in the barrel longer due to the longer distance between the chamber and the gas port but the volume also increases allowing some pressure reduction. In Stoner's original design the bullet clears the port at the bottom of the pressure curve...hence the reduced felt recoil in the rifle length gas system. Any standard buffer setup, either rifle or carbine should work fine.

AgentTikki 03-18-2013 06:02 PM

Its kind of weird, considering a rifle buffer is heavier, and designed for a rifle gas system. IIRC the spring rates are different so it balances it out.

But long story short, so long as you don't mix and match components, a complete carbine buffer assembly should work for any gas length. Conversely, a rifle buffer assembly should work with any gas length.

I have a 18" rifle gas that works nicely with a carbine h1 buffer assembly.

AS ALWAYS, thoroughly test your firearm (be it shotgun, pistol or rifle) before you consider putting on "duty". Range toys need not apply.

Shoots2little 03-18-2013 06:25 PM

JPyle, thanks for the expanded explanation.

Tikki, thanks for all your posts and your 'Primer'. I have scoured that repeatedly looking for that info in there but no luck. Perhaps adding that tidbit in there might be good?

That thread was what pushed me over the edge last year to build my first carbine.

Once again this forum rules!!

Quentin 03-18-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoots2little (Post 1181130)
JPyle, thanks for the expanded explanation.

Tikki, thanks for all your posts and your 'Primer'. I have scoured that repeatedly looking for that info in there but no luck. Perhaps adding that tidbit in there might be good?

That thread was what pushed me over the edge last year to build my first carbine.

Once again this forum rules!!

Yeah AT sells almost as many ARs as BHO!