Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Budget Options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 02:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Budget Options

Hey guys, the wifey and I were bad over the weekend and depleted our savings for a couple new toys....despite saving for a house. She got a Shield 9mm and she got me a DPMS Oracle. We got a great deal on both, and couldn't turn them down. Long story short, the Oracle is no fun without any sights on it.....and we're both broke as sin.

So, I'm looking for a few cheap toys to add to the Oracle. I was looking at some cheap/fun sights. I don't need crazy range on it or crazy accuracy.....just something reliable enough to not be garbage. A red dot is what I'm leaning towards there. I'm also looking for a bag/case, a few PMAGs and maybe (later on) changing out the handguard to something cooler (quadrail, maybe).

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms, disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6018 Times on 3296 Posts
Likes Given: 11482

Go for it.

no offense and none taken
BannedBackTogether@email.com

Old 02-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks. I'm just torn as to which sight to get. I think I like this style the best, but I'm afraid that the part with the glass is a little flimsy. I don't have much experience with red dots, but it seems like the ones that look like tiny scopes would have slower target acquisition.

PMAGs are a sure-thing, sling I'm still researching, but a case/bag is something I have no clue on. I'm open to suggestions.

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms, disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1159 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 468

These will punch nice round holes in the paper targets at the range.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Optics/Red-Dots-Lasers|/pc/104792580/c/104752080/sc/104526180/TRUGLOreg-Red-Dot-Sights/749017.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fred-dots-lasers%2Ftruglo%2F_%2FN-1100252%2B4294750378%2FNe-4294750378%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104526180%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat10 4792580%253Bcat104752080%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WT z_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104792580%3Bcat10 4752080%3Bcat104526180

I currently own two of them.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1749 Times on 904 Posts
Likes Given: 347

I think the folks making and/or selling ARs are paying attention to the PSAs of the world. That, and those shortages that drove up prices last year are disappearing

My guess is, barring another mass shooting event and subsequent media circus....OR.....an 'Executive Order' that effects semi auto rifles......round about June-July of this year there may be deals all over the place!

Old 02-04-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 891 Times on 405 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
I think the folks making and/or selling ARs are paying attention to the PSAs of the world. That, and those shortages that drove up prices last year are disappearing

My guess is, barring another mass shooting event and subsequent media circus....OR.....an 'Executive Order' that effects semi auto rifles......round about June-July of this year there may be deals all over the place!

Good! Then that'll make it a bit cheaper for me to build a few more! I hope you are right!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
People Like This 
Old 02-04-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 891 Times on 405 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorzamora View Post
Thanks. I'm just torn as to which sight to get. I think I like this style the best, but I'm afraid that the part with the glass is a little flimsy. I don't have much experience with red dots, but it seems like the ones that look like tiny scopes would have slower target acquisition.

PMAGs are a sure-thing, sling I'm still researching, but a case/bag is something I have no clue on. I'm open to suggestions.

Keep your eyes open for AIM Surplus deals. Can't tell to how many mags I've bought from them...... Always have good deals on Pmags. You might also consider Troy Battle Mags. They are every bit as good as Pmags. Last year I bought 20 of their 30 rounders from AIM for $8.95/each.

Check out Primary Arms for a good deal on red dots. Their Primary Arms branded ones are nice and a great value.

Have fun with your new toys!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Old 02-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #8

Liked 69 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I've got an Oracle also. You'll find they shoot very well. For an Optic I have a Bushnell TRS-32($130) and I like it. Bushnell also has the TRS-25($90 or $110w/mount). I also own a Tru-Glo 1x30 and it's on a little 9mm Carbine that does very well. You might even find that the Center Point RD Scopes will work too.
If you want Scope, the Nikon ProStaff is a very well built and excellent low budget Scope.
There's also Magpul Flip Up Irons for around $70 each, but for the Oracle, you'll need the "Metal" Front Gas Block Sight to keep from melting.

Also for a good cheap option for the Quad Rail, might I recommend the UTG "PRO" Slim Quad. I have one on my Oracle and it's been very good. Make sure it's the "PRO" model if you do, as it's built in USA and not Chinese.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #9
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 15

This isn't too bad of a red dot sight for $89.99, comes with a lifetime warranty. http://www.westforkarmory.com/red-dots-lasers-optics/1016-tactical-red-dot-sight-sm13041.html As far mags, we have magpul pmags on sale for $9.55 each right now in all colors http://www.westforkarmory.com/magpul-magazines/108-magpul-pmag-223rem-30rnd-blk.html

Type 07 FFL Class 2 SOT
$125.00 NiB Coated AR15/M16 BCG's
$239.99 NiB Coated AR308 BCG's
$9.55 Magpul PMAG's
Suppressors, Night Vision/Thermal, AR15's
www.WestForkArmory.com
Michael@westforkarmory.com
FFL Transfers $20.00 NFA Transfers $50.00
Conroe, Texas
We are Veteran Owned and Operated!

Old 02-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Gator: Thanks for the link...I'll look in to it.

Chloe: I hope there are deals! By then, I might be looking at another AR (pistol, precision, or build for the wife....we'll see).

Texas: Thanks for the link and the advice. I'll keep my eyes open.

Triumph: Thanks for the tips. That quadrail seems awesome.

WFA: Thanks for your links. I'll definitely be looking through your site. It looks like good stuff.