Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Budget HBAR AR-15 build options (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/budget-hbar-ar-15-build-options-29151/)

Jedi940 07-09-2010 02:48 PM

Budget HBAR AR-15 build options

First post; First AR-15

I am looking to start building my first AR-15. and am trying to keep the budget under $800. I know exactly what I want and am just trying to find the right combination of parts that will produce a decent quality gun.

For the Lower I have a source for a bushmaster stripped lower for $50 and I am going with a Rock River National Match lower parts kit for $130 and a commercial spec collapsible stock by DSA for $50.

For the upper, I want a heavy barrel. No M4 profile. I do not like how thin it gets under the handguard. Additionally, I don't want the A2 front sight. I just want a rail so I can add flip up sights that won't interfere with any optics. A railed handguard is not not necessary. I just plan on buying a short section of rail from brownells and mounting it on the side of the handguard for a tactical light. The only upper I have found that meets this criteria is a Del-Ton upper HERE

It has the heavy barrel, railed gas block with YHM sight already included for $425. I read alot of people recommending spikes tactical but it seems that all their uppers come with the A2 front sight.

Are there any other options that I am missing?

***EDIT***
Also I forgot to mention that I want a 16" barrel. Also, if there is a big advantage to accuracy, I may be convinced to go with a free float front end. Was trying to stay away from it to keep the weight down since I already have a heavy barrel.

mjkeat 07-10-2010 04:27 AM

Skip the railed gas block and go for a rail that covers the GB and then add a Magpul MBus set. The railed GB gets hot and most flip sights are not recomended for use on a railed GB. Plus IMO the longer rail looks better and really isnt but a couple $ more. And YES to the free floated rail.

Go 14.5 w/ a pinned brake midlength gas system for an overall length of roughly 16". Just as accurate, a little lighter, a little shorter, great all purpose length.

Spikes is great for the money. I just got one a couple weeks ago and it shoots as well as my $2k piston gun.

$479 and comes w/ BCG and one of the best buffers available and free shipping.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XSTU5035&search=spike

Jedi940 07-10-2010 04:59 AM

I did find that particular spikes tactical upper but I don't like the A2 front sight so I'd have to replace that, and also, that barrel is a 1 in 7 twist which, from what I under stand, is to high for lighter weight ammo. This is going to be a plinking/SHTF rifle so it will mostly shoot 55-62 gr. bullets. The del-ton upper is 1 in 9.

If I go with a custom heavy barrel Del-Ton upper, I can add chrome lining to the barrel, YHM low profile gas block, and YHM light weight 4 rail free float tube for a total of $529. I might also add a phantom 5c2 flash suppressor for $20 because I like the way it looks.

***EDIT***
$484 if I skip the chrome lining. Just did a quick search and might save on that feature. I don't think this rifle will see enough action to warrant the durability gained with a chrome barrel

mjkeat 07-10-2010 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedi940 (Post 312869)
I did find that particular spikes tactical upper but I don't like the A2 front sight so I'd have to replace that, and also, that barrel is a 1 in 7 twist which, from what I under stand, is to high for lighter weight ammo. This is going to be a plinking/SHTF rifle so it will mostly shoot 55-62 gr. bullets. The del-ton upper is 1 in 9.

If I go with a custom heavy barrel Del-Ton upper, I can add chrome lining to the barrel, YHM low profile gas block, and YHM light weight 4 rail free float tube for a total of $529. I might also add a phantom 5c2 flash suppressor for $20 because I like the way it looks.

The 1/7 twist works well w/ everything and gives you the option to shoot the heavy stuff if you want. I shoot the bulk light grain stuff like its going out of style and get great results. The front sight can be removed and a low profile added w/ the removal of 2 pins. The Spikes is already chrome lined.

How long is the "YHM light weight 4 rail free float tube" ?

Quentin 07-10-2010 05:21 AM

Well it sounds like you've done research so if you like the way the Del-Ton upper is configured and the YHM sight, don't let yourself get talked out of it unless something else is clearly superior.

Actually I went a similar route last year and bought the ArmaLite U15A4CB midlength upper with railed gas block and 1:9 twist since I mostly shoot 55-62 gr as well. Some 1:7 bores do ok with 55gr and many do not so 1:9 is a good bet to give better accuracy. I've found that the standard handguards work fine and your mounting solution for a light is sound.

I do think chrome lining is worth the extra cost but it's not necessary of course.

mjkeat 07-10-2010 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 312887)
Well it sounds like you've done research so if you like the way the Del-Ton upper is configured and the YHM sight, don't let yourself get talked out of it unless something else is clearly superior.

Actually I went a similar route last year and bought the ArmaLite U15A4CB midlength upper with railed gas block and 1:9 twist since I mostly shoot 55-62 gr as well. I've found that the standard handguards work fine and your mounting solution for a light is sound.

I do think chrome lining is worth the extra cost but it's not necessary of course.

Sorry if I came across as trying to talk him out of the Del-Ton. I have been there and know from my own experience that sometimes its more expensive to learn on your own. I wouldnt want to see someone spend as much or more on something to turn around and out grow it when they could have purchased something and grew into it.

Jedi940 07-10-2010 05:30 AM

Looking at yhm.net, and assuming del-ton would put the mid length rail with it since it is a mid length gas system, it would be 9.2 inches.

YHM, Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc. Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors | Forearms

@Quentin

Don't get me wrong, I like the way a railed AR looks and wouldn't mind having one but other than a light, I don't think I will be putting anything else up there in order to save weight (Maybe a vertical grip but if i never had one, don't think I'd miss it. If heat on the flip up sights is an issue, I don't want to shorten the life of the sight by going with that gas block. In addition, if I can get better accuracy with a free float front end, that might be worth it to me. However if that increase in accuracy is going to be 0.1 MOA, then perhaps not.

Quentin 07-10-2010 05:36 AM

Yeah it's difficult to recommend for someone else since you can't be sure that it's right for them especially in the future as their needs may change. I actually agree with you on the Spikes LE uppers, they're incredible bargains and the odds are that 1:7 will handle 55gr. just fine. Also there are ways to live with a fixed A2/F-marked FSB.

I was just saying that if Jedi has chosen the Del-Ton because it offers the features he wants for the best price then maybe give it a little more thought but in the end it is his decision. One thing for sure, there are so many great choices -it ain't easy! :D

Jedi940 07-10-2010 05:36 AM

Upon closer inspection, the custom upper is a carbine length hand guard so I assume that is also a carbine length gas system which would put the ytm rail at 7.2 inches. The upper with the flip up front sight, is a mid length system. I might send them an email and see if I can get the mid length gas system on the custom upper. From what I have read, that will be easier on the whole rifle.

Quentin 07-10-2010 05:42 AM

Jedi, I didn't see your post until I posted. I agree that it's usually better to get a midlength - especially since you want an HBAR anyway. As far as a sight on a railed gas block, the plastic magpuls aren't recommended but the YHM should be fine (looks like it's integral with the gas block anyway).