Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Broken trigger guard tab

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Broken trigger guard tab

I was trying to take out the roll pin on the trigger guard to upgrade to the enhanced guard when the thin aluminum tab broke off in spite of me having a block under it. Can anyone recomend a "expert" I can send it to. Should it be a smith or a welder that does TIG. Before I get razzed for not being more carefull, I have built more than 6 ARs without a hitch. I appreciate any and all advice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Crap happens to everyone. How about stopping by the introductions thread and telling us a little about yourself. Your question is above my pay grade, but I am sure that someone more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly.

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 06-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Well, you could JB weld it and redrill the hole, touch it up and it will still look like chit...or you could get it TIG welded, a little smith work and some refinishing, cost you a little less or the same as what a new stripped lower would go for....or get one of these SE AR-15 grips and salvage the lower, as long as the front pin is still there and there are no other hairline cracks.

Stark Equipment SE-1 AR-15 Grip

Personally, I would opt for new stripped lower, and start over, YMMV.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Last edited by IGETEVEN; 06-28-2010 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Link page address

Old 06-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #4

Liked 174 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntkrazed View Post
Can anyone recomend a "expert" I can send it to. Should it be a smith or a welder that does TIG.
Both actually. An experienced TIG/TGAW welder will be light years ahead of the typical gunsmith when it comes to properly welding your 7075-T6 aluminum alloy receiver. He/she will also have the best equipment (Advanced Square Wave / Inverter) for doing the job. Afterward, send it to a good AR smith for proper fitting and refinishing.

My 2¢, and worth what you paid for it....