Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   AR-15 Discussion (
-   -   Broken trigger guard tab (

Huntkrazed 06-26-2010 11:07 PM

Broken trigger guard tab
I was trying to take out the roll pin on the trigger guard to upgrade to the enhanced guard when the thin aluminum tab broke off in spite of me having a block under it. Can anyone recomend a "expert" I can send it to. Should it be a smith or a welder that does TIG. Before I get razzed for not being more carefull, I have built more than 6 ARs without a hitch. I appreciate any and all advice.

Glasshartt 06-28-2010 12:15 PM

Crap happens to everyone. How about stopping by the introductions thread and telling us a little about yourself. Your question is above my pay grade, but I am sure that someone more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly.

IGETEVEN 06-28-2010 01:57 PM

Well, you could JB weld it and redrill the hole, touch it up and it will still look like chit...or you could get it TIG welded, a little smith work and some refinishing, cost you a little less or the same as what a new stripped lower would go for....or get one of these SE AR-15 grips and salvage the lower, as long as the front pin is still there and there are no other hairline cracks.

Stark Equipment SE-1 AR-15 Grip

Personally, I would opt for new stripped lower, and start over, YMMV.


Highpower 06-28-2010 01:57 PM


Originally Posted by Huntkrazed (Post 306477)
Can anyone recomend a "expert" I can send it to. Should it be a smith or a welder that does TIG.

Both actually. An experienced TIG/TGAW welder will be light years ahead of the typical gunsmith when it comes to properly welding your 7075-T6 aluminum alloy receiver. He/she will also have the best equipment (Advanced Square Wave / Inverter) for doing the job. Afterward, send it to a good AR smith for proper fitting and refinishing.

My 2, and worth what you paid for it....

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:35 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.