Broke my AR Bolt today! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Broke my AR Bolt today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 06:19 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2742 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 231

non-MP bolt

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

What I've found out from a few other sites is, it seems to be made by WilTec Industries for Del-Ton. Haven't heard of any other's losing their teeth.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Uh-Oh, time to get a new bolt assembly. That's just sad to see!

BCM and Spikes have some good ones. $200 should do the deal. It should just drop right in.

Any hope of a Warranty claim? I'm not sure I'd take a replacement that is just more of the same product though after seeing that.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #14

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Overall the UR is fine, in fact it's a Tack Driver. I'm sure outsource the bolts but I've never heard of WIB?
The saying "Rode hard and put up wet" actually refers to horses that haven't been cared for properly. If you ride a horse hard and he sweats a lot you are supposed to walk it around and cool off and dry it off before you put it back in the barn or wherever. It's a very old saying.
As applies to guns, yes it means shot a lot and put away without being cared for. You can use the term for almost anything that isn't cared for properly.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 04-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Could be a manufacture defect on either the chamber or the bolt. If two different bolts broke I might have a gun smith look at the chamber with another bolt and see if it hangs up anywhere in the chamber.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #16

Liked 4791 Times on 2317 Posts
Likes Given: 1479

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
non-MP bolt
What's MP?

I googled "broken WIB bolt" and found an old thread at AR15.com describing the exact same thing. The thread indicated a bad batch that were poorly heat treated hitting the market about 2 to 3 years ago. I suspect my builder, J&S, got some of these and unknowingly resold them to customers.

I emailed J&S yesterday and hope to hear back today. We will see what they have to say.

I'm more concerned about possible chamber damage because one of the teeth somehow got forward of the next round and locked up that round in the chamber. This prevented it from going into battery, firing, and possibly causing a catastrophic failure had the tooth popped forward into the riffeled area but the extracted live round was pretty bent up telling me there was quite a bit of force on that broken tooth as it sat in the chamber.

I'm hoping to drop the whole upper off at J&S to have it checked out as it used to shoot .5 MOA. Hopefully there's no chamber damage and I can simply replace the bolt.

Tack

Old 04-23-2012, 03:57 PM   #17

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

MP = MPI, magnetic particle inspection. Checks metal parts for voids and micro fractures that could lead to a failure such as yours.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #18

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Any primer penetrations or other indications of out of spec head spacing? Is the bolt head fused to the carrier or binding in any way that would prevent unlocking? Short of anything else mechanic with the bolt and it's cycling I would suggest it was just a defective bolt head that gave way at it's weakest, unsupported point around the extractor.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #19

Default WilTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
What I've found out from a few other sites is, it seems to be made by WilTec Industries for Del-Ton. Haven't heard of any other's losing their teeth.
I googled WilTec and found a heavy industrial machine fabricator. I contacted them with a full description of the problem and offered photos if someone will return my communication. We will see what happens.

Tack

Old 04-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Any primer penetrations or other indications of out of spec head spacing? Is the bolt head fused to the carrier or binding in any way that would prevent unlocking? Short of anything else mechanic with the bolt and it's cycling I would suggest it was just a defective bolt head that gave way at it's weakest, unsupported point around the extractor.
I checked all the spent brass and found no irregularities. Only the live round that failed to chamber had any damage. No binding with carrier either and I doubt there was any head space issues. This upper held consistent .5 MOA groups before the incident. I'm becoming convinced that it's defective bolt, not properly heat treated.

Called J&S but there closed on Monday. Hope to bear from them tomorrow.

Tack