Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Broke my AR Bolt today! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/broke-my-ar-bolt-today-63096/)

Tackleberry1 04-23-2012 04:43 AM

Broke my AR Bolt today!

5 Attachment(s)
This is a new one for me guys. 6 years of Infantry service and 10 + years of AR shooting, I've never seen a bolt lug break off...Let alone 2!:eek:

Factory new ammo in an upper receiver built by J&S out of Olympia WA.

The Bolt Carries is stamped WIB

Anyone seen this before or know what could have caused it?

I was using a brass catcher to keep from pelting the guys to my right so I know there were no case blow outs of any kind. It's like the lugs on both sides of the extractor just broke off?

Feedback...Please.

TACK

goretro77 04-23-2012 04:48 AM

note to self: never buy a upper receiver built by J&S out of Olympia WA.

BenLuby 04-23-2012 04:53 AM

How old is the BCG? Actually have a DVD from Bravo Company about AR's, and one of the things that he discusses is that exact problem, but it is usually only seen, from what I understand, in high round count BCG's that are rode hard and put up wet. And even then it's uncommon.

Tackleberry1 04-23-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goretro77 (Post 779410)
note to self: never buy a upper receiver built by J&S out of Olympia WA.

Overall the UR is fine, in fact it's a Tack Driver. I'm sure outsource the bolts but I've never heard of WIB?

jordan89 04-23-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenLuby
How old is the BCG? Actually have a DVD from Bravo Company about AR's, and one of the things that he discusses is that exact problem, but it is usually only seen, from what I understand, in high round count BCG's that are rode hard and put up wet. And even then it's uncommon.

Now I hate to show my stupidity here, but what do you mean by put up wet?

Tackleberry1 04-23-2012 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenLuby (Post 779414)

Bought the complete upper w/bolt & carrier group about 2 years ago. No more than 300 rounds through it.

Tack

canebrake 04-23-2012 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordan89 (Post 779416)
Now I hate to show my stupidity here, but what do you mean by put up wet?

^ Not cleaned.

Tack, are you sure there wasn't a casing bounce back from the brass catcher that may have been the culprit?

Did you find the broken lugs?

BenLuby 04-23-2012 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 779422)
^ Not cleaned.

Tack, are you sure there wasn't a casing bounce back from the brass catcher that may have been the culprit?

Someone who knows old slang. Good. I was wondering about a brass catcher as well. I don't really like those things.

Tackleberry1 04-23-2012 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 779422)
^ Not cleaned.

No bounce back, not possible, our range brass catchers are 2'x2' net covered boxes sitting 18" to the side of the rifle and the netting is loose. The brass drops straight down the net.

Yes, both lugs were in the chamber. 1 had to be "rodded" out of the chamber, the other was sitting loosely in the locking lug rotational area just forward of the chamber and "shook" out. You can see them both next to the bolt in the pics above.

Tack

jordan89 04-23-2012 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake

^ Not cleaned.

Thank you. I figured it was something like that but just wanted to make sure.