Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Brass vs. steel case torture test (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/brass-vs-steel-case-torture-test-80953/)

Quentin 01-11-2013 12:03 AM

Brass vs. steel case torture test
 
Saw this very interesting test of 10,000 rounds each of Federal FMJ, Brown Bear, Wolf and Tula in four identical Bushmasters. Well executed test, quite detailed, a real torture test. Thought I'd make a post here for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Well worth the read.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

dog2000tj 01-11-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 1088646)
Saw this very interesting test of 10,000 rounds each of Federal FMJ, Brown Bear, Wolf and Tula in four identical Bushmasters. Well executed test, quite detailed, a real torture test. Thought I'd make a post here for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

Well worth the read.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

too bad they didn't use DPMS rifles ... maybe they could have put that issue to rest as well :p

GeneralPatton 01-11-2013 01:42 AM

It is a good read. I've seen it posted in several places. I sold ALL my Tula after reading it. (luckily, just recently, and at a tidy profit) But I did shoot some Tula and Wolf through my DPMS without issue. Granted it wasn't a lot.

Quentin 01-11-2013 01:47 AM

Quote:

... serious accuracy issues were noted with two carbines ...
Quote:

... Barrel nuts were torqued to inconsistent values: two had been torqued to approximately 5 ft/lbs, while the other two had been torqued within the appropriate range of 30-80 ft/lbs...
No way two of four factory rifles should have such serious assembly issues. This is inexcusable and embarrassing for Bushmaster. I have to admit the rifles performed well after they were assembled properly. You'd think assemblers at Ilion would be trained better.

fsted2a 01-11-2013 06:04 PM

:eek:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 1088809)
No way two of four factory rifles should have such serious assembly issues. This is inexcusable and embarrassing for Bushmaster. I have to admit the rifles performed well after they were assembled properly. You'd think assemblers at Ilion would be trained better.

5lb torque on the barrel nut? Surprised it didn't just wiggle loose off the rifle as it was fired, or worse.:eek: I think from now on I will just build my own. DAMN!

AgentTikki 01-14-2013 03:51 AM

Thx for sharing that Q.

Awesome read. I just wish they could have tested out a FNC'd barrel too.

Quentin 01-14-2013 04:44 AM

That would be interesting but I wonder if it would have done any better than chrome lined. What was fortunate is that the BM/Tula problem got a CHF barrel in the test. And interesting that CHF didn't improve barrel life.

I'll continue firing steel case since I have a lot but there is a hidden expense especially if you love to do repeated mag dumps.

fsted2a 01-14-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 1092883)
That would be interesting but I wonder if it would have done any better than chrome lined. What was fortunate is that the BM/Tula problem got a CHF barrel in the test. And interesting that CHF didn't improve barrel life.

I'll continue firing steel case since I have a lot but there is a hidden expense especially if you love to do repeated mag dumps.

I am sure BILLT is going to say "I told ya'll so". I still think steel is acceptable if you are not competing. A lot of AR's will fire them without a hiccup.

Quentin 01-14-2013 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsted2a (Post 1093166)
I am sure BILLT is going to say "I told ya'll so". I still think steel is acceptable if you are not competing. A lot of AR's will fire them without a hiccup.

True, true! And on a rifle that harder to rebarrel the extra barrel wear is something to consider when buying ammo. The AR's ease of replacement makes the decision easier.

ETA:

I.E. Using steel case in a Mini-14 - or even in an AK-74 (5.45x39).

sputnik1988 01-14-2013 02:37 PM

I'll continue to shoot Tula, but I think my stash will slowly be replaced by Federal American Eagle. Thanks for the post.


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:13 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.