brand new user w/a new AR

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > brand new user w/a new AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default brand new user w/a new AR

Hola I'm a new user,and just bought my 1st AR.I bought a S&W M&P in 5.45.It came with a red dot and front sight post.However I miss my old m16a2 and would like to install a flip up sight in the rear while still being able to use a scope on it.I have seen and heard about configurations with the scope off set.Is this a viable solution?I'm a right handed shooter so the scope would wind up near the ejection port.If this is doable what kind of parts and scope should I be in the market for?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

All you need is a QD optics mount tall enough that you can mount a rear BUIS. Larue and a couple others make one.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #3

After you start using the red dot you won,t miss the BUIS.
I must ask why the 5.45x39? I have a S&W in 5.56 also and AK in 5.45x39 so I just wonder why you bought the S&W in 5.45.
I have a AIMPOINT M4 on one of my AK 7.62x39s great optic system.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #4

To honest I wanted to try something new.I trained and learned on M16A2,so I am of course familiar with the 5.56 round.A buddy has a Ak74 and after firing it I started looking into a AR of the same caliber.I don't honestly think there is as much difference as people think between the 2,aside from price and the selection.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggi View Post
To honest I wanted to try something new.I trained and learned on M16A2,so I am of course familiar with the 5.56 round.A buddy has a Ak74 and after firing it I started looking into a AR of the same caliber.I don't honestly think there is as much difference as people think between the 2,aside from price and the selection.
I can take my AKs down and clean them so much quicker then my ARs, I can clean two AKs in the time it takes to clean one AR.
My AK in 5.45 shoots as good as my AR 5.56. and the Ammo. cost is a hell of a lot cheaper.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:06 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

People complain to much about cleaning. A wipe down is all thats needed 95% of the time. Sometimes I go multiple range trips w/o cleaning my ARs. They go bang every time.

Theres even an article where they have pushed an AR b/w 40k and 50k w/ minimal cleaning and maintenance.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:27 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 View Post
I can take my AKs down and clean them so much quicker then my ARs
You have to clean an AK ?? I never knew