Which brand of AR to purchase?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Which brand of AR to purchase?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kankakee County,Illinois
Posts: 1,766
Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Default Which brand of AR to purchase?

I am looking to purchase 3 AR's in the foreseable future. I want to
purchase the equivalent to Rock River Arm LAR-15 Standard A4 Model.
I will be equiping them with red dot optics and the detachable carry
handle and 8 magazines each.

The LGS all have their favorite brands. The 3 names that keep coming
up are Rock River Arms, DPMS and Bushmaster. I already own one
Bushmaster and I am happy with it.

These rifles will be for my family members in case the SHTF. I have a
local support group in case the SHTF and we have standardized on 5.56
Nato for our common rifle and .45 ACP for pistol. Most of us have AR
and 1911 platforms

But what are your thoughts, input and ideas on the matter?

__________________
An Armed man is a Citizen,
An Unarmed man is a Subject. -- Unknown

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy


Last edited by Shade; 10-14-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Shade is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 10-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dog2000tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,309
Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
I am looking to purchase 3 AR's in the foreseable future. I want to
purchase the equivalent to Rock River Arm LAR-15 Standard A4 Model.
I will be equiping them with red dot optics and the detachable carry
handle and 8 magazines each.

The LGS all have their favorite brands. The 3 names that keep coming
up are Rock River Arms, DPMS and Bushmaster. I already own one
Bushmaster and I am happy with it.

These rifles will be for my family members in case the SHTF. I have a
local support group in case the SHTF and we have standardized on 5.56
Nato for our common rifle and .45 ACP for pistol. Most of us have AR
and 1911 platforms

But what are your thoughts, input and ideas on the matter?
what's your price range? Have you given any thought to building your own? Of the 3 listed I would go with RRA, but if I had my choice I would opt for a STAG over all 3
__________________

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

dog2000tj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:54 AM   #3
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,783
Liked 8100 Times on 4677 Posts
Likes Given: 10454

Default

RRA of the three given. I would stay away from Bushmaster. Ideally you should do like Dog suggested and build your own. Maybe you could get a deal on three of them.

__________________
Vikingdad is online now  
dog2000tj Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kankakee County,Illinois
Posts: 1,766
Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
RRA of the three given. I would stay away from Bushmaster. Ideally you should do like Dog suggested and build your own. Maybe you could get a deal on three of them.
3 Standard A4 LAR 15 I can do $840 plus tax ea. which is a
total of $2520.00 plus tax let me know what you want to do.

This pricing seemed very reasonable to me. I am still waiting on
quotes from the others I asked for.
__________________
An Armed man is a Citizen,
An Unarmed man is a Subject. -- Unknown

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Shade is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kankakee County,Illinois
Posts: 1,766
Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
what's your price range? Have you given any thought to building your own? Of the 3 listed I would go with RRA, but if I had my choice I would opt for a STAG over all 3
Price range, keep them reasonable, I am not going to build them out as
$2000 rifles. Basic KISS.

$840 for the LAR- 15 A4
~$200 for a decent Red dot.
~$100 for a carry handle

Thats close to $1150 I do not figure tax in, it is there and just has to be
paid.

I will likely as chrome lined barrels that will make it $1200 a rifle, my orignal
thought was $5k for all three, right now I am at $3600 so I have some room
to move.

I will look into the STAG, what is it about the STAG that you like over other
brands, if I may ask?
__________________
An Armed man is a Citizen,
An Unarmed man is a Subject. -- Unknown

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Shade is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:35 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dog2000tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,309
Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Price range, keep them reasonable, I am not going to build them out as
$2000 rifles. Basic KISS.

$840 for the LAR- 15 A4
~$200 for a decent Red dot.
~$100 for a carry handle

Thats close to $1150 I do not figure tax in, it is there and just has to be
paid.

I will likely as chrome lined barrels that will make it $1200 a rifle, my orignal
thought was $5k for all three, right now I am at $3600 so I have some room
to move.

I will look into the STAG, what is it about the STAG that you like over other
brands, if I may ask?
I built my first AR based on a STAG receiver set, fit and finish are excellent and the rifle has performed beyond expectations. $840 for a RRA AR is pretty good considering the political climate plus you'd be hard pressed to build an AR for that price. But if the final price for each is $1200 I would look at STAG as well - http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_22&products_id=208 $995 with Plus package
__________________

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD


Last edited by dog2000tj; 10-14-2012 at 07:18 AM.
dog2000tj is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kankakee County,Illinois
Posts: 1,766
Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
I built my first AR based on a STAG receiver set, fit and finish are excellent and the rifle has performed beyond expectations. $840 for a RRA AR is pretty good considering the political climate plus you'd be hard pressed to build an AR for that price. But if teh final price for each is $1200 I would look at STAG as well - http://www.stagarms.com/product_info.php?cPath=13_22&products_id=208 $995 with Plus package
I would go with the STAG Model 4. I will get a quote on those also


Thanks,
Ron
__________________
An Armed man is a Citizen,
An Unarmed man is a Subject. -- Unknown

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Shade is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bige91603's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 842
Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Default

My last build game to 700 total with optics

__________________
bige91603 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Shade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kankakee County,Illinois
Posts: 1,766
Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
I would go with the STAG Model 4. I will get a quote on those also


Thanks,
Ron
Well between travel, work, Power steering pump in the F-350, farming,
kids, wifes todo list, life, reloading, running for School Board, hunting, etc.

I did some digging and decided to order the Stag Arms Model 4. I have
3 coming. $894 +tax delivered.

Now what Red Dot to stick on them...

Thanks for the assistance.
__________________
An Armed man is a Citizen,
An Unarmed man is a Subject. -- Unknown

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy


Last edited by Shade; 12-04-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Shade is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:57 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,737
Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2014

Default

Might I ask why you need to have the carry handle ?
I understand you already made your decision and I never really saw this thread . Here would have been the route I would have went in your shoes and saved some $$$$ for ammo

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/rifles/palmetto-state-armory/psa-16-mid-premium-patrol-rifle-package.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/rifles/palmetto-state-armory/psa-16-m4-strikefire-premium-carbine.html


Quote:
I did some digging and decided to order the Stag Arms Model 4. I have
3 coming. $894 +tax delivered.

Now what Red Dot to stick on them...

Thanks for the assistance.
__________________

Last edited by purehavoc; 12-04-2012 at 01:00 AM.
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
AR-15 brand new, how to? xdm11chad AR-15 Discussion 9 10-18-2011 11:04 PM
New brand to me??? curly45 General Handgun Discussion 1 01-08-2011 12:40 AM
Brand new please help HomieDontUKnowMe .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 11 10-05-2010 06:12 PM
Brand new AR-15! Steviepc7 AR-15 Discussion 9 06-16-2010 10:26 PM