Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Bore snake question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/bore-snake-question-95272/)

monteros 08-11-2013 01:54 PM

I have never used a bore snake before. Just bought one and they seem like a great option, but the question I have is regarding cleaning the actual bore snake itself. I'm assuming that there will be build up on the snake over time. Am I wrong and it never needs a wash itself? Or do you just run it through your washing machine on occasion in washer bag or something?

Argyle_Armoring 08-11-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monteros (Post 1332511)
I have never used a bore snake before. Just bought one and they seem like a great option, but the question I have is regarding cleaning the actual bore snake itself. I'm assuming that there will be build up on the snake over time. Am I wrong and it never needs a wash itself? Or do you just run it through your washing machine on occasion in washer bag or something?

You answered your own question.

Gatoragn 08-11-2013 02:45 PM

A bore snake is handy for a quick cleaning, does not replace a thorough strip and clean.

Yep, bag 'em and wash every now and again.

I have a bore snake that is compatible with each caliber I own.

monteros 08-11-2013 02:58 PM

Awesome thanks guys! I actually enjoy braking down and cleaning!

Quentin 08-11-2013 04:17 PM

I've never used a boresnake, instead I have an Otis cable bore cleaner and just pull a patch through for a quick clean.

JonM 08-11-2013 04:23 PM

i like this a lot coupled with a one piece poly rod makes cleaning SUPER easy.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/115057/jp-enterprises-bore-guide-ar-15-556-nato-223-remington

little on the pricey side but worth every penny if you like your ar15. bore snakes are an ok last resort type thing maybe stuff one in a storage compartment or bottom of a bugout bag but its not even close to using a proper cleaning rod and bore guide. i liken bore snakes to using TP after you use the toilet then put it back on the roll for later...

monteros 08-11-2013 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1332617)
i like this a lot coupled with a one piece poly rod makes cleaning SUPER easy.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/115057/jp-enterprises-bore-guide-ar-15-556-nato-223-remington

little on the pricey side but worth every penny if you like your ar15. bore snakes are an ok last resort type thing maybe stuff one in a storage compartment or bottom of a bugout bag but its not even close to using a proper cleaning rod and bore guide. i liken bore snakes to using TP after you use the toilet then put it back on the roll for later...

Nice, I like that!

myname 08-12-2013 04:00 PM

I wash my boresnakes in a pail with some TSP and hot water. No doubt any good strong detergent would do the trick. I'm just not that wild about putting nasty lead and chemical laden things in our home washing machine.
When I do a complete cleaning on any of my rifles, I will put some patches through the barrel with strong copper killer and let it sit for a while. Then pull the bore snake through after I get a relatively clean patch pulled through. I put a good bit of preservative oil on the tail of the bore snake first. Before I go shooting rifles, I always run a bore snake through to clean out any excess oil.
Bore snakes can also be effective as a broken shell extractor.
Works for me.

1911love 08-17-2013 03:18 AM

How do you use a bore snake as a broken shell extractor?

JonM 08-17-2013 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911love (Post 1337782)
How do you use a bore snake as a broken shell extractor?

Pull it muzzle first it might pull the broken case out.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:44 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.