Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Bore sighters (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/bore-sighters-21821/)

lonyaeger 01-04-2010 07:00 PM

Bore sighters

Does anyone use on of the laser bore sighters? If so, do they work well? I need to just get my AR on paper and then I can take it from there with the scope adjustments.

canebrake 01-04-2010 07:42 PM

With the correct lighting, my eyes can use a bore laser out to about 100 feet.

I can barely see the paper at 100 yards without the scope.

I have both bore lasers. The ones that are the cartridge type are fine for hand gun distance but too weak to mark at any long gun range.

My other bore laser is one I put into the muzzle and it is much stronger and works better for rifles.

What I have found is if I use the laser here in the house, (I have a long hall that let's me set up about a 65 foot range) and dial the scope/red dot into this distance. Usually it will get me on paper so I can tune 'er in!

Start with a fresh, over sized cardboard and walk it in.

Highpower 01-05-2010 07:00 AM

Bore sighting. I wonder where that term came from? :D

Remove the upper and bolt carrier and prop it up on a table.
Done deal, and it's FREE.

Kids these days....... :rolleyes: :p

lonyaeger 01-05-2010 12:11 PM

Man, that's a nice gun vise Larry has. I wonder how much THOSE go for? I guess, if you have one of those, the old-fashioned way would be pretty easy. Thanks.

KingTiger 01-05-2010 03:21 PM

I have one that goes into the end of the muzzle. I've used it on multiple weapons and it gets you on the paper at 50 yards. For $40, it payed for itself in a relatively short amount of time. I usually shine it on a tree about 30 yards away in dim light & you're GTG.

IGETEVEN 01-05-2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingTiger (Post 208685)
I have one that goes into the end of the muzzle. I've used it on multiple weapons and it gets you on the paper at 50 yards. For $40, it payed for itself in a relatively short amount of time. I usually shine it on a tree about 30 yards away in dim light & you're GTG.

Big +1 and mine even works at 75-100 yards too. :cool:

Jack

lonyaeger 01-05-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingTiger (Post 208685)

What brand is it, King?

skullcrusher 01-05-2010 04:16 PM

I got mine on sale from Cabela's a couple of years ago. It came with fittings that can be used on rifles from .22 all the way up to 12 ga. Little carry case and a target for sighting at short disatances. It gets me close everytime. One of my better investments. :)

mrm14 01-05-2010 04:37 PM

Tried a couple of these laser bore sighters and they were not too good until I found www.sitelite-lasers.com I use the SL500MG for sighting my scopes for my M1A and other semi auto rifles. The SL500MG has a longer tang to go into rifle barrels with muzzelbreaks or flash hiders. Keep in mind that any of these laser bore sighters will only get you on the paper.

When at the range doing final sighting in I use a rifle rest. The one I use is made by www.targetshooting.com I have the Model 1000. I also got the bull vise, front sand bag, and rear fine tuning set up. This is a pretty nice rifle rest / gun vise. This rifle rest saves alot of ammo when sighting in.

slowryde45 01-05-2010 04:50 PM

I have the Aimshot .223 cartridge type laser bore sight kit,

AimSHOT Universal Laser Boresights

with the arbors for the other calibers I have. Slip them on the .223 laser arbor and you've got just about all your needs covered. Usually sight it in at 25yds, then crank up from there.

Also have one of the muzzle type bore sighters from Cabela's:

Cabelas Laser Boresighter with leveler

Slip that in the end of your muzzles, from .22 to .50cal.

Both work pretty well, at least get you on the paper. From there, you'll need to fire a few rounds and walk your way in to zero. ;)

Slo