Bolt upgrade
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bolt upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2010, 04:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Bolt upgrade

I have a Stag Model 2T. The rifle is accurate and suits my needs. My one gripe is the bolt carrier and it's lack of satisfactory gas key staking. The notches are there, but are not up to par with the likes of DD, Noveske, LMT, etc.

So I'm looking for good BCG recommendations (proper gas key staking/mil spec) and good/inexpensive places to find them.

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2010, 05:22 AM   #2

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
I have a Stag Model 2T. The rifle is accurate and suits my needs. My one gripe is the bolt carrier and it's lack of satisfactory gas key staking. The notches are there, but are not up to par with the likes of DD, Noveske, LMT, etc.

So I'm looking for good BCG recommendations (proper gas key staking/mil spec) and good/inexpensive places to find them.
Is the key working loose? Not sure what problem you are looking to solve or are you just looking for a better quality BCG? Any gunsmith can stake the gas key for a fraction of the cost of a high end BCG.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Is the key working loose? Not sure what problem you are looking to solve or are you just looking for a better quality BCG? Any gunsmith can stake the gas key for a fraction of the cost of a high end BCG.
No, the key isn't working loose, (yet) I'm just looking for a better quality BCG.

I thought about taking it to a gunsmith, however I think I'd to keep this BCG as a spare/backup, maybe just keep the bolt in my MIAD grip and upgrade.

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Old 11-29-2010, 02:09 PM   #4

get the BCM ... bravo company BCG.

never look back.

they are on sale now.

love mine.

peabody

Old 11-30-2010, 05:02 AM   #5

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts

In addition to the BCM noted check out FailZero...

FailZero - AR-15 Products

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-05-2010, 03:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody View Post
get the BCM ... bravo company BCG.

never look back.

they are on sale now.

love mine.

peabody
RIght now it's between the BCM and the LMT enhanced BCG... decisions, decisions.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1147 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

I had the same dilemma and bought a Daniel Defense BCG for about $136 including shipping from gandrtactical.com but I see they're out of stock now. Excellent product (as is BCM) plus I have my original BCG as a spare.

Old 12-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default bcg

I understand buying a better BCG but why not get the original one staked too? Even as a spare you don't want it working loose.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by culdee View Post
I understand buying a better BCG but why not get the original one staked too? Even as a spare you don't want it working loose.
I hadn't thought about that, good call.

Here's a question about the BCGs: are they all interchangeable between AR15s or are there certain specs for each brand or individual rifle?

I heard one guy say that the BCG had to be measured with a Go/No Go gauge of some sort to make sure it fit, but I have never seen any spec options on BCGs nor have I heard that before. My reasoning is that if they are built to MilSpec it shouldn't matter...

Old 01-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6665 Times on 3546 Posts

its not a good idea to swap bolts around after they have been fired in the rifle for a while. its not that you cant it just leads to accelerated wear as the bolt and chamber of the new rifle make new wear patterns then repeat the proccess when swapped back. the carrier itself really doesnt matter what rifle its in but the bolt and chamber do.

your rifle isnt going to stop functioning or blow up or anything just your chamber lug area and bolt will wear out much sooner swapping it back and forth.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent