Bolt/Magazine problems

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bolt/Magazine problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bolt/Magazine problems

I've only had my freshly built AR to the range twice but each time I was having issues with rounds feeding into the chamber. Seems the bolt is just skimming over top the rounds. However, I can use the charging handle to rack them in. But then the case is ejected and the bolt skims over the next round resulting in that ever so disappointing "click". It go to the point where I could feel and hear a difference. On a few rare occasions it fed just fine. Should I be looking into a different mag? I'm just using a steel 20rd Bushmaster mag right now.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5740 Times on 2999 Posts
Likes Given: 380

Prolly an issue with the gas system not letting enough gas through to fully cycle the bolt or a too heavy recoil spring or buffer or combination of those.

If it doesnt lock the bolt back with an empty mag your not getting enough energy to get the bolt rearward. Doesnt sound like a magazine issue

Saw this happen once when someone crammed a rifle length spring into a carbine buffer tube.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Prolly an issue with the gas system not letting enough gas through to fully cycle the bolt or a too heavy recoil spring or buffer or combination of those.

If it doesnt lock the bolt back with an empty mag your not getting enough energy to get the bolt rearward. Doesnt sound like a magazine issue

Saw this happen once when someone crammed a rifle length spring into a carbine buffer tube.
Interesting. I did notice that the bolt seemed to be locking over the magazine after the last round instead of at the bolt catch behind the mag. I'll have to have this looked at.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2772 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 242

I am betting on short cycling. Gas pressure, volume, bolt carrier group weight, buffer weight and buffer spring must me in "harmony".

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-14-2013, 02:08 PM   #5

Alright, got a day off and decided to look into this issue. The suggestions about gas pressure/volume got me thinking. My DPMS bull barrel came with a gas block with a pic rail, it wouldn't fit under my handguard so I swapped it out. I noticed the set screws didn't line up with the divots on the barrel perfectly, but close...not close enough. When I pulled the handguard off I saw powder residue forward of the block, it was coming out from underneath it. I'm in the process of modifying the original to fit, just a little careful time with a grinder. We'll see if this works. If not, I'll look into the buffer and spring. Thanks for the help so far guys.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #6

Liked 1019 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Yeah sounds like you're on the right trail now. The ground down original should seal properly and solve the short stroking issue.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.