Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   bolt gas ring questions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/bolt-gas-ring-questions-19965/)

coolsteve 11-11-2009 01:06 AM

bolt gas ring questions

So i'm putting together a stash of spare parts for my AR and i have a few questions. How long do bolt gas rings normally last? Do they wear faster in a carbine length gun? Can anyone tell me about one piece gas rings? Seems like the three piece rings work well enough but..... Also, do buffer springs ever wear out? I've seen upgraded springs out there (chrome silicon,flat wire, extra power etc.) but dont know if thats something i should consider. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bigguns911 11-11-2009 02:57 AM

Gas rings are good for several thousand rounds. I would put together a set of rings, springs and pins. I have not seen a buffer spring wear out bit I have also only been doing the AR thing for a few years. I have seen gas ring that were worn out. This was on a 6.5" AR postal that I worked on. I have not seen this on any of the full size AR's. So I would say (with out much to back it up) that the gas rings would wear faster on a shorter barrel. As for the one piece gas ring thing I have not see this? I suppose what I am saying is get a lower and upper parts kit and keep it on hand if you are that concerned with parts wearing out.

jeepcreep927 11-11-2009 05:53 AM

Usually a buffer spring will last longer than the owner of the gun. "Extra power" buffer springs are used to control the cyclic rate of full autos and can used in conjunction with different weight buffers, are designed with a specific rate to compensate for a caliber change, and sometimes are used to attempt to address a feeding/ extracting problem that 99% of the time is an issue with the gas delivery system itself.

The one piece gas ring is a gimmic. I'd slap together what's on hand and shoot it first. That's just me though.

JonM 11-11-2009 02:14 PM

easier to carry an extra bolt ready to go than parts for the bolt. there are handgrips that are designed to carry such. easier to swap bolts than muck with small parts at range. fix the broken one later.

3 piece rings are just fine. dont mess with em they work.

buffer springs never seen one break or wear out. out of several hundred samples of abused M16-A2 in the armoury we had in the army never had to replace one. the quick fix kit i carried with me in the field i usually had bolts sight parts internal lower reciever springs pins firing pins. that sort of thing. usually it was someone losing em while cleaning or messing witht he weapon in the field. seldom if ever actual breakage of any part.

canebrake 11-11-2009 03:14 PM

Great info guys. Thanks!

coolsteve 11-11-2009 04:00 PM

Definitly thanks for the advice guys! Thats kinda what i was thinking about xp buffer springs and one piece rings. Seems like there are a lot of "upgrades'' out there that these guns have done just fine without for the last 50 years or so. Guess the old saying "if it aint broke dont fix it'' applies here. More money for ammo that way too!

hillbilly68 11-25-2009 11:33 PM

Yeah there is no end of "upgrades" that only serve to separate you from your hard earned money. Quality replacement parts that are in spec are all that are needed. Standard gas rings (single piece are gimmick as my friend Jeep stated) are all you need. Few thousand rounds, but just check them when you clean it. Pull the firing pin retaining pin, firing pin, and cam pin and turn the BCG up. If the bolt falls out on its own, replace the rings.