bolt catch question ...

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > bolt catch question ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default bolt catch question ...

my first ar ... everything pretty much works fine ... except the first round on fresh mag ... the bolt catch , catches the back of the ramp ... leaving the feeder lips resting on top of the cartridge , instead of behind ... i have to pull the charging handle back a bit to chamber a round ... what could it be ? is my buffer tube too short? spring too bulky? i've tried this with two buffer and spring configurations ... same deal ... i must explain too , that it's not the gas tube ... if i cycle with the charging handle on an empty mag ... same deal ... the bolt just will not slide back enough to catch on the lips ... not even with help from a finger ...

Last edited by thejinxmeister; 02-23-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: hindsight ... avoiding annoying questions ...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2562 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1287

I would like to know a couple of things. Is this a weapon built by a manufacturer or is it a parts gun built from multiple parts? I have some ideas of what your problem is. Secondly if you could forward us some digital pictures of it doing whatever. It is sometimes hard to diagnose a problem unless you can see the rifle. Including take your upper off of your lower and get a shot with the hammer forward and then one with it cocked. I will PM you also.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #3

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

sounds like it doesn't like the magazine(s)

is the mag fully loaded, if not try backing down one (leaving one out).

but i'd be willing to bet it's your mag(s)

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 02-23-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Jinx,

The normal mil spec CAR (Collapsible Stock) Buffer Spring has 37 coils just for your information. I for sure would take a look at the spring since you advised it had 39-40. Your bolt and carrier are only about 1/2 inch to be in the position where the face of the Locking Lugs on the Bolt are behind the Bolt Catch where it should be. I would try that first.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Usebothands,

Just to bring you up to speed on my last post. Jinx has a problem with the bolt not going back far enough to come back and strip the first round out of the magazine. In fact not even behind the Bolt Catch and far enough back for the bolt catch to actually stop the bolt from going back forward. His spring has at least 39+ coils on it and the guy that sold him the parts for the rifle grabbed a part here and there to get him a kit together. We have trouble shot the Buffer, checked the Extension (Buffer Tube) Disconnector Spring and others. Bottom line, if the replacing the spring doesn't work and allow the carrier to go far enough back he has a tolerance problem in the fire control area. It was a lower parts kit and some of the companies have been doing a pretty lousy job in that area as of late in the tolerance and quality area. In fact two that I have seen from one company the trigger tail housing was even off to one side and way out of square. The other one we solved here on the forum was the trigger and disconnector. He replaced the trigger and was good to go. Anyway that is where it stands at this time. Check the spring issue. Then the Hammer and Trigger Assembly. Trigger First. And if that fails dimensions on the carrier. Jump in! More thoughts are better than that of two.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:30 PM   #6

after a bit of tinkering , i've decided it is my buffer tube ... i tried a different spring (37 coils) ... still no go ... then i removed the stock and compared the length of the tube to an old stripped out commercial tube which wasn't only longer , but as much so as my bolt needed to come back ... so ... then , i tried loading just the buffer and bolt carrier (no spring) into the buffer tube and it stopped just 1 cm shy of the bolt catch ... culprit discovered ... the ATI "mil-spec" buffer tube ! ... thanx 03 for setting me on the right track ...

Old 02-23-2011, 11:37 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Jinx,

You are very welcome! And that is why most of us are here on the FTF. To learn, be of assistance when we can and enjoy the H--l out of the Forum!
Looking forward to seeing your future entries.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I read this earlier and have been thinking about it before replying. Without knowing the specifics, it's difficult to just through out a solution. I want to thank Sniper03 for taking the time to delve further into the issue and get some relevant info. 'respect'

My thoughts led me to a couple of possible solutions, one of which was a complete new stock, buffer and tube. An organized set that you knew came as a set and wasn't a mystery grouping.

You see, Sniper was on to something with his questions. The recoil system of the AR isn't that complicated. Gas is trapped, harnessed to compress first the BCG, then it's spring, and when the spring starts back the other way, the BCG grabs a new round and physics' takes over.

The other option, in my mind, was that your stock was misaligned altogether. Having the wrong type of spring is definitely not going to help.

Good luck and keep us informed!

JD

Old 02-24-2011, 12:19 AM   #9

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Usebothands,

Just to bring you up to speed on my last post. Jinx has a problem with the bolt not going back far enough to come back and strip the first round out of the magazine. In fact not even behind the Bolt Catch and far enough back for the bolt catch to actually stop the bolt from going back forward. His spring has at least 39+ coils on it and the guy that sold him the parts for the rifle grabbed a part here and there to get him a kit together. We have trouble shot the Buffer, checked the Extension (Buffer Tube) Disconnector Spring and others. Bottom line, if the replacing the spring doesn't work and allow the carrier to go far enough back he has a tolerance problem in the fire control area. It was a lower parts kit and some of the companies have been doing a pretty lousy job in that area as of late in the tolerance and quality area. In fact two that I have seen from one company the trigger tail housing was even off to one side and way out of square. The other one we solved here on the forum was the trigger and disconnector. He replaced the trigger and was good to go. Anyway that is where it stands at this time. Check the spring issue. Then the Hammer and Trigger Assembly. Trigger First. And if that fails dimensions on the carrier. Jump in! More thoughts are better than that of two.

thanks for setting me straight. i remember reading about it, IIRC, thanks for clearing that up.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 03-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #10

got my new buffer tube in the mail today ...too short , just like the ati mil spec buffer tube ... come on people ... i,m not retarded ... i know it's none of the regular problems ...
is my problem trying to pair a milspec buffer tube and a commercial buffer ?