Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bolt carriers , Which one would you choose ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1116 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Hell no I wouldn't sell it. Good quality Bcg's are hard to get right now without paying a premium

Old 08-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #32

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 931

Quote:
Originally Posted by okdonk View Post
No problem at all Q. I really can't tell the difference between them at all. They all look the same to me except the logos.
I wish the other bolts have "MP" marking like on Noveske's.

Ask you guys a question, should i sell the unmarked DD or the DD? The unmarked is brand new while the DD has shot around 2K rounds.
Yeah, a tough decision. If you're definitely selling I'd keep the marked DD since it does have the DD logo and you've broken it in. On the other hand, how do you prove to a buyer that the unmarked DD is in fact DD. It's obvious it is a quality BCG but buyers might not pay full price for it like they would for the other (since DD is so hard to find now).

I'd keep it since you know it's DD, especially knowing you and that it's likely another build is in your future!

The BCM is my only bolt that is marked HP MP. So even your marked DD doesn't have that?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 08-18-2012 at 06:40 PM.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 202 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Nope.. only Noveske and Spike's have the MP on the Bolt. The Spike's has "ST MP".
Well... maybe you guys right, should just keep it for another build. Oh well.. i will be always broke

Old 08-18-2012, 09:25 PM   #34

I always wonder when they have MP but not HP... just skeptical I guess, though more so about Spikes than the others.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:49 AM   #35

I like to see this. And it is laser etched mpi /hpt but only mp stamped on the bolt

Old 08-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #36

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Dangit! My LMT bolt carrier, while very nicely made and properly staked....is an AR or "standard" version. It has more metal removed. I wonder why, in an $1800 gun, they would not just have an M-16 type BCG? Do you think perhaps because it is a CA Compliant model and they are playing it safe? I hope not because the DOJ or BATF has written that a full auto BCG is perfectly legal in CA as in and of itself cannot convert a weapon to full auto.

If I order one...say from BCM.....will I really notice a difference in felt recoil and muzzle rise?

Old 08-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #37

Liked 209 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumbles View Post
Dangit! My LMT bolt carrier, while very nicely made and properly staked....is an AR or "standard" version. It has more metal removed. I wonder why, in an $1800 gun, they would not just have an M-16 type BCG? Do you think perhaps because it is a CA Compliant model and they are playing it safe? I hope not because the DOJ or BATF has written that a full auto BCG is perfectly legal in CA as in and of itself cannot convert a weapon to full auto.

If I order one...say from BCM.....will I really notice a difference in felt recoil and muzzle rise?
I don't know specifically about the bolt carriers, but most of us know Cali has stricter regs than federal when it comes to firearms. They consider the second amendment a "suggestion". I don't think you will notice a difference in recoil, just a loss of liberty. M16 bolt carriers have a slightly less ratio of cycling problems due to the minor weight increase and more contact surface to slow down the BCG. The majority of AR piston firearms will have a M16 carrier to reduce carrier tilt.
Your LMT shouldn't have any significant problems in any of the above issues as it is a teir 1 gun, and highly reliable. Their QC is better than most.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #38

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Your LMT shouldn't have any significant problems in any of the above issues ......
Thanks. Yeah I love this rifle. It has never once failed to extract on the 3 different brands I have fed it. I could always just get the enhanced bolt ass'y which supports the cartridge fully for enhanced extraction or whatever they claim....and leave the carrier as is.

Also, hardly any ranges around me allow rapid fire anyway...... 1 shot per second. Sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
I don't think you will notice a difference in recoil, just a loss of liberty.
What did you mean by losing liberty? Do you think putting an M16 bolt in could get me thrown in the hoosegow?

Old 08-22-2012, 12:23 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumbles View Post
Thanks. Yeah I love this rifle. It has never once failed to extract on the 3 different brands I have fed it. I could always just get the enhanced bolt ass'y which supports the cartridge fully for enhanced extraction or whatever they claim....and leave the carrier as is.

Also, hardly any ranges around me allow rapid fire anyway...... 1 shot per second. Sucks.

What did you mean by losing liberty? Do you think putting an M16 bolt in could get me thrown in the hoosegow?
If it ain't broke don't fix it. When something breaks then fix it

Old 08-22-2012, 12:41 AM   #40

I agree with fsted2a that you probably won't notice any difference with the AR-15 style bolt carrier LMT supplied in your rifle. I think it weighs 0.5 oz. less than the M16 version which is much less than the 0.9 oz. difference between a standard weight carbine buffer and H buffer. Or H and H2. So you can see upgrading the buffer can add more weight.

If you ever think about buying a spare BCG, you can specify the AR-15 or M16 version LMTs at BCM. They tend to be $10 less than the BCM model, too.

I do agree it would annoy me that LMT didn't supply the full carrier in a top of the line rifle. LMT is a great manufacturer, right up there with the best but they do seem to be slightly more inconsistent.

______