bolt carrier stuck - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > bolt carrier stuck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbertjm View Post
bushmaster xm-15 5.56 caliber, less than five hundred round through weapon, bolt carrier is stuck inside barrel extention. mags are good, weapon is clean, has anybody ever heard of this crap. would like explanation. used factory loaded ammo, mainly Remington, but have used wolf, no reloads at all. noticed the finish inside where the carrier rides along directly behind the barrel extention is flaking off, looks like a cheap paint job on a car. weapon is still under warranty. going to send off monday. anybody have any ideas, also, weapon would not chamber a round but would eject a round. i would have to pull bolt back to chamber a round, used bushmaster mags, and a brand called C products. both brand new,

thank you

joe
Hello Joe,

It sure sounds like you've got an empty case stuck in the chamber.

I'm pretty sure the use of steel case ammo will void your warranty according to your Bushy manual that came with the rifle. Second, there is a lot of credibility to the argument that using brass cases after steel laquered rounds will result in FTF FTE. This doesn't add up with your description though, being it is usually a "sticking case" issue (i.e. chamber) rather than the barrel extension?

The one sure way to verify this is to examine your brass casings after ejection. If you see the laquer residue on the case, you can bet that laquer residue is baked on and still in the chamber and is causing the cases to stick. Brass expands to the I.D. of the chamber wall-steel cases don't.

My Bushy M4 runs the Wolf ammo pretty well, because I put an "O" ring kit in the extractor assembly. In my case the quality of the rifle is not an issue.

Please tell us what Bushmaster says about the problem.

regards

Last edited by crockett007; 02-22-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:33 AM   #12

thanks for everybody concern, appreciate the replies and ideas of everybody. i have recieved an email from bushmaster tech support, he says to do what everybody has told me so far, well what do you know, everything i have been told to do has not worked. the darn thing is just plain stuck. i have told the tech support the ammo i use and what has happened. the reply i got is as follows:

Hello,

Before shipping the rifle or barreled upper to us you need to make sure there is not a live round stuck in the chamber. To clear than type of a jam as noted in the Operators Manual pull back on the charging handle while tapping the butt of the rifle on the ground with the stock collapsed or on a bench with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. The inertia of that will usually clear the rifle.

If that does not work then place a cleaning rod in the bore without a tip, mark the depth it goes into the barrel then check it from the outside to see if it has gone all the way down to the bolt to check for a live round.

If it does not have a live round then you can ship it to us.

Subject: RMA returns

We issue RMA ( Return Merchandize Authorization ) return numbers for returning items for repair, upgrade or exchange. You can send me your mailing information including telephone number, the serial number of the rifle and the nature of the service needed by e-mail or you can call the Customer Service people or me at 1-800-883-6229 for the RMA number. If returning an upper assembly we would need to know what barrel and receiver it has. If returning a lower we would need the serial number and type of stock installed.

Please include a note inside the package for the reason of return with the RMA number and your contact information. Also write the RMA number on the outside of the package near the label.

It is best to call for the RMA number if you need to pay for anything with credit card as unlike our web site the e-mail server does not have an encrypted program to secure credit card information. We are also now required to collect your State Sales Tax if applicable.

Items should be sent to; Bushmaster, 999 Roosevelt Trail, Windham, ME 04062.

Please refer to and have ready the RMA number if checking the status of your return.

so what do you all think? seems pretty simple to me.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:49 AM   #13

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

if it is stuck that bad...then yes...if i couldnt get the empty case out of the chamber i would send it back to bushmaster...just make sure that round isnt live when you ship it back...you said it wasnt...just double or tipple check...and if you ship it back...i'd just ship the upper...you want have to have a FFL holder to charge you for the transfer...im sure you knew this though...good luck with everything...and i hope ya get your upper back ASAP...keep us posted

Old 02-24-2010, 05:03 AM   #14

if sending a rifle back to factory for repair, it is not necessary for a ffl to ship it for you or do a transfer. also, bush said for me to ship it all together, not separated. this is information from the local ffl dealers he where i live.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:01 AM   #15

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

FWIW, my bushy upper absolutely will not shoot Wolf. One round of Wolf = one stuck case. Every time, guaranteed. I can shoot anything else, including Brown Bear, just fine.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #16

Never happened to me, but I have read of others who had a primer seperate from the case and become wedged between the bolt carrier group and the upper receiver. From what they said it was a major pain to remove.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:13 AM   #17

Liked 4791 Times on 2317 Posts
Likes Given: 1479

Default Seen it

Quote:
bushmaster xm-15 5.56 caliber, less than five hundred round through weapon, bolt carrier is stuck inside barrel extention. mags are good, weapon is clean, has anybody ever heard of this crap. would like explanation. used factory loaded ammo, mainly Remington, but have used wolf, no reloads at all. noticed the finish inside where the carrier rides along directly behind the barrel extention is flaking off, looks like a cheap paint job on a car. weapon is still under warranty. going to send off monday. anybody have any ideas, also, weapon would not chamber a round but would eject a round. i would have to pull bolt back to chamber a round, used bushmaster mags, and a brand called C products. both brand new,

thank you

joe
Saw this happen to buddy's Colt. Live round in chamber, would not fire, and could not pull the charging handle to the rear. Eventually freed it by pointing the rifle straight up, pulling the charging handle and slamming the butt stock down on the tailgate of my truck. Took about 6 REALLY hard whacks.

We were using steel cased Wolf in both our AR's, mines a Bushmaster. I've since quit using it due to the same FTF problem you described. I can chamber it manually and fire the first round, my BM fires, ejects the empty, but fails to strip the next round out of the mag. Repeated the problem with 9 different magazines. Next trip I took PMC Bronze with no malfunctions at all in the same 9 magazines?

I've got 500 rounds of Wolf Steel case .223 if anyones interested because my gun don't like it.

Tackleberry1

Old 03-02-2010, 04:03 AM   #18

its just so odd that i've fired plenty of wolf rounds and nothing until this little incident. i will be getting back to bush this week sometime and will let everybody know my experience with them. they seem to be easy so far, we'll see the end of the week.

thanks again everybody

Old 03-02-2010, 08:31 AM   #19

Liked 4791 Times on 2317 Posts
Likes Given: 1479

Default Careful with your but stock

Quote:
its just so odd that i've fired plenty of wolf rounds and nothing until this little incident. i will be getting back to bush this week sometime and will let everybody know my experience with them. they seem to be easy so far, we'll see the end of the week.

thanks again everybody
The Colt I described the "slam" method with had the old A2 solid butstock and we had to slam it hard enought to strip and adjustable telestock. If you've got the adjustable make sure it's fully closed in the short position so you don't strip it when you slam that sucker down.

And let me know if it works you brother. Good Luck

Old 03-03-2010, 02:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
The Colt I described the "slam" method with had the old A2 solid butstock and we had to slam it hard enought to strip and adjustable telestock. If you've got the adjustable make sure it's fully closed in the short position so you don't strip it when you slam that sucker down.

And let me know if it works you brother. Good Luck
did exactly what you said, i slammed that sucker as hard as i could and it still wouldn't budge. i was afraid of doing something catastrophic and damaging something i hit it so hard. better let the pro's deal with it. lol

joe