Bolt Carrier Group Discussion
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bolt Carrier Group Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Default Bolt Carrier Group Discussion

I have a Bushmaster AR-15, I have it in the A2 configuration, part
sentimentality and part it fits me well like in that configuration, that or a few
Gunny’s beat me into submission. Mostly, I shoot service rifle matches with
it as well as some coyote control; and it is one of my SHTF rifles, should that
need arise. I have been wearing out gas rings between 3,000 and 4,000
rounds, and that seems more frequent than it should be. Any thoughts on
that would be appreciated. I was thinking of an upgrade to a new bolt
carrier group (BCG). Reliability and longevity are my key aspects that I
want in a replacement/upgrade. Several that have come to the top of the
list are:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/bolt-parts/bolt-carrier-parts/bolt-carriers/jpbc-2a-full-mass-bolt-carrier-sku452000130-45574-102057.aspx

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XDADBCG10016&name=AR15%2fM16+.22 3%2f5.56+Bolt+Carrier+Group&groupid=723

I am not married to any of the options above, they are just what I have
found researching the internet and those that had good reviews. Price is
always a consideration, but it is not a primary. Reliability and longevity are
primary. Price is flexible as long as the value is there.

All ideas and comments are welcome.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 258 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 36

1) I love BCM's BCG. They're a little spendy, but rock solid. A year ago they were easy enough to land for like $150. Most of my personal guns have them.

2) You can also get a pretty great M16 BCG from PSA for $100-150. It's probably right near BCM quality, and this is where you're likely to get the most bang for your buck. PSA's stuff is constantly offered at blowout prices, it's just a matter of waiting a handful of days until a product/package that suits you gets listed on the cheap. Then pounce!

3) The only premium finish BCGs I like are cerakoted M16s. These can be found for $160-230. In my experience they cycle smoothly and are easy to clean. My preference are those produced by STS Arms. I think NiB is probably perfectly great and all, but I dislike both the blingy look and the often squeaky cycling sound. Personal preference.

There are others that are good. I also have a DD, which is fine. But the above three options are what I tend to count on and where I think you'll get the most value.

Last edited by sweeper22; 09-01-2013 at 04:34 PM.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 258 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 36

BUY THIS.

Don't hesitate. Don't look back. You win.

End of story.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

bcm bcg are the best ones out there bar none.

but i dont think the bcg is the issue. bushmasters are normally way over gassed and this leads to greater wear on the internals. only fix for that is a different barrel.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 09-01-2013, 07:39 PM   #5

Liked 1026 Times on 722 Posts
Likes Given: 1023

I also like the standard BCM unit. Good price for a great BCG. Sweeper's link to the PSA BCG plus 5 PMAGs is amazing, too. As Jon said a new BCG probably won't extend ring life much. 3,000-4,000 isn't horrible for ring life considering how cheap they are. Let us know which way you go and how it works out!

ETA:

By A2, does that include the A2 rifle stock? If carbine, you might try an H buffer or even H2.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 09-01-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
1) I love BCM's BCG. They're a little spendy, but rock solid. A year ago they were easy enough to land for like $150. Most of my personal guns have them.

2) You can also get a pretty great M16 BCG from PSA for $100-150. It's probably right near BCM quality, and this is where you're likely to get the most bang for your buck. PSA's stuff is constantly offered at blowout prices, it's just a matter of waiting a handful of days until a product/package that suits you gets listed on the cheap. Then pounce!

3) The only premium finish BCGs I like are cerakoted M16s. These can be found for $160-230. In my experience they cycle smoothly and are easy to clean. My preference are those produced by STS Arms. I think NiB is probably perfectly great and all, but I dislike both the blingy look and the often squeaky cycling sound. Personal preference.

There are others that are good. I also have a DD, which is fine. But the above three options are what I tend to count on and where I think you'll get the most value.
Great information! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
but i dont think the bcg is the issue. bushmasters are normally way over gassed and this leads to greater wear on the internals. only fix for that is a different barrel.
Had not hear this before. Is it that the port is drilled too large in the barrel?
What size should it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
I also like the standard BCM unit. Good price for a great BCG. Sweeper's link to the PSA BCG plus 5 PMAGs is amazing, too. As Jon said a new BCG probably won't extend ring life much. 3,000-4,000 isn't horrible for ring life considering how cheap they are. Let us know which way you go and how it works out!

ETA:

By A2, does that include the A2 rifle stock? If carbine, you might try an H buffer or even H2.
Full solid A2 stock, personal choice not to fond of the adjustable, and the
A2 fits me well.

But my younger son shoots a carbine AR, also a Bushmaster, tell me about
the H and H2 buffers.

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Old 09-01-2013, 11:06 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

My son and his carbine from today at the range. He had a friend sleep over
last night they "camped out" in the deer camp trailer, and after breakfast we
headed to the ISRA range in Bonfield, IL.

img_0748-small.jpg  

Old 09-02-2013, 02:43 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
Had not hear this before. Is it that the port is drilled too large in the barrel?
What size should it be?

yup. depends on barrel length and ammunition that the barrel maker expects to be run through it or the end assembler requests.

i believe colt uses .063 for a carbine length 16"

makers like dpms, bushmaster, s&w market their guns and dont like to have returns so they tend to over size so they work with all civvy shelf ammo from 52grain to 75grain.

only drawback as you have discovered is its a little hard on the gas rings and rear portion of the bolt and gas key. most of these types of guns never see a round count in the thousands.

gas rings are cheap and 3000 is a typical count on overgassed guns to replace the rings. 3000 is also the typical point at which full auto m4 need to be changed. shorter gas tubes hotter gasses higher pressures more ring wear.

being over gassed isnt really bad since it tends to be more reliable if the buffer weight is selected for it. thats why a lot of makers do it. just need to keep an eye on the rings

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
... my younger son shoots a carbine AR, also a Bushmaster, tell me about the H and H2 buffers.
Normally the H2 functions well with 16" and carbine gas, especially an overgassed BM or DPMS. But definitely hang on to the standard buffer which may be needed for weaker Tula. If you have to drop to an H (because of short stroking) you can swap a tungsten weight for a steel one in the H2 and standard and end up with two H buffers.

There's a current thread going now with more info.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #10

Also a fresh action spring (or heavier aftermarket spring) might soften the cycling of the A2 a bit.

______