Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Bolt Carrier Group (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/bolt-carrier-group-62932/)

jasonlarue1013 04-20-2012 05:01 PM

Bolt Carrier Group

Do you need to match up manufacturer of bolt carrier group to upper/barrel manufacturer?

Can buy BCM right now but can't find DD to match my upper

Quentin 04-20-2012 05:14 PM

You don't need to as long as they are equal in quality which BCM and DD are. Of course you'll have two different logos! :D

Hey this might not be all bad, next time get a BCM upper and a DD BCG and do the ol' switcheroo! Or keep the BCM BCG as a spare (which you know will morph into another rifle).

AgentTikki 04-20-2012 05:20 PM

HONESTLY, It doesn't really matter. There MIGHT be headspacing issue, but there is only a small small chance. I'd fee fine with a BCM bcg in any of my ARs.

AgentTikki 04-20-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 776916)
Hey this might not be all bad, next time get a BCM upper and a DD BCG and do the ol' switcheroo! Or keep the BCM BCG as a spare (which you know will morph into another rifle).

+1, spare parts always seem to find their way into a completely new rifle....
dunno how it works...just does....:rolleyes:

Changing out the bolt carrier is np, but once you get a couple thousand rounds in your ar, I'd keep that bolt in the same ar, and just swap out the carrier so you can make the DD and BCM logos match to your rifle....should you care.

BenLuby 04-20-2012 05:24 PM

I have various parts mixed and matched to get what I wanted. I don't really care about the logo's, as long as it goes bang (in the good way) when I squeeze the trigger.

Quentin 04-20-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki (Post 776921)
+1, spare parts always seem to find their way into a completely new rifle....
dunno how it works...just does....:rolleyes:

Changing out the bolt carrier is np, but once you get a couple thousand rounds in your ar, I'd keep that bolt in the same ar, and just swap out the carrier so you can make the DD and BCM logos match to your rifle....should you care.

True, you'd rather not swap out a BCG after it's "mated" to the barrel/receiver for thousands of rounds. But since it's a good idea to have a spare why not get the BCM now. You need something. If you stumble across a DD before too many rounds I'd swap, if not, no big deal.

I went through this with my first upper, an ArmaLite. I bought a DD BCG as a spare but then thought why not use the better component. I had about 500+ rounds that way until I saw a deal on a DD upper minus BCG. So DD went in DD and ArmaLite back in ArmaLite. It all worked fine.

Funny how you stumble across things so I'd get the BCM BCG for now since you know you'll find a use for it if you replace it. And more on stumbling across things, a couple years later I found an ArmaLite stripped lower on sale at my LGS then bought an ArmaLite LPK at DSG Arms and now have almost a factory build. :o

jasonlarue1013 04-20-2012 05:49 PM

Thanks y'all. I know I'm already planning a rifle for spare parts I'm gonna come up with lmao!!!