Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Blackthorne Products? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/blackthorne-products-71250/)

danf_fl 08-28-2012 12:04 AM

Blackthorne Products?

Has anyone had any dealings with them?

I am looking for opinions. Thanks.

mountainman13 08-28-2012 01:17 AM

Never heard of them. Not that that means much.

AgentTikki 08-28-2012 03:26 AM

Yes. Don't waste ur money with blackthorne.

Quentin 08-28-2012 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgentTikki (Post 918381)
Yes. Don't waste ur money with blackthorne.

Ditto. Blackthorne, Hesse, Vulcan are all names used by a Tier 10 maker. :eek:

AgentTikki 08-28-2012 07:12 AM

I would consider the three that Quentin named, as unsafe. There's a reason why they are soo cheap......

fsted2a 08-30-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 918444)
Ditto. Blackthorne, Hesse, Vulcan are all names used by a Tier 10 maker. :eek:

Ditto on what Quentin said, although I wish he would go back to his old avatar :D

billt 08-30-2012 12:57 PM

I know Blackthorne / Vulcan / Hesse are continually regurgitated as being the "certified junk" of the AR-15 world. But does anyone have links, photographs, or articles written by prominent, knowledgeable people attesting to this "fact"? It's just there is so much condemnation of parts and companies in the AR-15 world, which is almost always based on hearsay, opinion and nothing more, it would be nice to actually hear something concrete, that's backed up with some facts, for a refreshing change once and a while.

9 out of 10 times if a product is that bad, (and I'm not saying these aren't), it is usually quite easy to prove. But as always seems to be the case with these rifles, most everything that is spoken is based on opinion. Usually other peoples opinions. Sometimes it's nice to have a little more. For the record, in the last edition of Shotgun News they had an in depth article of a .308 AR build that was based on a Blackthorne receiver. There were no obligations to the company. I base that on being a Shotgun News subscriber for the last 30 years, and I've never seen an advertisement for either Blackthorne / Vulcan / Hesse.

fsted2a 08-30-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billt (Post 921260)
I know Blackthorne / Vulcan / Hesse are continually regurgitated as being the "certified junk" of the AR-15 world. But does anyone have links, photographs, or articles written by prominent, knowledgeable people attesting to this "fact"? It's just there is so much condemnation of parts and companies in the AR-15 world, which is almost always based on hearsay, opinion and nothing more, it would be nice to actually hear something concrete, that's backed up with some facts, for a refreshing change once and a while.

9 out of 10 times if a product is that bad, (and I'm not saying these aren't), it is usually quite easy to prove. But as always seems to be the case with these rifles, most everything that is spoken is based on opinion. Usually other peoples opinions. Sometimes it's nice to have a little more. For the record, in the last edition of Shotgun News they had an in depth article of a .308 AR build that was based on a Blackthorne receiver. There were no obligations to the company. I base that on being a Shotgun News subscriber for the last 30 years, and I've never seen an advertisement for either Blackthorne / Vulcan / Hesse.

I bought a vulcan lower, upper set a few years back in 2005. Caught it on sale for 80 bucks. Assembled the lower, and went to put a milspec mag in, and it made it about an inch, and wouldn't go any further. I tried working it up and down in the mag well, and ended up splitting the receiver in half. I torqued the barrel down on the upper to 25 ft lbs, and cracked the threaded part to the point the barrel wouldn't stay in. I am not saying that somewhere there isn't a Vulcan that works as advertised, but I don't have anything positive out of my personal experience with them. For now, I am staying with well known performers.

billt 08-30-2012 03:27 PM

That doesn't sound too good. You would think the broach would cut the magwell's all the same?

fsted2a 08-30-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billt (Post 921409)
That doesn't sound too good. You would think the broach would cut the magwell's all the same?

Not sure what the process is on polymer manufacturing. I thought they just had a mold they used.