Blackbeard's RRA Range Report!
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Blackbeard's RRA Range Report!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 04:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Blackbeard's RRA Range Report!

Ok, Folks!

I finally got a few pics of my new rig. Here are a few Before & After pics:

Before Pics - Right out of the Case:

(NOTE: Because of the Pic Limitations, the other 4 Before-Pics, are on the next Post.)

After Pics - Having added my Temp Bi-Pod (I'm ordering a CAA Bi-Pod next month, and using the Caldwell until it arrives...), Redfield Scope, Magpul AFG, and CAA Grip:

I took it out to the Range for the first time today, and WOW..... that is one impressive piece of Hardware to shoot!

I set up my Target at 50yds, did a Bore Sight to narrow down my Scope Sighting, and after a few shots, I was locked in. I was shooting Shoot-N-C Targets, and after each Mag, I'd use the supplied Stickies to set up a New Target, and fill in the old holes. All 100 Rounds of American Eagle 55gr FMJ I fired, were flawless. Not a single FTE/FTL in the bunch. I had 5 PMAG 20-Round Mags, and they are the best Mags I've used in any of my Rifles/Carbines. Absolutely excellent Mags!

I have the RRA 2-Stage Trigger, and that thing is awesome. It's got a crisp and precise feel, and pulls smooth as butter.

I was actually surprised, at how little Recoil there was. I have two 9mm Carbines, and while they have very little Recoil themselves, the AR has even less. It was just an all around Great Rifle to shoot.

I don't know why..... but I REALLY liked the sound it made when fired! A loud and aggressive..... BOOM! The first Round fired, definitely got my attention, right off of the bat.

I was fortunate enough today, that I had the Bay to myself, and was able to go back and forth out to the Target as I pleased.

Just as I got home this afternoon, the Mail-Lady was dropping off my Explorer Digital Rifle Case for my AR. Good timing!

All-In-All, it was a Great Range Day, with a Great Rifle!

Thanks for making a FUNtastic Rifle, RRA!

Cheers!

BB

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Last edited by Blackbeard1718; 09-23-2011 at 04:18 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-23-2011, 04:16 AM   #2

Default Blackbeard's RRA Range Report Part II - Before Pics Cont.

Here are the rest of the Before Pics:

Cheers!

BB

Old 09-23-2011, 12:51 PM   #3

Nice, your after pic is hot Anyways glad you like it, im getting my stripped lower this weekend and starting my own

Old 09-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nice!!! How was the accuracy? Also, how heavy is that rifle? I keep hearing how heavy RRA's are compared to other brands.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #5

Congrats on the new member to your collection.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Nice!!! How was the accuracy? Also, how heavy is that rifle? I keep hearing how heavy RRA's are compared to other brands.
SD!

Accuracy is incredible! Yes, I have a Scope on it, which is hard to miss a target, however, my POA was always my POI, every time. I was impressed! I haven't shot it with Iron Sights yet, so I can't say how good those are, or if they were already Dialed-In, Out-Of-The-Box.

(Which reminds me, after seeing my After Pic..... I need to lower my Front Sight, when I'm done with this post. I had some Rail Guards on there, with a Snap Lock, but the Recoil of the Rifle jarred them open and loose. I took them off, but forgot to lower the Front Sight. I'll add the Magpuls I bought, sometime before my Range Trip next Thursday.)

The weight is advertised as 8 Lbs. I used to carry around an old Bolt Action Springfield, that was 9 Lbs. After I added my Redfield & Bi-Pod on it, the AR now feels like the Springfield did... around 9 Lbs. I'm not concerned about the weight, as it's a Bench Shooter anyhow.

I did match it up against my M&P 15-22, and while they're the same size and function, the 15-22 is lighter, due to the Polymer Lower. The RRA is definitely all metal. I was just curious if they were about the same size and build.

Now, comparatively..... the RRA weighed the same as a local shops Colt Ar, and CMMG AR, that had the Quad-Rails, and the Iron Sights as well. Same setup as mine was, right out of the Case. I couldn't tell any difference in the three..... except for the weight..... of the PRICE TAG! The Colt was much HEAVIER, in that category!

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the RRA. I look at my Guns, the same way I do my Cars, with regards to Fit & Finish. The RRA, IMHO, was put together better. I'd rate the three as:

CMMG: Good
Colt: Better
RRA: Best

Just my opinion, since I tend to look at details a bit more than some folks. I've got a Hi-Point 995TS 9mm Carbine that's built like a Tank, and only cost me about $250 New. It fires just as good if not better, than my Beretta CX4 9mm Carbine, which cost me about $500 more. So, it's not always about how, "GOOD LOOKING", a Gun is, it all boils down to, "CAN IT SHOOT"? So far..... I've picked a group of Winners!

BTW..... I see you fly Cobras! THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! I was an Airdale too, but on the Navy side, as a Supply-Guy!

Cheers!

BB

Old 09-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks Blackbeard, but you're killing me with the details. I'm waiting for my RRA upper to arrive with anxious anticipation. My setup will be pretty much like yours.

I carried an XM177 Colt CAR-15 with me in my Cobra when I was in Vietnam and it was an incredible little rifle that never failed me. I've avoided wanting to get into the AR scene for a long time, but have recently come down with a serious case of BRD that I just can't seem to kick. My wife is a shooter too and has her own collection of guns, but doesn't quite understand the whole AR thing yet. She will though when she gets to shoot it. Happy shooting

Last edited by Snakedriver; 09-23-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #8

Liked 1302 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 626

That's a good looking stick there,BB

What,No pics of the targets!!

Once you get used to that NM trigger,you'll like it even more.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1159 Times on 814 Posts
Likes Given: 1181

Nice to hear when a new AR turns out right!

Hey, BB, I keep running in to you all over the net!
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 09-24-2011, 01:43 AM   #10

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Looks good. How does that angled fore grip feel? I have seen them but wasn't sure just because I couldn't put one on a rifle and test it out.