Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Black dawn or Black rain ordnance rifles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

You can't go wrong with Knights, LaRue, Noveske, and LMT. DD and BCM should be your mid range bread an butter. Spike's and PSA on the lower end.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:15 AM   #22
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1273 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Fluting does help cool a barrel by increasing its surface area, but it also increases the strength of a barrel that is used in harsh conditions. Being dropped or knocked on a hard surface can bend a normal barrel and the fluting helps the tensile strength to resist bending. This is not as much a cosmetic effect as it is a real world reinforcement of a barrel intended to he used roughly.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 05-13-2012, 03:25 AM   #23

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

How far would you have to drop a barrel or how hard would one have to be knocked to bend?

I understand the added ragitity and cooling but as a way to strengthen a barrel so it resists damage? Has anyone ever seen a bent barrel caused by being dropped or knocked around?

Clear this up for me JonM.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:42 AM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5129 Times on 2671 Posts
Likes Given: 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
How far would you have to drop a barrel or how hard would one have to be knocked to bend?

I understand the added ragitity and cooling but as a way to strengthen a barrel so it resists damage? Has anyone ever seen a bent barrel caused by being dropped or knocked around?

Clear this up for me JonM.
ive seen soldiers bend 20" a2 semi heavy barrels just monkeying around. if you drop a rifle off the top of a hmmvw or 5 ton or similar vehicle or fall on top of it its gonna bend. but i dont think a fluted barrel would have helped. fluting done right dampens the effect of vibration possibly aiding accuracy but i dont think its enough to notice in anything but benchrest and those guys prefer super thick barrels anyway. if the bend isnt bad there is a technique in the m16 armorers manual to hand straighten them in the field.

bends happen a LOT in hand to hand combat. especially in ww1 and some in ww2. doesnt happen as much as times have progressed.

personally i think its a non-issue since life or death no ammo left and your afixing a bayonet... bending a barrel is the least of your concerns. the rest is just clumsiness or neglect or negligence and easily avoided

the main purpose is heat reduction by added surface area. a fluted barrel has a higher sustained rounds per minute than a similar non-fluted. i think colt rates their m4 carbine at 12-19 rpm for sustained fire. a shorter barrel also has a higher sustained fire rate than a longer identical barrel because more powder is burnt outside the barrel than inside but as you know it also decreases velocity.

my personal preference for a rifle im carrying is lightweight barrels. im no longer active duty military and i doubt im ever going to be in a frontline type fight having to maintain a higher rate of fire in a prolonged battle.

my savage model 10 308 is fluted and i can sustain a 12ish rpm and it doesnt get too hot due to the fluting. of course external air temp has a lot to do with how fast you can shoot without extreme overheat

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 05-13-2012 at 03:56 AM.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:35 AM   #25

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Sounds like another plus on the side of the 14.5" M4. I have never heard of a bent barrel and I wasn't exactly in an inactive place.

Last edited by MikeJK; 05-13-2012 at 04:37 AM.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #26

Sure the added surface area from fluting helps a little, but just a little. The removal of mass is a much bigger factor in cooling rates. Remove 20% of the mass and it'll cool down (and conversely heat up) approximately 20% faster. I think the fact that it makes the rifle lighter and adds a bit of rigidity makes it a win win. Tho is does cost a biy. If I were making a bench gun, I'd prolly forgo it and keep all the added mass tho.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #27

Default black rain

i own 6 black rain guns and have seen Black dawn at gun shows.
Black rain are much better quality but a lot more money,

Old 08-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #28

Pics............awwwwwww nevermind.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #29

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Theres an article on black rain in the next issue of swat magazine that I just got. Im not to far from where black rains are made and gun shops around here have alot of them. Im looking to get one soon.