Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bittet upper question??

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Copeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 223
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Default Bittet upper question??

My question of the day. I have a spikes tactical lower an now im in need of a upper but I was wondering about the bittet uppers an how they fit on standard ar15 lowers. I have no experience with bittets upper/lowers so is it even worth putting a bittet upper on a standard lower?? Thanks

Dan

__________________
Copeman60 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 12-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JoshH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 158
Liked 43 Times on 21 Posts

Default

They fit just fine, the spikes billet gen2 upper cut to fit a Magpul BADD lever, some others like the Seekins won't accept it. I do think they look a little cooler on the billet lower but still cool on the standard lower.

__________________
JoshH is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JoshH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 158
Liked 43 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Here's the fit.

forumrunner_20131213_010939.jpg   forumrunner_20131213_010948.jpg  
__________________
JoshH is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sensei9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Aberdeen,WA
Posts: 67
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Just don't understand the need for a billet upper. Standard uppers should work fine. Bought one from this guy yesterday, http://www.tacticalambush.com/
Looks good, has a keyhole mark on the left side not too crazy about the logos, but nothing I can live with. At the same time, each to their own.

upper1.jpg   upper2.jpg   upper3.jpg   upper4.jpg  
__________________
sensei9 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Copeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 223
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
They fit just fine, the spikes billet gen2 upper cut to fit a Magpul BADD lever, some others like the Seekins won't accept it. I do think they look a little cooler on the billet lower but still cool on the standard lower.
That's looks badass!! How much did that upper cost ya? Is there any play between the upper an lower. Some guys clam that there is play between the two.
__________________
Copeman60 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Copeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 223
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei9 View Post
Just don't understand the need for a billet upper. Standard uppers should work fine. Bought one from this guy yesterday, http://www.tacticalambush.com/
Looks good, has a keyhole mark on the left side not too crazy about the logos, but nothing I can live with. At the same time, each to their own.
Im have a standard upper on my stag build an I have experience with the ar platform just not the bittets. Yes they do work fine im in the market for something different an more durable.
__________________
Copeman60 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweeper22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,348
Liked 227 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default

Receivers (upper and lower) matter mostly in terms of personal pride and 'cool' points. The builder can take joy in them from a personal pride standpoint, and they may pay dividends if you sell a well put together rifle that wears the right names down the line.

The truth is, your receivers aren't under a great deal of stress. They're among the less consequential parts that go into a good build. But since we seem to live in a 'perception is reality' world, the names on receivers often imply something about the build quality (whether true or not). 'Street-Cred', if you will. To some degree, your receivers will wear your rifle's 'hood ornament'...whether it's indicative of the overall quality or not.

I generally build for quality, functionality, a sound scheme, and affordability. Whether I eventually keep or sell, I let the build quality speak for itself. I'm a big fan of Noveske lowers topped with PSA or BCM uppers. It's just a recipe that's treated me well, and I think those who have bought my builds have also benefited from that strategy. That tends to result in a great functioning/looking/marketable rifle in my experience, that can be assembled at a fair price.

Receivers often matter minimally in actual quality, but spending for the right one on a certain rifle can make perfect sense. There's nothing wrong with paying just a little more to get something you'll enjoy marginally more and take great pride in. $50 more for something that matters to you...that you may own and take great pride in for the next 5, 10, 25 years...why not? That seems like a bargain to me. YMMV.

__________________
"The Future is Unwritten"
sweeper22 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Copeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 223
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
Receivers (upper and lower) matter mostly in terms of personal pride and 'cool' points. The builder can take joy in them from a personal pride standpoint, and they may pay dividends if you sell a well put together rifle that wears the right names down the line.

The truth is, your receivers aren't under a great deal of stress. They're among the less consequential parts that go into a good build. But since we seem to live in a 'perception is reality' world, the names on receivers often imply something about the build quality (whether true or not). 'Street-Cred', if you will. To some degree, your receivers will wear your rifle's 'hood ornament'...whether it's indicative of the overall quality or not.

I generally build for quality, functionality, a sound scheme, and affordability. Whether I eventually keep or sell, I let the build quality speak for itself. I'm a big fan of Noveske lowers topped with PSA or BCM uppers. It's just a recipe that's treated me well, and I think those who have bought my builds have also benefited from that strategy. That tends to result in a great functioning/looking/marketable rifle in my experience, that can be assembled at a fair price.

Receivers often matter minimally in actual quality, but spending for the right one on a certain rifle can make perfect sense. There's nothing wrong with paying just a little more to get something you'll enjoy marginally more and take great pride in. $50 more for something that matters to you...that you may own and take great pride in for the next 5, 10, 25 years...why not? That seems like a bargain to me. YMMV.
You seem like u know what your talking about so let me tell u what I had in mind for my next build. Im still on the fence about alot of parts so it won't be spot on. Im starting with a spikes lower. For the upper im thinking I wanna go with some bittet brand but im not to that point yet. I have a stag upper on my 16in build an no problems so far so I may just stick with stag for the upper. For the barrel I definitely want a 18 or 20'' either in chrome lined or ss. Maybe a pof heat eliminater to keep the barrel heat more controled. Maybe a stage two trigger or I might safe some $$$ an go with the jp enterprises trigger springs that takes 2 pounds off the standern trigger.. Definitely what a chrome bolt carrier. A heavy buffer from spikes tactical. That's where im at as of now. Please share your knowledge an opinions on this build.. Thank you
__________________
Copeman60 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 3,031
Liked 859 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 522

Default

Not sure why people are so hung up on billet parts. I'd have to say it's just a marketing ploy to get you to spend more. I would also like to see the manufacturing cost difference between a billet, and forged part. I wonder if everybody even knows what billet means……From my understanding; there is forged, billet, and cast. The forged and cast are finished on a CNC machining center, the billet is a solid chunk of metal that was done on that machine completely. Nothing wrong with cast or forged. A lot of heavy duty tools are forged. (Craftsman wrenches, axes…) So I am not concerned with which one it is. I'd have to agree with Sweeper22 to a point. If spending a little more for a NAME will get you a better return when you sell, that MIGHT be worth it. For me, personally, I would shop by feature. I like it to state the specific caliber, and to actually say "Fire", an "Safe". Not into Zombie roll marks, either.

__________________
clr8ter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Copeman60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 223
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Not sure why people are so hung up on billet parts. I'd have to say it's just a marketing ploy to get you to spend more. I would also like to see the manufacturing cost difference between a billet, and forged part. I wonder if everybody even knows what billet means……From my understanding; there is forged, billet, and cast. The forged and cast are finished on a CNC machining center, the billet is a solid chunk of metal that was done on that machine completely. Nothing wrong with cast or forged. A lot of heavy duty tools are forged. (Craftsman wrenches, axes&hellip So I am not concerned with which one it is. I'd have to agree with Sweeper22 to a point. If spending a little more for a NAME will get you a better return when you sell, that MIGHT be worth it. For me, personally, I would shop by feature. I like it to state the specific caliber, and to actually say "Fire",, an "Safe". Not into Zombie roll marks, either.
Ok let me rephrase the question. What advantages does the bittet upper have over the standard ar upper. If there is no advantages then why is the bittet taking over the standard ar platform??
__________________
Copeman60 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Question regarding upper xdm11chad AR-15 Discussion 8 08-31-2012 01:11 PM
Upper Question easterner123 AR-15 Discussion 12 05-23-2011 01:29 AM
Upper Question? WoodysKJ AR-15 Discussion 6 03-26-2011 10:07 PM
AR Upper Build Question - DD Barrel Nut Hard To Thread On To Upper Cnynrat AR-15 Discussion 3 05-27-2009 03:52 AM
Upper Question Silvertip 44 AR-15 Discussion 1 11-15-2008 03:57 AM