Bitter sweet! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bitter sweet!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5802 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Ummm this happens quite frequently around here but I didnt say it out loud
Thats why a lot of say dpms etc is just fine for range use but nothing serious like self defense or police work. If it breaks on the range... meh, so what no biggee. If it breaks when your getting shot at, thats another issue.

First thing i did was rip out all the cheap dpms lpk parts and replace on the panther m4. About the only things left on that gun that is dpms is the barrel and recievers.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #12

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Oh no not another DPMS thread! Lol

Old 09-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #13

Liked 1032 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
ya....honestly a trigger or hammer pin should never fail...there's really not much stress put on them.

Figures it was DPMS.

Just be careful to, and extra LPK laying around just might transmogriphy in to a fully built and functional AR....

Just saying >.<
Yep, it's happened to me 2 1/2 times, the half is being processed at PSA as we speak!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #14

Liked 1032 Times on 725 Posts
Likes Given: 1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Thats why a lot of say dpms etc is just fine for range use but nothing serious like self defense or police work. If it breaks on the range... meh, so what no biggee. If it breaks when your getting shot at, thats another issue.

First thing i did was rip out all the cheap dpms lpk parts and replace on the panther m4. About the only things left on that gun that is dpms is the barrel and recievers.
I ripped out most of a Del-Ton LPK for the same reason. Left the bolt catch, pivot pin and trigger guard but the rest went. I left those only because they looked ok and are a bit of a hassle to replace.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #15

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

YOWSA. mebbe I'm just lucky...no wait...all my trigger have Geissele pins for some darn reason. Mebbe that has something to do with it..........

o.O

Old 09-12-2012, 01:26 AM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Do you have geissele triggers too tikki? I have their ssa that I'm using on my build. Has a nice feel just wanting ur opinion.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No it's not another DPMS thread lol! I love the rifle but I'm taking notes from Jon (hope he doesn't get a big head), it's going to be the boss ladies rifle with a few changes to her preference. Let's focus this thread towards what I'm excited about... my first build!

Now I'll give a run down and y'all tell me what you think of what I want. I've got the the spikes lower ordered, it should ship soon. Now I've already got the $$$ set aside for the stamp, so when it gets here I'm going to get that part done and sent off quickly. While waiting on that I'll save $$$ and order parts as I find them at the price I like. Now for the specs:

Spikes spider lower
PSA CTR lower build kit
BCM BFH 11.5" Carbine Upper and BCG
Troy Alpha Battlerail 9"
w/ low pro gas block (undecided)
Magpul MBUS

I'm also undecided between the Vortex Sparc or an Aimpoint H-1

I also intend to take the Battle Comp, Magpul RVG, MS3, and DD mount and Surefire light off the old rifle (fortunately the boss lady doesn't like those things lol). I'm thinking once it's done it'll be an amazing patrol rifle.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #18

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerry View Post
Do you have geissele triggers too tikki? I have their ssa that I'm using on my build. Has a nice feel just wanting ur opinion.
Yes started out by trying to dyi my own triggers. Never was satisfied. Went through at least 8 milspec psa and dpms triggers. Before finally giving in to the sirens call.

Had a ssa & ssa-e, traded it for a sdc and sde. Then got a sd3g and ALG QMS & ACT. The QMS is better than any trigger I modded. If I wanted a single stageI'd just get jp springs and lighten the hammer. The SD3G is insanely fast, short sweet reset but funky kinda 2 stage but not really pull. The I love the SDC & SDE. Flat bows rock and especially useful when used in conjunction with nerfed Calufornian featureless configurations.

Nothing compares to a Geissele. Well maybe a Timney (met a couple and they are nice) or Ar Gold (never had the pleasure). But factor in one of the best CS in the industry ( and its doubtful that you'll ever need it) and you have a no brainer.

Btw in my feeble attempts at dyi, I spent more than 200 clams and prolly 20+ hours with a dremel and polishing stick. I learned the hard way. Just suck it up and buy a good one. Give your finger the best

Old 09-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Glad I invested in a decent trigger. Are you still using geissele springs?

Old 09-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So my lower came in last week, I went and picked it up and got the tax stamp paperwork filled out.

image-1768506707.jpg

image-2330038053.jpg

I'm going tomorrow to get it signed by the boss and send it off with the check. Then I get to wait but to make myself feel better I've already ordered the Palmetto State Armory STR lower build kit. That'll keep me busy while I save for my upper.