Bitter sweet!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bitter sweet!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Bitter sweet!

So my weekend was bitter sweet, it started off with a major plus since I ordered the spikes tactical spider stripped lower that kicks off my first build, an SBR. For the detail oriented folks it's the one with the bullet markings and the battle flag on the opposite side. And I got everything in order so that when it arrives my guy at the lgs is gonna help with all my tax stamp paperwork... so a good start right? Well I got excited and decided to go to the range on Sunday and shoot my current AR. After just one mag I found half of the hammer retaining pin sitting on the bench in front of me... broke clean in two. I pulled the other half out examined it and then realized I couldn't make it to my preferred lgs for a couple of days and the one close to my house doesn't open until this morning. So I am without my rifle at work tonight. ::tears::

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #2

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Welcome to the SBR world . I got my tax stamp for mine in July after my long wait . If you need some help filling out form 1 lemme know

Old 09-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #3

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Yeah, it's not a bad idea to have a spare LPK for spares. Guess you don't have one yet for the new lower... In a emergency you could move the trigger pin to the hammer and maybe use the broken one for the trigger. Or a drill bit or hard nail. Come to think of it, maybe the trigger pin should be left alone, it could double with jerry-rigging.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Whose lpk were you using? Delton lower parts kit or Spike's?

Last edited by AgentTikki; 09-11-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
Welcome to the SBR world . I got my tax stamp for mine in July after my long wait . If you need some help filling out form 1 lemme know
Thanks I'm pretty excited to get this build going I've already got everything I wanna use picked out. When I get the lower in in gonna go ahead and send off for my stamp that way I can save $$$ and order all my parts. My guy at the lgs is gonna hold the upper for me once I order it, you know so I'm not tempted to pin them together just to see what it looks like lol.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin
Yeah, it's not a bad idea to have a spare LPK for spares. Guess you don't have one yet for the new lower... In a emergency you could move the trigger pin to the hammer and maybe use the broken one for the trigger. Or a drill bit or hard nail. Come to think of it, maybe the trigger pin should be left alone, it could double with jerry-rigging.
Ive only had my AR about a year so I'm still learning what to keep in the case/range bag, but I'm thinking a spare lpk is a must. I just decided to wait cause I'm not confident enough to jerry-rig yet.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki
Who's lpk were you using? Delton lower parts kit or Spike's?
It was the lpk that came with the rifle, a dpms I bought complete to familiarize myself with the platform. I love the rifle but I've realized I'm not a couple hundred rounds a month guy... I'm a little more than that, so that's why I'm building the SBR.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRacerX75x View Post
It was the lpk that came with the rifle, a dpms I bought complete to familiarize myself with the platform. I love the rifle but I've realized I'm not a couple hundred rounds a month guy... I'm a little more than that, so that's why I'm building the SBR.
if you bought the DPMS complete I would contact them and let them know your problem and you may get another lower parts kit free from them to replace it with , you could use that one for a spare then .You can never have enough extra LPK parts laying around , springs do get weak from use and they also sometimes break , its nice to just be able to grab another gun and fix that one when you get home but that becomes a PITA when you dont have another gun handy or the parts to make that 5 min fix.
Also nothing worse than a pin spring going flying when putting together a lower , I dont even look for it anymore I just head to the parts bin and grab another , if I find it when I sweep the garage then good for me if not , Oh well !!!!!

Last edited by purehavoc; 09-11-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #9

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

ya....honestly a trigger or hammer pin should never fail...there's really not much stress put on them.

Figures it was DPMS.

Just be careful to, and extra LPK laying around just might transmogriphy in to a fully built and functional AR....

Just saying >.<

Old 09-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
ya....honestly a trigger or hammer pin should never fail...there's really not much stress put on them.

Figures it was DPMS.

Just be careful to, and extra LPK laying around just might transmogriphy in to a fully built and functional AR....

Just saying >.<
Ummm this happens quite frequently around here but I didnt say it out loud