Biting the bullet - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Biting the bullet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2008, 09:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3481 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsteele View Post
Yes, very helpful actually. Standard non-chrome 1x9 sounds like a good broad range compromise.

John
Nothing wrong with 1:7 or 1:9 if you plan on getting Mil-Surp ammo and just shooting the daylights out of it. Either one will do the job and your accuracy will be more than good enough for standard application.

Looking forward to your build results and a range report! Don't be afraid to post some pictures for the good of the site. The more members we have with evil black rifles before the new election, the better as far as I am concerned.

JD

Old 09-14-2008, 11:03 PM   #12

JD

I will certainly do that :-)

John

---------------------------
John - Miami
KJ4NSE
Member NRA | GCO | GOA | SAF | GCA | ARRL
Why would God invent a thing like Whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:40 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

JD, good info. Except, chrome lined isn't a bad thing either. For alot of the newer folks to the field of firearms or just to AR's, chrome lining could be a blessing of sorts, too.

True, if you were to get down to the business of building a tack driver for competition target shooting, I would definitely leave the chrome lining off the shopping list. The main reason being that we haven't developed a method, or at least a cost effective method of applying chrome lining to the bore that is consistent and equal thickness all around. How far off is it? Not enough to really worry about for most of the shooting population. Still there are those that feel that the fact that it isn't concentric in the bore will effect their shooting enough to make them stay away from chrome lining. I think it's the extra $40-50 more than anything

For newer shooters, I find that the chrome lining is more of a blessing, in that it eases maintenance and cleaning of their new firearm and offers a bit more protection to the bore and chamber. No, it isn't a necessity, nor is it a bad thing either. For target or varmint guns, I do prefer a non-chromed line barrel or a stainless steel one. For tactical application or home defense, either is acceptable, but if it is something that will see alot of rounds - I will go with chrome, just for the easier cleaning. No, I'm not lazy at maintenance either, as anyone in my house will attest to. I'm a fanatic at keeping my 'tools' in working order and where they belong.

So to Johnsteele, you are getting alot of great info here, and as some of the other members will tell you, helpful, too. Good luck on your new AR.

Slo

Old 09-15-2008, 12:47 AM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3481 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

excellent post slow - I was posting in a hurry before leaving for the day and really didn't delve into the deeper points of the chrome barrel.

I wouldn't put one on a tack driving comp rifle, but to be honest, my 17" home tac unit is a chrome lined barrel and it groups just fine.

Great information as always from the Slow & Ready man...

JD

Old 09-15-2008, 12:49 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Midway USA sale

I just checked my mail box and noticed that Midway USA has a sale going on and a HUGE clearance sale, too. Check out the following links for example:

DPMS - 6-position stock and A2 stocks:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eclearance.exe/browse?promotionid=9076&brandid=1413

Stoner Mult-tool for AR-15 (great price)

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=271183&t=11082005

Great price on the Millet DMS red-dot scope:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=186660&t=11082005

And the huge clearance link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Promotion/?promotionid=13371&eblastid=909200816&custnum=1008 20486&utm_source=shopnow&utm_medium=eblast90920081 6

Hopefully not breaking any forum regs by posting helpful links. I have ordered quite a few items from these folks with nothing but excellent results and prices.

Slo

Old 09-17-2008, 01:20 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

My RRA came with a 20" stainless bbl. with 1 in 9 twist. I like that rate because it allows accurate shooting of 55 to 80 grain bullets. My handloads using Sierral 69 gr. BTHP Matchkings( basically the middle of the spectrum) groups well within an inch (1/2" if I do my part!) at 100 yds. Your 16" tube with a 1:9 twist should provide you with very good accuracy - in the 1-2" range with ammo in the 62-80gr range. As JD pointed out, the free-float handguard makes a difference as well as dissipating heat better. Also, if you bench rest you rifle you have less chance of barrel distortion with the free-float handguard. Good luck!

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 09-17-2008 at 01:25 AM.