Biting the bullet
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Biting the bullet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Biting the bullet

I finally bit the bullet and started on my first EBR.

I've ordered the Doublestar Stripped Lower from Buds Gun Shop (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411534767).

I'm looking at the Del-Ton 16" M4 Rifle Kit RKT100 (http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt100.htm) that contains the
rest of the parts needed.

I need to decide about a few things like handguards --- I'm leaning to something with rails rather than the standard handguard for flexibility; and for sights installing a scope and going with a flip up front sight rather than the fixed sight.

Any thoughts, Dillinger :-)

I'm going the build route for the fun of building my own and I need to save some money so I can finally get my M-1 Garand without my wife evicting me.

---------------------------
John - Miami
KJ4NSE
Member NRA | GCO | GOA | SAF | GCA | ARRL
Why would God invent a thing like Whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsteele View Post
I finally bit the bullet and started on my first EBR.

I've ordered the Doublestar Stripped Lower from Buds Gun Shop (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411534767).

I'm looking at the Del-Ton 16" M4 Rifle Kit RKT100 (http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt100.htm) that contains the
rest of the parts needed.

I need to decide about a few things like handguards --- I'm leaning to something with rails rather than the standard handguard for flexibility; and for sights installing a scope and going with a flip up front sight rather than the fixed sight.

Any thoughts, Dillinger :-)

I'm going the build route for the fun of building my own and I need to save some money so I can finally get my M-1 Garand without my wife evicting me.
good choice on the del-ton kit
that's what i basically went with
as for the handguards you can get the standard CAR guards and have rails installed
but JD knows a lot more than me so...
he'll answer your question

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 09-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Thanks for the shout out John, there are several good knowledgable people who will weigh in as well. We have a good community of well informed guys ( and gals ) here.

Fore-ends? Do you want free floated? Or do you want a standard AR fore-end?

Free floated are more accurate, and dissipate heat better, they also cost more.

The best stuff going, for the price, in my mind is the stuff from Yankee Hill Machine. Their fore-ends are all free floated and a great deal. I have three YHM fore-ends on my 2 complete builds and the one I am working on. They have several with rails as well. I believe they also offer a "to order" version of one of their rails that will allow you to spec out what you want.

Their folding sights are as good, if not better, than the Troy models at like 1/2 the price.

You can get other standard front end hand guards that have rails on them. The key with the rails is to get something that's comfortable. I don't know about a lot of the guys, but I can't stand the M4 fore end that is 4 solid rails from the receiver to the end of the handguard. It's just too bulky and uncomfortable.

Give me an idea of your end goal, and your price range for each part, and I will see what I can find in my list O' many things.

JD

Old 09-12-2008, 08:28 PM   #4

JD

Thanks much. For fore-ends I'm a novice at the EBR. I like the idea of the free-float from a heat standpoint and if it provides better accuracy and handling so much the better. Del-Ton offers the YHM fore-ends (4 rail free-float) for the kit at a reasonable upcharge ($70.00) compared to the other options.

They also offer the YMH flip up front gas block for an upcharge of $65.

My primary end goal is a good target piece and the satisfaction of assembling one of these myself. I am not a hunter so that isn't a consideration. At this point I'm interested in completing a servicable AR without breaking the bank --- need some money left for ammo, and to finally buy my Garand :-)

John

John - Miami
KJ4NSE
Why would God invent a thing like Whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

Last edited by johnsteele; 09-12-2008 at 08:34 PM.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:53 PM   #5

john - Yeah, that is what kind of scares me with that drop down menu pricing they have. I am not 100% sure of what product you are getting.

For handguards, they have a couple of YHM listed, but they don't match the names and prices of ones on the YHM website.

Two of the ones they offer are of the 4 rail varity, which is fine, if you want four rails for your fore end. It's not really practical unless you are adding a front mounted tac light, a pistol front grip, perhaps a bipod and/or a laser ( which I don't personally care for ).

The four rail systems are sharp on the hands, and they are bulky. Personally I don't care for them. That is a personal choice. If you want the extra rail space, go with the upgrade because it's a good piece of kit. The YHM is top shelf.

For $28 bucks I would try the DPMS Free Float tube and see how YOU like it. If you hate it, you can buy plenty of free float tubes in the after market. I wouldn't risk the extra cash on the YHM unless you really want a full length 4 full rail configuration.

For $60 the Magpul CTR is a great upgrade if you want a real good multi position collapsible stock.

If not, go with the standard M4 for "free" or the A2, which is the standard, one position fixed stock.

Grip choice? I like the Ergo ambi for $17. They have a nice feel in the hand and are resistant to some moisture like sweat. They are easy to buy and install in the after market though, so if price is a problem, try the bone stock one and see what YOU like.

Detachable carry handle? I vote for none. That is a personal choice, but if you are planning on getting folding sights, there isn't a reason to have the handle too.

Flash hider is a crap shoot. Phantom are good, but not nearly the best out there, so any one of them is probably fine unless you plan on doing A LOT night work.

I think the YHM flip up gas block is their combo gas block and folding front site. If you can confirm that, that is a great price for that piece of gear. I would totally go for that if that is the case.

Lower parts kit? If you can afford it, the RRA 2-stage trigger upgrade is a wonderful addition. If you can't it only costs about $95 in the aftermarket and you can change the trigger in about 5 minutes with a little know how. The stock trigger will be fine, and there are a couple of tuning tricks I can share with you, but right now RRA is turning out the best trigger for the money out there...

Charging handle? I like the Badger Ord add on for $17. It's not necessary, but I added it to both my current weapons and I like the added real estate it gives for positive reloads.

That's what I would think about doing, running down that page brother. Your mileage may vary - as will the opinions on the board here.

JD

Old 09-12-2008, 09:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
john - Yeah, that is what kind of scares me with that drop down menu pricing they have. I am not 100% sure of what product you are getting.

For handguards, they have a couple of YHM listed, but they don't match the names and prices of ones on the YHM website.

Two of the ones they offer are of the 4 rail varity, which is fine, if you want four rails for your fore end. It's not really practical unless you are adding a front mounted tac light, a pistol front grip, perhaps a bipod and/or a laser ( which I don't personally care for ).

The four rail systems are sharp on the hands, and they are bulky. Personally I don't care for them. That is a personal choice. If you want the extra rail space, go with the upgrade because it's a good piece of kit. The YHM is top shelf.

For $28 bucks I would try the DPMS Free Float tube and see how YOU like it. If you hate it, you can buy plenty of free float tubes in the after market. I wouldn't risk the extra cash on the YHM unless you really want a full length 4 full rail configuration.

For $60 the Magpul CTR is a great upgrade if you want a real good multi position collapsible stock.

If not, go with the standard M4 for "free" or the A2, which is the standard, one position fixed stock.

Grip choice? I like the Ergo ambi for $17. They have a nice feel in the hand and are resistant to some moisture like sweat. They are easy to buy and install in the after market though, so if price is a problem, try the bone stock one and see what YOU like.

Detachable carry handle? I vote for none. That is a personal choice, but if you are planning on getting folding sights, there isn't a reason to have the handle too.

Flash hider is a crap shoot. Phantom are good, but not nearly the best out there, so any one of them is probably fine unless you plan on doing A LOT night work.

I think the YHM flip up gas block is their combo gas block and folding front site. If you can confirm that, that is a great price for that piece of gear. I would totally go for that if that is the case.

Lower parts kit? If you can afford it, the RRA 2-stage trigger upgrade is a wonderful addition. If you can't it only costs about $95 in the aftermarket and you can change the trigger in about 5 minutes with a little know how. The stock trigger will be fine, and there are a couple of tuning tricks I can share with you, but right now RRA is turning out the best trigger for the money out there...

Charging handle? I like the Badger Ord add on for $17. It's not necessary, but I added it to both my current weapons and I like the added real estate it gives for positive reloads.

That's what I would think about doing, running down that page brother. Your mileage may vary - as will the opinions on the board here.

JD
JD. Appreciate the observations. I'm inclined to your suggestions as you have loads more experience in this than me :-) The upgrades you suggest are not that much more money (where have we heard that before ?) and it sounds like they will improve the handling of the weapon.

John

John - Miami
KJ4NSE

Old 09-12-2008, 09:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsteele View Post
JD. Appreciate the observations. I'm inclined to your suggestions as you have loads more experience in this than me :-) The upgrades you suggest are not that much more money (where have we heard that before ?) and it sounds like they will improve the handling of the weapon.

John
John - Those are just the ones that I like. I have tried a lot of stuff, so I generally go with what I know. It would be easy to say the most expensive option is the best, but in the AR world, that isn't the case 100% of the time.

Wait a few days and let some of the other guys way in. Slowrdy, JPBeck & RL357 also have a ton of AR knowledge and will no doubt weigh in, they are pretty active in the AR threads. There are also some other guys who weigh in occassionally.

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 09-13-2008 at 12:27 AM.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:10 PM   #8

JD

Would you suggest staying with the standard 1x9 barrel or going to the 1x9 Chrome or the 1x7 Chrome? I've read things that seem to indicate the chrome lined barrel doesn't do much for most applications.

John

John - Miami
KJ4NSE

Old 09-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #9

John - The chrome lined barrel was first put into place for rapid fire, high ammo count firefights. It will allow you to have a barrel that lasts a good long time, the down side is that it's not the best for accuracy.

Now, facts being what they are - you aren't building a tack driver for 400 yard or 600 yard competition with a 16" factory barrel on a factory action. If you want a tack driver, better plan on adding a few hundred to your base line budget and start shopping a little higher end parts.

A 16" factory barrel, put together on a well built upper, will probably pull 2 to 3 MOA ( Minute of Angle ) or a little better. What that means is, you can group multiple shots in 2" at 100 yards for 2 MOA or 3" at 100 yards for 3 MOA.

There is nothing wrong with that level of accuracy on a tactical carbine style rifle. For home defense, that is more than adequate.

Now, as to twist rate.

What grain bullet are you going to be shooting? If your planning on stocking up on SHTF surplus ammo, like the 55 grain stuff, the 1:7 will be just fine for your applications. This twist rate should also shoot the heavier grain stuff well.

Now, if you are going to shoot lower grain weight bullets, you want to slow the twist rate of the ammo down so they don't over cycle and split. 1:9 is really a good across the middle spectrum twist rate. It won't shoot real light, or real heavy bullets, as accurately but anything in the middle of the spectrum it will shoot all day.

A 1:12 if you want to drop way down to like 40 grain, or below, for varmint slaying.

Hope that helps -

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 09-14-2008 at 07:40 PM.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #10

Yes, very helpful actually. Standard non-chrome 1x9 sounds like a good broad range compromise.

John

John - Miami
KJ4NSE